thats my red stapler

How much does your NRS weigh?

I just finished building my new NRS 03 my goal was to be sub 25 lbs but i ended up at 26lbs. I know Duck's got his somewhere around 22 and im wondering how the f*** that can happen. I didnt go ultralight but I definately factored in weight when picking components:

SLR XP
    Alien Alum Seatpost
    Marta SL
    X.9 R Shifter w/IRD Meta wires
    X.0 F Shifter
    X.0 R Der
    XTR F Der
    RF Turbine LP w/ 20.30.42 rings w/ TI bolts
    RF Ti BB
    TALAS RL
    Kenda Karma w/ Stans
    HUGI (Hayes) with Mavic 317s
    RItchey WCS Stem
    Easton EC 70
    Cinelli Cork
    Sette Barends
    Cycle Dynamics Ti Cassette
    Time Pedals

[SIZE=4]= 26 LBS [/SIZE]

and without spending stupid money i dont know what else to do
    Last edited by jimjo; 04-16-2004 at 09:15 AM.
    [SIZE=2]when the going gets tough the world gets reduced to one pedal stroke at a time[/SIZE]

I love Pisgah
    It semed impossible at first for me as well. When I first weighed it after its 2nd rebuild, it was 26lbs even. 26lbs? I about died, but the scale doesn't lie. But, after another full yr of detail stuff(plus tons more $$), I'm at a true 21lb 11oz right now. Truly. My fork is 3lbs. My BB is a 145gm ti deal with ti crankbolts and all alum chainwear with superlight and downsized rings. Duraace cassette and light AC/Hugi hubs with ti spokes. Every single bolt on the bike is ti or alum. Yes, even the upper(65mmx6mm and lower(35mmx6mm) shockbolts. The pivot pin capbolts to the rockers. All ti, as is all the std stuff like stem, postclamp, etc. Alum for the shifter and brake(Formula 03 B4Pros, which are superlight themselves)pinch bar bolts, as it the caliper frame and breakdown bolts. Alum front rotor w/ ti/alum hardwear, with a 140m mini rear rotor. Twin ti Eggs. Carbon post, saddle, bars, cranks. bolt on skewers. Etc etc etc. I have truly..$400, just in ti and alum bolts in this rig. Sad but true.

The other black NRS is the same except for steel shock bolts, and the components are more epic spec stuff like the ti riser bar and such. Right now its about 24.3lbs in its current config. Alum 138gm isis FRM BB with alum crankbolts w/ a 2x9 and alum chainwear. XTR cassette. AC wheelset with VXC rims. WCS stem. All ti and alum hardware as the above. 140mm rear rotor. Aspid saddle. 3lb 5oz 02 Marathon 100mm airfork. etc etc etc.

thats my red stapler
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Etc etc etc. I have truly..$400, just in ti and alum bolts in this rig. Sad but true...
    yeah thats kind of what i figured by reading some of your other posts. im really happy with the build just a little bummed by the final weight. the engine needs to shed some pounds before spending more money on the bike
    [SIZE=2]when the going gets tough the world gets reduced to one pedal stroke at a time[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Re:Ti

Where did you find the Ti bolts?

I love Pisgah
    racebolts.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    My 2004 NRS AIR (medium) is at 23.75 lbs.

Full XTR Disc (including pedals)
    Rock Shox SID Team
    Mavic SL wheel
    Easton Composite (EC70) seatpost
    Easton Composite (EC90) handlebar
    Easton Mag. (MG60) stem

I am thinking of replacing the Rock Shox to FOX F80X which will add to almost a pound.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

my o4' NRS air is 24.25...

With many upgrades. Moots Ti post, Ti BB, Race face cranks, Trailbear (real tires with meaty treads)2.25's with stan's, FSA stem, Ti cassette 12-34, Lock on grips, monkeylite Hi, Terry Ti saddle, Ti skewers, EVERY single bolt (except der. trim) Ti or Alu, including the linkage bolts, Ti/Ti expeedo pedals, that's about it. I am waiting on Carbon FSA cranks, and hopefully some lighter brakes, we will see. I tried to make this bike good for heavy duty trail use (knobbies, Lock on's, etc), and not just a racer. Very dope bike, I love it!

will race for beer
    Mar 2004

04 Nrs -1

I have a 2004 NRS-1 (18.5")
    Stock Except for

Fork - Fox RLT
    Crank/BB - 04 XT
    shifters - XT pods
    rear deraiuler - 04 XTR
    pedals - eggbeaters SS

On my cheepO scale it reads 25.4 lbs.

I plan to upgrade a few things later this year to try to save a little weight.
    brakes (Hayes 9 seem to be quite a bit heavier than others)
    bar and post - carbon
    seat
    wheels - plan on getting a set of wheels just to race on

I think that I can cut about 2 lbs without spending too much money or sacrificing durability. In the end 'precieved weight' is more important than actual weight. Lighter wheels will make the bike feel quicker and lighter than most other upgrades.

mtbr remember
    jimjo - I would have to say drop the Talas if your looking to drop weight - it weighs around 4lbs. BTW, how do you like the Talas on an NRS, you want to sell it? I have been looking at getting one since weight is not an issue with me, and I ride it more for trails. Do you have an pics you can post or already have? I really want to see an NRS with a TALAS.

thats my red stapler
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    jimjo - I would have to say drop the Talas if your looking to drop weight - it weighs around 4lbs. BTW, how do you like the Talas on an NRS, you want to sell it? I have been looking at getting one since weight is not an issue with me, and I ride it more for trails. Do you have an pics you can post or already have? I really want to see an NRS with a TALAS.
    Yeah I knew it was heavy going in, but at 180lbs anything lighter is just way too flexy. I made some compromises when i put it all together. some of it was budget some of it was preference / performance... I was just really surprised when it was 26lbs... i was really hoping/expecting to be sub 25 closer to 24.

As far as the talus goes, performance wise i couldnt be happier. Im still getting used to it though. between remembering to unlock the LO after climbs and before downhills.( i hit two big downhills this weekend with the fork locked out)

The travel is really nice if you know the trails you are riding. that way you can adjust it before a uphill or a downhill. I never really know what position its in. its either 85mm or its somewhere inbetween.85 and 125 you can adjust it while riding but its not something that is super easy to do (you kind of have to slow down or be riding a flat non technical section) i would really love to have a remote for it

I still have the clunk im not too worried anymore knowing that its a known issue that can be fixed and its not my headset. (although it still feels that way) Clanking sound on my new TALAS...

I'll try to post some pictures tonight. PM me if you have any other questions

mtbr remember
    Jimjo -Have you seen that new Manitou Nixon fork? It has adjustable travel from a remote mounted on the handlebar. I think it weighs a little over 4lbs, so a couple of ounces heavier than the Talas, not lightweight by any means, but I think this is the way most forks will be going in the near future - the adjustable travel/geometry. I wonder what Fox has in store for competition?

thats my red stapler
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    Jimjo -Have you seen that new Manitou Nixon fork? It has adjustable travel from a remote mounted on the handlebar. I think it weighs a little over 4lbs, so a couple of ounces heavier than the Talas, not lightweight by any means, but I think this is the way most forks will be going in the near future - the adjustable travel/geometry. I wonder what Fox has in store for competition?
    No i havent where did you see it? Im hoping that fox come out with something after market. I think the new Rock shox has something similar. The problem that i see is that it takes so many revolutions to adjust the talas that it could be hard to make it cable actuated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

how heavy

does anyone know how much a nrs 3 frame and shock weigh?

Maestro
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tony0643
    does anyone know how much a nrs 3 frame and shock weigh?
    According to Weight Weenies:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/

A 2000 Giant NRS Medium weighs 5.62 lbs or 2548 g

A 2004 Giant NRS Air Medium weighs 5.53 lbs or 2509 g

thats my red stapler
    Quote Originally Posted by jimjo
    Yeah I knew it was heavy going in, but at 180lbs anything lighter is just way too flexy. I made some compromises when i put it all together. some of it was budget some of it was preference / performance... I was just really surprised when it was 26lbs... i was really hoping/expecting to be sub 25 closer to 24.

As far as the talus goes, performance wise i couldnt be happier. Im still getting used to it though. between remembering to unlock the LO after climbs and before downhills.( i hit two big downhills this weekend with the fork locked out)

The travel is really nice if you know the trails you are riding. that way you can adjust it before a uphill or a downhill. I never really know what position its in. its either 85mm or its somewhere inbetween.85 and 125 you can adjust it while riding but its not something that is super easy to do (you kind of have to slow down or be riding a flat non technical section) i would really love to have a remote for it

I still have the clunk im not too worried anymore knowing that its a known issue that can be fixed and its not my headset. (although it still feels that way) Clanking sound on my new TALAS...

I'll try to post some pictures tonight. PM me if you have any other questions

i posted a couple of pics here

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...462#post161462

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    mine is 23 lbs.

MBAA!
    Quote Originally Posted by brakejack
    mine is 23 lbs.
    Why did you bump a 7 month old thread?
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"