mtbr member
    Jun 2004

high rate of frame wear??

I have noticed this pretty drastically on my VT. It is only 1.5mos old, maybe 10rides on it and I am seeing a extreme amount of frame wear at locations that the cable housings rub. Do you folks see this?? I know it happens but this wear is pretty severe and it if keeps up I would think I will be to bare metal in a few months of riding once a week!! My 10yr old hardtail makes my nice new VT looks like a 3 year old worn out race bike!!

I know there used to be a company that made thin clear prtoectors, even a thin clear chanstay protector would be great, are thos still available??
    '93 DB Ascent HT, Manitou front shock, XT Der's, SRT500's, SS7 with 987's
    '04 Giant VT3, bone stock

Reviewer/Tester
    One of the first things any VT owner should do is to stick some protective tape under those cables to protect the thin paint on the frame.

I use clear heavy duty packaging tape, and there is also the old reliable electricians tape which comes in a variety of colours.

After using the clear tape on my chainstay to prevent chain-slap I finally gave in and purchased a lizardskin protector because I couldn't stand the noise from the chain bashing the stay when landing jumps.

R.

I just let one RIP

the thin clear protectors are still made

Unfortunately, I don't remember the company. But I picked up a package at my lbs several months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by lamrith
    I have noticed this pretty drastically on my VT. It is only 1.5mos old, maybe 10rides on it and I am seeing a extreme amount of frame wear at locations that the cable housings rub. Do you folks see this?? I know it happens but this wear is pretty severe and it if keeps up I would think I will be to bare metal in a few months of riding once a week!! My 10yr old hardtail makes my nice new VT looks like a 3 year old worn out race bike!!

I know there used to be a company that made thin clear prtoectors, even a thin clear chanstay protector would be great, are thos still available??

NRS
    The perfect clear protector is made by Park Tool co. They make a clear tire patch that can be cut to size and is VERY durable. It is a great solution. I havent tried to take any of it off yet though so it might be hard to remove. But its gonna be there for a long time so I dont care right now.

http://www.parktool.com/tools/TB_1.shtml

checkit.
    g
    "Drinking and driving is wrong, but hey, the kids gotta get to school right?"
    -Dave Attell

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    What Size Lizard skin did you end up with? The shop was nto sure what size would fit best on that fat chainstay
    '93 DB Ascent HT, Manitou front shock, XT Der's, SRT500's, SS7 with 987's
    '04 Giant VT3, bone stock

bi-winning

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by lamrith

Somebody on the Trek forum was just complaining about that on their Cake. I guess it's more of a problem on a 5" fs rig in comparison to a hardtail. I like the idea of the Park tire patches.