Reviewer/Tester
    ...lol... good answer..

R.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    ...lol... good answer..

R.
    Woth stupid light parts, maybe 23lbs. But theres no point, at that weight it defeats the purpose of the VT.
    And thats a whole lot of money!!

XC rider/racer

How low??

There was a post on here a month or so ago where a guy (sorry, cant remember his name) had got his down to 27lbs quote "fairly easily, without too many mods".
    Mine`s currently around the 29.3lb mark having changed seat, seatpost, collar, pedals, flyweight inner tubes, tyres
    Theres still some rather easy savings to made on top of what I`ve done already....stock skewers are rather heavy, grips, brake levers, bar, stem etc etc.......I reckon it could be brought down to around the mid 26lb mark before it really started costing you mega-bucks for even more weight savings.
    cheers

mtbr member
    You would have to replace all the sturdy parts with weight weenie parts and that's real expensive.

I agree that most parts can be replaced with lighter parts like Andy said but the idea behind the VT is to be a sturdy do-it-all kind of bike, why change that. If you want a light xc racing rig sell the VT and get a NRS.

XC rider/racer

Vt

Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    You would have to replace all the sturdy parts with weight weenie parts and that's real expensive.

I agree that most parts can be replaced with lighter parts like Andy said but the idea behind the VT is to be a sturdy do-it-all kind of bike, why change that. If you want a light xc racing rig sell the VT and get a NRS.
    Yes, I think you have to ask yourself "at what point do the weight savings I`m making, have a detrimental effect on the bikes sturdiness/reliability for the type of riding I plan to do".

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Yes, I think you have to ask yourself "at what point do the weight savings I`m making, have a detrimental effect on the bikes sturdiness/reliability for the type of riding I plan to do".
    i completely agree

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My guess is the VT has about a pound on the NRS frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    So you could get it down to 23-24lbs by putting thin XC rims and 450gram race tires, titanium railed seat, carbon bar and post...etc., etc...

However, like the others said, you would be compromising the VT's strength.

On the other hand, if you just want to make it into a race bike for weekends, you might consider getting a light wheelset and swapping back and forth for racing and regular riding. A light XC wheelset can easily save a couple pounds.

Danny

XC rider/racer

Weight

I think another thing that really needs strong consideration when putting lightweight components on a bike is the riders weight.
    I weigh 160lbs and have had a Ti railed seat for quite a long time without any probs.......would a rider who weighs around 220lbs have had the same life out of this seat?.....anyones guess, but i know if i weighed up around the 200lb mark I`d certainly be wanting some heavier duty parts underneath me.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    All I want is for my bike to be around 28 to 30 pounds, whats the best way to do that. I am thinking that the tools that I carry on race day like cain tool, extra tube, and pump are adding weight to the bike so I want to make the bike a little lighter.

Reviewer/Tester
    There are two types of weight... dead weight and dynamic weight.

Dead weight is the total weight of your bike plus anything you have added to it like tubes, repair kit, tools, waterbottle..etc.

Dynamic weight is the rider plus anything you are carrying like pack, water, tools etc..

Dynamic weight does not have the same penalties that dead weight has on performance. You should aim to have nothing on the bike that isn't needed to run it.

Carry everthing else in your pack/bumbag so that it becomes "dynamic weight". Anything that the rider carries on him/herself becomes dynamic weight.

Lighter tubes/tires/seat/bars/seatposts/pedals etc all can save you some "dead weight" on the machine with a decrease in overall weight which usually means quicker accelleration.

HTH,

R.

XC rider/racer

VT weight lowering

Quote Originally Posted by eclypse_805
    All I want is for my bike to be around 28 to 30 pounds, whats the best way to do that. I am thinking that the tools that I carry on race day like cain tool, extra tube, and pump are adding weight to the bike so I want to make the bike a little lighter.
    I got mine down to just over 29lbs by fitting-
    * Selle Italia Flite titanium seat
    * Remove seat shim and fit Thomson seatpost
    * Maxxis Flyweight inner tubes
    * Salsa Liplock seat collar
    * AI water bottle cage bolts (4) and Minoura bottle cage.
    * Shimano SPD 540 pedals

You could easily shave another pound off this weight by going for some lighter weight tyres (mine are Nokian NBX 2.1 and weigh in at 616g each). A tyre like either the Continental Explorer Pro 2.1 Supersonic (450g) , Nokian NBX Lite 2.0 (470g), Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.1 (470g) will all get the bike into the 28lb weight range when combined with the changes I`ve already done.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hi, i was wondering how much do Ti seat's usually go for? are they expensive? would i probably save a good amount of weight over a stock seat?

Thanks

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. VT
    hi, i was wondering how much do Ti seat's usually go for? are they expensive? would i probably save a good amount of weight over a stock seat?

Thanks
    Depends. Some are cheap but ususally the lighter you want the more expensive it is. You are using the stock Rocket V? Well going for the Ti version of(not sure of name) I think will save atleast 100, but it will also cost quite a bit(not sure, but I think around 80).
    BTW the seat that came with my bike was a WTB rocket V cro-mo and it weighed 319grams. About 40grams over claimed weight.

XC rider/racer

Seat weight

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. VT

Thanks
    My stock seat-- WTB Rocket V 322grams
    Selle Flite Italia Titanium-- 230g
    Price of the Selle seat is around $150 in Australia, much cheaper in the US.
    If youre after even more weight savings from a seat, the Selle SLR weighs in at around 135g.....thats nearly half a pound saving on the stock WTB seat.
    Cheers