DFMBA.org

How light can you get a Trance X 29? (pics welcome)

Before I get my tail flamed off I know it's not a weight weenie-type rig, but I'm just curious what other owners have been able to do. For what the bike is, the frame/shock is pretty reasonable, probably due to Giant's prowess with aluminum. So for those of you who've upgraded and saved a couple lbs in the process, what are we looking at?
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

IIRC, my TX29-1 is running right around 29lbs with pedals and bottle cage. Haven't tried real hard, and it could definitely be lighter if I wanted it to be. Tubeless & Thomson seatpost is about all I've done except for other upgrades that probably don't save any weight (brakes, shifters, etc).

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

I've been doing some research on the same subject. I have changed the seat and rear tyre(RR) an reckon I can save about 400grams by putting a carbon bar, post and stem. I have the 2014 x0 and am happy with full XT . I dont want to go 1x10 or 11 just yet but that would save weight. The only other realistic things for me are grips and wheels. I like the ptrx wheels and run them tubeless. I would love a set if the giant pxcr0 carbon wheels which would save about 350g but for a lot of cash.

I think losing 1kg(2.2lbs) bar,post stem, grips,wheels tyres (RR all round)would be achievable for high cost though

I'm not a weight weenie so i will probably just do the bars and post....and try and lose 5kg of weight off me!!!
    Last edited by CharlieDontSurf; 12-19-2013 at 01:10 AM.

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDontSurf View Post
    I've been doing some research on the same subject. I have changed the seat and rear tyre(RR) an reckon I can save about 400grams by putting a carbon bar, post and stem. I have the 2014 x0 and am happy with full XT . I dont want to go 1x10 or 11 just yet but that would save weight. The only other realistic things for me are grips and wheels. I like the ptrx wheels and run them tubeless. I would love a set if the giant pxcr0 carbon wheels which would save about 350g but for a lot of cash.

I think losing 1kg(2.2lbs) bar,post stem, grips,wheels tyres (RR all round)would be achievable for high cost though

I'm not a weight weenie so i will probably just do the bars and post....and try and lose 5kg of weight off me!!!
    What you stated here is kinda what I was thinking as well. If you're full XT it becomes prohibitively expensive to lose even another pound, save for the cockpit items. The P-TRX wheels are on par with Stan's Arches and also a respectable weight. I was considering getting a set of these: all mountain 29er carbon mtb wheels clincher tubeless wheel ready Light-Bicycle .Would save about 500g over the stock P-XCRs on my X-1. I think it would be a challenge to get this bike in the sub-27lb range.

Your Best Friend
    I owned a 2009 Turner Sultan. Similar bike to the Trance, maybe even a bit beefier. I had it down to a bit over 25lbs. It cost $7k to build that bike. I would assume a Trance with the same build would be over $6k. Food for thought.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

I have an al 2012 x0 xtc hardtail 29 with arch ex's as well. That's my light bike..... But the trance is way more fun and according to strava faster on the rough, twisty and downhill stuff

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Bit off topic but here's my giant family. The 29xtc feels the same weight as the 20xtc

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

RE: Trance XO Weight

my Large 2013 XO is currently 27 lb.
    Changes: Carbon bars and seat post, single Raceface WN 32 chainring setup, RARA rear tire, WTB Pure V saddle, Alligator rotors

DFMBA.org

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I owned a 2009 Turner Sultan. Similar bike to the Trance, maybe even a bit beefier. I had it down to a bit over 25lbs. It cost $7k to build that bike. I would assume a Trance with the same build would be over $6k. Food for thought.
    @Silentfoe Was it a 1X front and/or did you have carbon wheels on that build?

I guess if money was no object you could run a Sram XX gruppo (not a single chainring thinker) and carbon bars, stem, sp, and wheels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Running wild posted this in the pics thread 11.8kg or 26lbs. Good weight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Would putting a XTR cassette be worth it to shave a few grams?

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    @Silentfoe Was it a 1X front and/or did you have carbon wheels on that build?

I guess if money was no object you could run a Sram XX gruppo (not a single chainring thinker) and carbon bars, stem, sp, and wheels.
    It was actually 3x9 with Stans Arch wheels laced to King hubs. Definitely room for some modern improvement. A 1x drivetrain could have possibly dropped half a pound.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides