mtbr member

How Far will my Rainier go?

Compared to the discussions about the top-of0the-line Giant models, this question might appear a bit newbish. I recently got back into biking after a 7-year break. I bought a 2003 Giant Rainier for the great price of $400. As I put some miles on it, I find myself wanting to tweak and upgrade a few things. Am I wasting my time on upgrades to this frame or should I just save the cash to buy a better one? I've already replaced the stock Manitou Axle with a Black Super Air but not sure how much more to bother with it. Any inputs would be very appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have a 2002 Rainier that I have put thousands of miles on it. Although it is holding up pretty well, it is time for me to upgrade to a better bike. The frame is pretty heavy so I wouldn't waste any money upgrading any components. I have to admit, this bike is probably the best first mountain bike to own, but if you are looking for more of a bike, I would highly recommend to save money for a new bike.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Ye save for a new bike. But theres nothing wrong with the Rainer. It is just cheaper in the long run to Buy a new bike then slowly upgrade parts.
    With that being said you can always buy parts like pedals, wheels and even forks and just move them over to your new bike.
    Would you be keeping your Rainer if you got a new bike, or would you sell it?

mtbr member
    Not sure...thinking I would just keep it around as a spare, maybe let friends ride it if they wanted to go out. I plan to keep the bits and pieces up upgrade in case I find a good deal on a better frame down the road. That way i can put the old stuff back on the rainier.

XC rider/racer

Upgrading...

I`d be upgrading items that could be moved across to your next bike.....clipless pedals/shoes will give you excellent bang-for-buck and can be easily moved across, as can items like a lightweight seat, wheelset etc etc
    Cheers

Powered by Pulvoron
    just ride it.. i know a few people who have high end bike, including me that can not ride often. enjoy your purchase replace parts as needed as they wear. the joy of mountain biking is riding a bike and meeting new people.

enjoy

dirt diggler

bi-winning

Nah...

Quote Originally Posted by Vecsus
    Compared to the discussions about the top-of0the-line Giant models, this question might appear a bit newbish. I recently got back into biking after a 7-year break. I bought a 2003 Giant Rainier for the great price of $400. As I put some miles on it, I find myself wanting to tweak and upgrade a few things. Am I wasting my time on upgrades to this frame or should I just save the cash to buy a better one? I've already replaced the stock Manitou Axle with a Black Super Air but not sure how much more to bother with it. Any inputs would be very appreciated.
    Pesonally, when i look at the prices of new parts, i dont think that it is wort it to upgrade anything to seriously. If you are having a problem with just a few parts, by all means fix them, but in the long run, it seems to be so much cheaper to buy a new bike, especially if you are no longer awed by the bike. I don't think it is too wise to get TOO carried away with upgrading the rainier.

My 02 model is pretty close to stock, and i think it probably will stay that way for as long as possible. I'm saving my money, and hopefully i will have a nice full susp. bike in a few years as i get more serious. But for now, i absoulutely love my bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i personally think that 400 dollars for the 03 ranier is a really good price and i think the ranier frame is a great frame! nothing wrong with it, i think its pretty light and very strong, it has xtc geometry and i think that its up to the level of some of the other high end frames. In terms of durability over a long period i also think the ranier is great for that, with frames like the xtc which have the thinner tubing, their great race bikes and their strong but they get dinged up easily by rocks etc. i'd say that the best thing is for you to enjoy your ride and upgrade just a few things on the bike without going overboard, the fork upgrade is a great idea already and i think changing things like the stem, handlebar, and seatpost wouldn't be a bad idea either. get some some lighter tubes maybe and i think that your bike will be fairly light and great for trail riding and a bit of racing!