mtbr member
    Apr 2004

How tall are you and what size is your NRS

Trying to decide on a size and need some help. I'm 6' and am looking at an 18.5, and don't have access to the next size up. Help is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

18.5 seems a bit small for a 6 footer.

Quote Originally Posted by mosovich
    Trying to decide on a size and need some help. I'm 6' and am looking at an 18.5, and don't have access to the next size up. Help is appreciated.
    I'm 6 foot and the 20.5 one fits me about perfect. I'd be more comfortable on the next size up vs. the next size down. In fact, over vacation I rode a 22 inch hardtail. One problem I find with smaller frames, is they put the handlebars too low vs. the seat height.

I love Pisgah
    I race/ride both a 18.5" and 20.5 NRS. I'm 5' 11.5" tall. The 18.5" will be probably "ok"..but endo prone with a long enough stem(120mm+ to clear your,my knees when outta the saddle)when combined with the lower crown height of an 80mm fork. I speak from experience regarding this. The 20.5 "sometimes" feel a bit big(110mm stem ATM), but all in all, it fits me better in reality. My large 19" Moab HT fits me perfect. Go figure. Also one can't say for sure either way cause of longer/shorter then average arms, legs, torso, etc. I've seen riders up to 6.2" ride the 18.5" here and were happy.

[paste title here]
    Im 5'6'' and Im riding a 16.5 NRS. Its fits perfectly to me but when my friend rides it (hes about 5'7'') he thinks its way to small for him.
    Keep Pedaling

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I am 6' 0" and 18.5"...

...seems just a little small. Been ridin' it 3 years, though. Never got an opportunity to try 20.5".

On MTBR hiatus :(
    I am 6'1 w/ 33.5" inseam and rode a Medium (18.5) 2001 model. The difference in TT length that year was minimal (10 or 15mm) for the nearly 50mm loss in standover with the larger frame.

I believe they changed the geometry in '02, and I think again this year, but I'll still bet you're a candidate for the 18.5.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks for the feedback, this is what happened....

I went to the shop and rode the 18.5 inch again, still no 20 inch available. I went ahead and got it. I rode a hour tonight and it felt great. So, I hope I made the right decision. My inseam is 31.5. I'm posting a pic, what do you think??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (43.7 KB, 432 views)

Born on 2 Wheels
    Nice Bike! I built up my NRS got it off ebay. Mines a 18.5 and i 5'10 and it fits great! I would tell you to get the 18.5
    I'll post new pics of my new skareb soon!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Shut up and Ride"

Santa Cruz Heckler Ano Silver "Silver Bullet"
    Fox DHX 5.0
    Fox Vanilla 130 R
    AWSOME!

I love Pisgah

Looks good except for the saddle color:)

Ha-ha..

We appear to run the same "post"..meaning length.

I think you'll be fine. My inseam is 32". My 18.5" race bike is perfect the way its setup at the moment. 120mm x 6* stem, 100mm fork, 350mm carbon post with 5mm left below the "line".

As of 5 minutes ago(yes, the 4.5" rockers are off yet again), ready to go for next weeks round 3 of our state series xc race. Can't wait.

Enjoy your new ride,

Duck

mtbr member

6'2" 18.5

Hey people,
    on the subject of size, I was wondering what you all thought about my NRS size. I'm 6'2" / 205lbs. Do you think this 18.5 NRS is the wrong frame for me. I've been riding it for about a year and get a sore lower back after long rides. I was looking at a 20.5 VT for size and durablility reasons. I usually ride aggresive XC. Do you think that's a wise option or would it be little to no difference? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I don't know about that...

I think at 6'2", and 18.5 would be too small. Mine works fine, but if I was any taller, I don't think it would. I did my second ride on mine tonight and it definately works for me, but like I said if I was any taller, I'd at least try the next size up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Problem I see with too small frames is comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by col200
    Hey people,
    on the subject of size, I was wondering what you all thought about my NRS size. I'm 6'2" / 205lbs. Do you think this 18.5 NRS is the wrong frame for me. I've been riding it for about a year and get a sore lower back after long rides. I was looking at a 20.5 VT for size and durablility reasons. I usually ride aggresive XC. Do you think that's a wise option or would it be little to no difference? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Unless you are comfortable with low bars...or you don't like leg extension, you will feel cramped and leaned over on a frame that is that small. I have a 32-33 inch inseam and I find that when I adjust the saddle high enough to get a comfortable extension the handlebars end up much too low on medium framed bikes. Even on my 20.5 inch framed NRS I added 40mm of spacer coupled with a 10 degree stem. I think I might even try a 15 degree stem.

It has a lot to do with your riding style. A racer who is all about speed might want to be slung way down over the bars but I find that position uncomfortable for long rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I am 6 feet even and

ride a 18.5 NRS (about 3 years). At 6'2" I definitely think you need the 20.5. Sorry, don't have any *knowledgeable* info on sore back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

... and if we just ...

I My inseam is 31.5.?

I am 5'10" and ride a 18.5. I was concerned it was too small for me (every one thought I was crazy) when I first bought it however I love it now. It fits like a glove. The 18.5 will be a little lighter and quicker in, around and out of the corners. I think it will also handle better if you like to get air born. This is mearly my opinion I am not a proffesional. I have a 32 inseam. If it starts to feel too small you can alwasy get a longer stem and/or a seat post that sets back.

Enjoy. I love my NRS1

Sprocket

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    I'm around 6'1 to 6'2" with a 34 inseam and ride a 20.5 - it's right for me!
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

I love Pisgah
    Let me try to fix that bigass X...

Ops...Damn!

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by col200
    Hey people,
    Thanks
    Several things can be attributable to a sore back. I am no DR so will not comment or make suggestions of the possible cause.

I think when you are prone to soreness etc, bike fit is even more important. An 18.5" would be on the small side for you - You would have to run a great deal of post to get the correct amount of leg extension. You would also probably have to run a 130mm stem which is too short. The TT on the 18.5" is on the short side IMHO so I think you really need the large. You could then run a 110mm stem for comfort.

As a general rule of thumb for very technical riding, a rider is benefitted by a smaller bike but it should not be overly small. Being 6.2" a 18.5" would be overly small. Usually a smaller frame provides a rider with a more flickable ride and something that is easier to get around technical stuff.
    Trev!

mtbr remember
    I'm 5'8" w/out shoes and I ride the 18.5in NRS with a 90mm15deg thomson stem. I probably could fit the 16.5 fine, but ebay swayed my decision, and I'm very happy with the decision. I would post pics, but I don't have access to a digital camera.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    I'm 5'8" w/out shoes and I ride the 18.5in NRS with a 90mm15deg thomson stem. I probably could fit the 16.5 fine, but ebay swayed my decision, and I'm very happy with the decision. I would post pics, but I don't have access to a digital camera.
    May I jump in here? After a year, I'm still a little perplexed re Giant sizing (xtc geometry); I'm only 5'9", but have a true 33" cycling inseam, shortish torso, and longish arms. Riding a 17" Iguana frame (= to 16.5 NRS or 17 xtc). I get proper leg extension w/o exceeding the max extension line (about 8and 1/2" of post showing). The stock 15degree stem w/risers keeps the grip tops about level with the saddle. BUT: I've had a lot of sort of unexplained aches pains in wrists/arms; for example, I often find myself riding with my wrists on top of the bars, hands hanging over/seems sometimes oddly more comfortable. Should this be telling me anything? Am I on a size too small? Just wondering if anyone's gone through a similiar process -- I'm trying to work out if I should keep playing with stem length, bar rise etc. or just bite the decreased standover and go to a 19"? (BTW, LBS said I was definitely a 17; 19 would be "too big" -- I just followed their advice). Any thoughts/experiences greatly appreciated.