Dudette

How aggressive are you on your Trance X 29er? Pics?

I'm just curious to hear/see how aggressive you are on your Trance X 29ers? What are the largest drops you would consider or have tackled? I realize this is considered a "trail" bike, but how far do you feel comfortable pushing it? Pictures/videos would be great - I can't seem to find much on-line that really shows off what this bike is capable of
    MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have a 2013 Trance XO and I was riding a Specialized Enduro before this. The Trance is a better climber for sure but the aggressive downhill fun is not there compared to others. IMO the suspension is not set up for real aggressive downhill as I was kind of bummed about this. The rear shock blows through everything I hit hard and the front is a chore to set up so you have some small bump compliance and yet not blowing through the stroke of the fork. Coming from a 26 the 29 is a big difference as far as quick turns and switch backs go. The 29 is way slower to negotiate turns. I will ride this bike till next year and off to something else. I have not ridden a 27.5 yet and maybe that is the answer.

mtbr platinum member
    I will agree somewhat with CMH22. Out of the box, the Trance 29 front and rear suspension (I have X1) blows through its travel easily. The stock valving on the 2013 fork and rear shock were poorly chosen tunes. I opened up the rear shock's air can and it looks like their is already a medium size Fox air volume spacer. I'm probably going to try swapping that out to the largest air volume spacer to reduce the rear shock air volume and make the rear air spring more progressive to prevent bottoming. Additionally, when I bought the bike I guess I didn't realize that the rear shock is a 7.25" x 1.25" size which is not a common aftermarket size. Upgrading to a different rear shock that is better than stock is going to be tough to find. I plan on trying to send mine to Push Industries for a revalve in the off season.

As for the fork, mine is the 2013 Fox F29 120 Evolution open cartridge. The stock valving also blows through its travel and doesn't stay up in its travel during braking or in the really choppy stuff. I opened up my fork and actually changed the travel up to 130mm by moving up the cotter pin thing to the other position on the air piston shaft. I also changed the order of the compression piston shims to try to boost the low-speed damping, and also switched to a slightly heavier weight oil. Oh, and the biggest thing that helped was adding about 10cc's of oil on top of the air piston (remove the top air cap and dump in 10cc's oil). That made the fork more progressive.

Those changes all helped, but I think I'm going to try to send my fork back to Fox in the off season and see if they will upgrade the damping to the 2014 FIT trail adjust. I've heard the upgrade is in the neighborhood of $75-$100.

Also, I'm not a fan of the Nobby Nic tires. They let go during aggressive cornering, which may be due in part from the narrow stock rims. The rims could stand to be much, much wider.

The bike is a lot of fun, but I'm going to work on some of these things in the off season to get it ready for some enduro races next year.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member
    I agree with everything said here. The bike is more oriented toward the XC side of all mountain than the DH side of all mountain. In really steep, rough, technical terrain, it starts to "get in over it's head" a bit. I've ridden two places that I've felt like I needed more bike; Pisgah, NC and Killington, VT. In both places, I had friends on EVO Stumpjumper 29er and Cannondale Trigger 29er that just walked away from me (and we're all pretty even on comparable bikes).

I'll definitely have to try bikerx40's fork setup tips. Adding an extra 10mm of travel should help get the rider's weight back on the bike a bit.

If I had it all to do over again, I would've probably waited on the Trance SX 27.5. I feel like that bike would fit my needs best since I already have an Anthem 29er to tackle the XC stuff that I ride.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Bikensand....That is my exact opinion and I wish I would have read that comment before July when I bought my 29x0

mtbr member

Re: How aggressive are you on your Trance X 29er? Pics?

Quote Originally Posted by bikerx40 View Post
    I will agree somewhat with CMH22. Out of the box, the Trance 29 front and rear suspension (I have X1) blows through its travel easily. The stock valving on the 2013 fork and rear shock were poorly chosen tunes. I opened up the rear shock's air can and it looks like their is already a medium size Fox air volume spacer. I'm probably going to try swapping that out to the largest air volume spacer to reduce the rear shock air volume and make the rear air spring more progressive to prevent bottoming. Additionally, when I bought the bike I guess I didn't realize that the rear shock is a 7.25" x 1.25" size which is not a common aftermarket size. Upgrading to a different rear shock that is better than stock is going to be tough to find. I plan on trying to send mine to Push Industries for a revalve in the off season.

As for the fork, mine is the 2013 Fox F29 120 Evolution open cartridge. The stock valving also blows through its travel and doesn't stay up in its travel during braking or in the really choppy stuff. I opened up my fork and actually changed the travel up to 130mm by moving up the cotter pin thing to the other position on the air piston shaft. I also changed the order of the compression piston shims to try to boost the low-speed damping, and also switched to a slightly heavier weight oil. Oh, and the biggest thing that helped was adding about 10cc's of oil on top of the air piston (remove the top air cap and dump in 10cc's oil). That made the fork more progressive.

Those changes all helped, but I think I'm going to try to send my fork back to Fox in the off season and see if they will upgrade the damping to the 2014 FIT trail adjust. I've heard the upgrade is in the neighborhood of $75-$100.

Also, I'm not a fan of the Nobby Nic tires. They let go during aggressive cornering, which may be due in part from the narrow stock rims. The rims could stand to be much, much wider.

The bike is a lot of fun, but I'm going to work on some of these things in the off season to get it ready for some enduro races next year.
    Wow, someone finally articulated a bunch of stuff I've been thinking about my X1. Changing the internals is 'Chinese' to me but I might try the oil thing. Fwiw, I currently running a 2.25 Psycho Genius up front and its definitely better than the NN.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bikerx40 View Post

My open bath damper on the same fork died not long after I got my trance and Fox warranty replaced it with the fit cartridge. I didn't notice a massive difference straight away but I will say I don't feel like I blow through the travel easily on trails, only on big flat drops, 4ft+.
    One suggestion would be to set the bike up with 30% sag and then ride your descents in the trail mode rather than the descend mode. This increases the compression damping and you will find that the fork (and shock for that matter) will sit higher in the travel and have a bottomless feel on all but the biggest drops. This may have a slight impact on small bump compliance but if your sag is set to no less than 30% you should be golden.

As to your second point, totally agree, 19mm internal rims are not up to the job at all. Get something wider.

mtbr platinum member
    I only use the trail mode anyway front and rear. Still bottoms and blows through the travel. I am only 165 lbs but i would say i ride pretty aggressively. I have sag set to 20% right now to prevent bottoming.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Yeah ok, sounds like you need some professional help! I would be really interested to hear what difference a PUSH service makes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Is the fork eligible for the Fox 2013 CTD recall?

mtbr platinum member
    Mine was not, but I would certainly check your fork code on the Fox site to be sure.