mtbr member
    Apr 2008

How much can XTC Alliance handle?

I got my bike thinking I would not be comfortable doing any drops or jumps so I did not worry about my frame. I figured It would be cross country single track and multi-use trails with the occasional logs and what not. But, now that I am much more comfortable on my bike I occasionally see something that I want to do, but am owrried about breaking the carbon seat stays. For example, I was recently out in St Charles, Missouri and was cruising around the multi-use trail with my girlfriends brother in law. On one section we were in a parking lot that is higher than the trail by about 2 1/2' with a 4' gap separating the trail for the parking lot, it kind of was like a small drop with a slope into the trail. So the first day I just did a manual/wheelie or whatever down back into the trail, but on the second day I was going fast and wanted to jump it, but got nervus about my frame. In downtown St Charles we were behind some factory that had some awesome rolling drop offs in this parking lot, maybe 24-30" but again I didnt do it because I dont want my frame failing from under me. Am I being too paranoid about this? I thought I read somewhere that XC is classified as 2' drops and under, am I right on this? I just want to know how much I can throw at this bike, and I will not be doing anyting crazy at all...I suck and dont have the balls to do anyting big. Does anyone have any insight for me? I will be getting a fs of some sort next year, I just dont want to break this frame. Sorry for the lenghty post, I just am weary about carbon frames in certain situations. Thanks for any guidance.

mtbr member
    I am in the same situation but I have the xtc aluminum frame. I thought I would be racing but still have not. I will end up with a full susp soon (waiting for the 09s to come out).
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

Cycle Solutions
    Stick to XC riding with your bike if you want it to have a long life. Not only is the frame not designed for it but the wheels, fork, ect arent either.

wants a taco
    you will be fine with 2-3 ft drops. Frame failures are getting to be more and more rare and even so you might still be able to take advantage of giants lifetime warrenty on your frame because anymore 2-3 ft drops are commonplace in xc.

PurpleIsFasterThanRed!
    People, get real. Just imagine what happens with a bicycle while descending 50mph on mountain trail, or on a real XC track. Jumping from whatever that other parts withstand is nothing

I've got carbon chainstays and seatstays in alu frame, and never thought it could break.

Cheers
    vi3dr0
    Aluminium Carbon / Damping Composite

mtbr member

review?

can anyone give a ride review on the xtc alliance frame/bike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapmanMTB27
    I am in the same situation but I have the xtc aluminum frame. I thought I would be racing but still have not. I will end up with a full susp soon (waiting for the 09s to come out).
    hey guys,my friend here wana sell me a anthem 08 frame soon.not sure to get the 08 or wait for 2009.

anyway is there any advise on :

1)how to check if a 2nd hand fork is in good condition

2)how to check for a 2nd hand shock(rp23)

3)how to check if the rim is dent?

4)how to check if hydro is in good condition?