mtbr member

huge difference between Trance X 29er 1 and 2?

MSRP ther is about an $800 difference....From the little knowledge I have I know the front fork and rear suspension the 1's Fox is better than the 2's RockShox. How much better I'm not sure....

How about the other components?

I'm really undecided.

Your Best Friend
    Same frame, different everything else. Better wheels, components and a $200+ dropper post. The 2 is a much better value for your dollar.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If you can afford the 1, it's the best buy. You get a lot for the money and comparible bikes are usually several hundred more. The two is a good bike. I'm sure it would be just as much fun, especially if you plan to upgrade things in the future.

mtbr member
    Silentfoe, in your experience does the RS/Fox situation with Maestro hold up on the Trance as well? You've indicated a preference for the RS suspension with Maestro previously, but if memory serves, that was specifically in reference to the Anthem. Just wondering if the Trance is the same for you.

Your Best Friend

Re: huge difference between Trance X 29er 1 and 2?

Sorry, uh, I meant the 1 is a better value. I was momentarily confused. :screwy: As far as Fox vs RS on a trance, I think they both work fine. I'm really not a fan of the Fox CTD and think it's too limiting as a platform. It does work though and it wouldn't deter me from buying a Trance. If I could buy a Trance, it'd be the 1 and I'd do about $1500 in upgrades and come out with a much better bike than the 0 for about the same price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

huge difference between Trance X 29er 1 and 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    If I could buy a Trance, it'd be the 1 and I'd do about $1500 in upgrades and come out with a much better bike than the 0 for about the same price.
    That's my strategy. Lovin it so far. Probably my last major upgrade is wheels then I should be done.

mtbr member
    I'm a noob...this will be my first bike.. I got into the sport and been riding my friends 2001 DiamondBack XR8 FS. He is pushing me to save for the better bike so I won't regret it later once I grow into it.

So yea I guess Ill just save a tad more and go for the x1

mtbr member
    I went went the x1. I would have bought the x2 but I didnt like the color. I like the x2 brakes better than the X1. The wheels, bars, seatpost didnt matter to me because I was going to swap them from my old bike.

I dont have any use for the dropper post so I plan to sell that.

Either one will work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I bought an X2 and love it! I'm a less experienced rider, and coming off a Spec Hardrock. I think both the X1 and X2 are much better value than their respective competitors, but the X1 is one of the best bang-for-the-buck packages currently available. If you don't have a problem dropping almost $3k then buy the X1, but if sub $2k is more your budget get the X2. Neither will be a let down!

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by infanterene View Post
    I dont have any use for the dropper post so I plan to sell that.
    Wait to sell it. Try it for a while and then make your decision. Yes, it will then be used but you can't sell a "take-off" for retail anyway. Here's my prediction...within 5-10 years, every mid to high end mtb will come with a dropper post. Even XC bikes. They work and they aren't that heavy. I only take mine off for short XC races and even with it on, my bike weighs in at 24lbs. Plus if you ever plan to re-sell your bike, it will help. People expect trail/all mountain bikes to have dropper posts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Wait to sell it. Try it for a while and then make your decision. Yes, it will then be used but you can't sell a "take-off" for retail anyway. Here's my prediction...within 5-10 years, every mid to high end mtb will come with a dropper post. Even XC bikes. They work and they aren't that heavy. I only take mine off for short XC races and even with it on, my bike weighs in at 24lbs. Plus if you ever plan to re-sell your bike, it will help. People expect trail/all mountain bikes to have dropper posts.
    i felt the same way about dropper posts, before i used one. now I love the dropper post. it comes in handy and makes riding some super tech stuff a little safer. it allows me to get a nice seat position for riding and efficient pedaling, then get the seat out of the way when i need to for technical stuff...instead of trying to find a happy medium with a solid post for the whole ride, or stopping to adjust the seat down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XyesterdayX View Post
    I bought an X2 and love it! I'm a less experienced rider, and coming off a Spec Hardrock. I think both the X1 and X2 are much better value than their respective competitors, but the X1 is one of the best bang-for-the-buck packages currently available. If you don't have a problem dropping almost $3k then buy the X1, but if sub $2k is more your budget get the X2. Neither will be a let down!
    Yea my original budget was going to be solid at max $2100 but my friend is telling me the x1 is much better

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    ZeroSkillet, your friend is esstially right. Realistically though, "better" is different to different people. For me-- I was coming from a budget bike, so the X5/X7 component group in the Trance 29er X2 was already a step above what I was used to riding. The Trance X2 is a "better" bike than what I came out of. There is always something "better", I'd just recommend getting what is right for you. I could say that a car worth $8,000 more than the one I drive is better, but it doesn't mean that my car is a pile of junk! Get what you can afford, and what makes you happy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XyesterdayX View Post
    ZeroSkillet, your friend is esstially right. Realistically though, "better" is different to different people. For me-- I was coming from a budget bike, so the X5/X7 component group in the Trance 29er X2 was already a step above what I was used to riding. The Trance X2 is a "better" bike than what I came out of. There is always something "better", I'd just recommend getting what is right for you. I could say that a car worth $8,000 more than the one I drive is better, but it doesn't mean that my car is a pile of junk! Get what you can afford, and what makes you happy!
    Yea you're absolutely right on everything you said.

At the least the components on the x2 aren't junk amirite? I love the x1 but the price difference is kind of hard to justify right now. Im not in the most ideal economical situation.....To be honest the only parts I really wish were different where the Fox suspension....but I can upgrade that and wheels at a later time.

Your Best Friend
    Get the bike you can afford and ride the hell out of it. Someday you can look for a nicer bike but in the meantime you'll be riding and having fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I was in your shoes also and was debating on the x1 or x2. I went the x2 route and upgraded a few things such as wheels, Thompson seat post, new bars, full x7, hope hubs, Ergon grips and a WTB speed saddle. A little over a grand in upgrades and my bike performs better than the x1 in my opinion. The only other upgrades I will make is a new crank and fork when the current ones wear out. I personally prefer the rockshock over the fox stuff on these bikes. I will go with a Reba fork when mine wears out. Buy the one with the component package in your budget now and upgrade as you can if you need to but the x2 is an awesome bike without any of that stuff. I just had a little extra money to burn and found great deals.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Get the bike you can afford and ride the hell out of it. Someday you can look for a nicer bike but in the meantime you'll be riding and having fun.
    perfectly said!