mtbr member
    Jul 2013

How can they offer this bike for such a low price?

Can anybody tell how Giant is able to offer this bike for such a low price?
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...3/14826/66149/
    What works for me may not work for you. What's best for you depends on many factors. We are different from each other.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    A lot of the parts are giant branded and made in house which allows them to offer a much better price than buying all the parts yourself.

They also buy in bulk which helps some more. I just picked up a 2013 anthem 29er x2 for less than the 2014 x3, if you wanted a better deal then that's the way to go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    One more thing to add, I've found something that's cheaper and has more options in canada! Giant bikes...$100 cheaper for the 2014 x3

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    One of my local shops had a full Anthem X 29er Advanced available for less than the MSRP of the Advanced frame by itself.

mtbr member
    When I spotted this thread I thought there was a bike priced at $10 including shipping and that is why it was so surprising. But this is a $1750 bike! There will always be ways to push down the cost in this price range. (Plus the actual cost to make many of the things we buy is so much less than the price we pay it can make you sick)

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: How can they offer this bike for such a low price?

Quote Originally Posted by subwoofer View Post
    When I spotted this thread I thought there was a bike priced at $10 including shipping and that is why it was so surprising. But this is a $1750 bike! There will always be ways to push down the cost in this price range. (Plus the actual cost to make many of the things we buy is so much less than the price we pay it can make you sick)
    The thing is, I'm used to the pricing of Specialized bikes and other brands from my LBS. A bike with similar set of components from them would cost at least $2500.
    What works for me may not work for you. What's best for you depends on many factors. We are different from each other.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_beginner View Post
    The thing is, I'm used to the pricing of Specialized bikes. A bike with similar set of components from them would cost at least $2500.
    Different production cost, different margins.

Now we have so much information available to us we can choose to buy the better value.

There is also the brand aspect. I remember two pairs of sunglasses both made by Rayban - the Rayban branded glasses were $100, the identical pair with Porsche printed on them $250
    Subwoofer - Objective and Honest reviews
    Latest Reviews
    ”The Torch Geek”

Anthem x3 29er
    2013 model is bit different..front fork cheaper? not sure but the 2013 had fox

Your Best Friend
    ^ No. All of the 2013 Anthems had RS forks except for the X1 which we are not comparing this bike to.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

Anthem x3 29er

Your Best Friend
    The OP is obviously looking at US spec'd bikes. You posted a link for a UK/European spec'd bike.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Well, the components are cheap and the wheels are pretty heavy and not very well made.
    Last edited by sandiego; 09-28-2013 at 09:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I find the buying in bulk kind of funny because Giant doesn't buy their bikes, they make them. They are a big manufacturing company first. They make a majority of the bikes in the market. There are many major bike brands that engineer their bikes and Giant makes them for them to their specs. Giant also makes their own aluminum and carbon fiber. not just the frames, but the raw material itself. I've heard it argued that they are one of the top alloy manufacturers in the world. But I have no way of actually confirming that. So they don't just brand their wheels, bar, seatposts, etc. They actually make them. So, since they are not paying to have the bikes made but actually making them themselves, they are able to sell the bikes for less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazclrint View Post
    I find the buying in bulk kind of funny because Giant doesn't buy their bikes, they make them. They are a big manufacturing company first. They make a majority of the bikes in the market. There are many major bike brands that engineer their bikes and Giant makes them for them to their specs. Giant also makes their own aluminum and carbon fiber. not just the frames, but the raw material itself. I've heard it argued that they are one of the top alloy manufacturers in the world. But I have no way of actually confirming that. So they don't just brand their wheels, bar, seatposts, etc. They actually make them. So, since they are not paying to have the bikes made but actually making them themselves, they are able to sell the bikes for less.
    I recently bought a 2013 Talon 29er 0 and when the sales guy was pulling it up on his computer I saw a field on the screen that showed the cost and it was somewhere around $650 (I can't remember the exact number but it was in the $600s, definitely less than $700, my memory wants to say around $670). And that is the cost to the bike store so Giant has to be making them for even less than this. This is a bike that sold retail for $1,124.99. I bought it on closeout for $899. So, not a lot of margin for the bikes themselves considering the overhead a bike store must carry.

Giant definitely buys a lot of parts so they would have advantages there to negotiate with Shimano, SRAM and all the other suppliers of parts, and there are a lot of them that Giant doesn't own or make like cranksets, shifters, tires, cables, tubes, valves, forks, and shocks etc.