Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Help w/my Trance X1

Got this bike in November and love it, 09 Trance X1, however I noticed a creaking sound a few months ago and took it to the LBS, they said it's just part of owning a FS bike. Kinda bummed but it's ok, I can live with it. So last ride or so it started again and was not going away, creaking away, especially when just riding along not even on serious technical sections. I though maybe it was the seat, no lifted butt off the seat and still creaking, maybe the pedals, no they are nice XTR and very solid. What should I do, could I have a very dry pivot/bearing somewhere already? I ride hard, I have put over 1000 miles on the bike but would not expect this to happen this soon. I really don't want to pay for a complete overhaul because I'm fairly broke after buying this bike. Love the bike and all the componets but I'm frustrated with the creaking noise

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've got an '08 X1 and after a weekend of riding in sandy conditions I noticed an annoying creak coming from the cranks/BB/lower-pivot area. After tightening the crank bolts, the creaking persisted so the next thing I did was remove the cranks and BB, cleaned the BB thoroughly and regreased it before putting it back on the bike. Creaking went away

Certainly worth a shot...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have an 08 X0 and it creaks from the plastic cable ends where the front mech cable sits in the frame. Use a rubber one.........creak over!

mtbr member
    The response from your LBS was weak. It seems like they just blew you of, rather than try and provide real customer service.

The creak (which likely is not specific to the Trance X) can be coming from many places - pivots, cleats, bottom bracket, headset, pedals (even expensive pedals creak), cables rubbing on the frame, jockey wheels, hubs, etc., etc. You're going to have to try and find the source. Doing so can be a pain, which may be why your LBS didn't bother.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yeah, that's a crap answer from your LBS. I was a bike mechanic and shop manager for years and any creaking is not normal. It can always be found and eliminated. It may take a little time that's all.

mtbr member
    After about a month I had a creaking sound on my new Trance X2.
    It seems that my bottom bracket was turning into shrapnel.
    Luckily it was under warranty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yeah I'm super bummed, I rode it yesterday evening and was climbing away and creaking away like an old bed, I caught up with a guy on an Ibis, we were climbing thru a technical section, his bike was dead quite, I was behind him just creaking away, kind of embarssing really! We both cleared the climb, I said good job to him and he kind of looked at me and my bike like I was a lower class citizen. I really gave the bike a look over and it sounds like it's coming from one of the pivots, I changed pedals to the original Candys so eliminated that factor, only creaks on small bumps, but also creaks riding down the road, especialy if I lock out the rear shock. So I guess I'm going to ride tomorrow with my friends and totaly anoy them unless I can find the creak this evening. My mission is to find this awful sound coming from my most prized posession.

mtbr member
    Take out the seatpost, clean it, and put great inside the seat tube and on the seatpost. Put it back in the bike and clean off excess grease around the seat post clamp. There's a good chance this will solve the problem. I have to do this with my 09 Anthem X every 4-5 rides. If I don't, it creaks like mad. But after I grease the post, it's dead quiet for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokeman
    Yeah I'm super bummed, I rode it yesterday evening and was climbing away and creaking away like an old bed, I caught up with a guy on an Ibis, we were climbing thru a technical section, his bike was dead quite, I was behind him just creaking away, kind of embarssing really! We both cleared the climb, I said good job to him and he kind of looked at me and my bike like I was a lower class citizen. I really gave the bike a look over and it sounds like it's coming from one of the pivots, I changed pedals to the original Candys so eliminated that factor, only creaks on small bumps, but also creaks riding down the road, especialy if I lock out the rear shock. So I guess I'm going to ride tomorrow with my friends and totaly anoy them unless I can find the creak this evening. My mission is to find this awful sound coming from my most prized posession.

Giddy Up!
    Spokeman.. Check your Spokes, man!

The wrong amount of tension can cause creaking. A tiny bit of lube or teflon spray at the spoke crossing point might help.. But only do one wheel at a time.. Check lube ride.. then repeat if required

Also make sure your drop outs front and rear are clean so that you are getting a nice even tension with your QR.

CAAK
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yup, grease your seat post and seat post clamp. Im a machanic at a shop that sells only Giant bikes. Its a very common problem I come across daily.

mtbr member
    I have the same problem. My trance x2 creaks like its the main job of the rear end. It sounds and feels like the BB is grinding away. Especially since it pretty much stops when I stop pedaling. Gonna rip it apart and figure it out.

Any advice for a howling front Hayes brakes? now that's annoying

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thought my pivots were creaking and it turned out to be the seatpost. Quick way to tell is get your ass off the saddle and run over something to compress the suspension. If it doesn't creak---clean and grease the seatpost.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Bone
    I have the same problem. My trance x2 creaks like its the main job of the rear end. It sounds and feels like the BB is grinding away. Especially since it pretty much stops when I stop pedaling. Gonna rip it apart and figure it out.

Any advice for a howling front Hayes brakes? now that's annoying
    Make sure you grease the seat post before you rip anything apart. My bet is that will solve the problem. When you're not pedaling you're not bouncing on the post. I go through the exact same thing with my Anthem.

Not sure about the frond brakes, but don't grease that rotor

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have the same problem on my 08 Reign. I have done the regular bits, like the seatpost, took the cranks off along with the BB, cleaned regreased, shock bolts and suspension pivot bolts tensioned.

Then I found that the derailleur hanger was a little loose, tightened it up and the creaking went away, for a while, but now it's back.

I have have two sets of wheels I run, the bike creaks with both sets. I also have two seatposts, no change, I even put my old cranks back on, still no change. It creaks whether I am seated or standing, but does seem to be more pronounced with harder pedelling. I don't hear anything when coasting and moving the suspensions via weighting and unweighting the bike.

I think the only thing left is cable housings and pivots. I can't believe its the pivots as the bike hasn't had enough riding on it to be a problem. My old Trance went for a couple of years and never made a whimper. I haven't had the pivots apart but with the shock off the bike and slowly cycling the suspension it feels smooth.

I now ride with music, it helps some, perhaps if I play my music loud enough and lose my hearing, my bike won't creak anymore.
    Last edited by rideitall; 05-20-2009 at 08:12 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I had this same problem on my Trance. I tried cleaning and greasing EVERYTHING: cranks, BB, seatpost, saddle, pivots/pivot shafts, etc.

It turned out to be the derailleur hanger. A liberal coating of thick grease between it and the frame shut it up. Go ahead and Locktite the mounting bolt while you have it apart.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Creak-Free at last.

Quote Originally Posted by ZipZip
    I had this same problem on my Trance. I tried cleaning and greasing EVERYTHING: cranks, BB, seatpost, saddle, pivots/pivot shafts, etc.

It turned out to be the derailleur hanger. A liberal coating of thick grease between it and the frame shut it up. Go ahead and Locktite the mounting bolt while you have it apart.
    Well, happily I can say that the creak is gone, for now at least. After reading through the posts in this thread, I resolved to try again, the only problem is that I did two things before testing so, not 100% certain which one actually fixed the creak.

I removed the seatpost again, it was clean, with no dirt, but wiped it down and swabbed the inside of the seatpost with a rag. I also took off the seatpost coller, it also looked pretty clean, applied some grease and put it and the seatpost back in place, tighten as usually.

Removed rear wheel, then the rear derailleur hanger, cleaned the hanger and the insert area as there was some fine dust and grime in there. Applied new grease between the hanger and the frame insert area and put back together. I didn't bother to loctite this time, but will do that in a couple of days if everything stays creak-free. (my fingers are crossed that this does it for good).

It is hard to imagine that such a small bit of dirt/grime, can cause such frustration.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm hoping this will fix the creak, I cleaned and re-greased the seat post, the clamp, and the seat rails. Took it all a part and cleaned and greased everything I could think of. derailleur hanger, thats intersting, now i'm going to look at this when I get home, going on a ride this afternoon so I will report back if I have creaking or not. Thanks all for the reply's!

E !

Just got rid of my creak

I knew it was in the seatpost/saddle area because it only did it while seated. It ended up being the seatpost clamp on the race face post. The pivot point where you can adjsut the tilt sepeartly of the fore/aft. That creak was really getting to me. All good now.
    P.S.- I also had the front derailleur housing squeeke at the first stop on the frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Well, I rode yesterday after cleaning and re-greasing all seat post and seat rails and all, I still have a CREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not sure what to do now, I guess i'll just ride it, so annoying, I want a bike that does not creak!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokeman
    Well, I rode yesterday after cleaning and re-greasing all seat post and seat rails and all, I still have a CREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not sure what to do now, I guess i'll just ride it, so annoying, I want a bike that does not creak!!!!!!!
    Could it be the Fox shock itself? I recall someone once mentioning the actual shock as a creaking source...Does it creak differently when the propedal is on vs. off, have you played with air pressure settings?

I feel your pain, few things in life are more annoying than a creaking bike...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yeah, I don't know it could be the RP 23, however when I'm not on the bike and I push down on the bike no creaking, rear shock seems smooth, quite, pivots smooth, no noise. I just don't know what else it could be. It sure sounds like it's coming from that part of the bike, seat, seat post, pivots, rp 23, front derailler? LBS seems like they don't want to help, just kinda pisses me off, spending $3000 on a 2009 bike and it creaks!!!!! Maybe I should have bought a Santa Cruz or an Ibis???? Anyone want to buy an 09 Trance that creaks?

mtbr member
    Both my Trance and Trance X creaked a lot when I got them. On the Trance X it was the Race Face seatpost and easily fixed by tightening the seat clamp more. It’s probably the seatpost on the Trance too but it had a thrashing over the winter so everything creeks…could be the headset, fork, one of the seized pivots or one of the many other components that need reviving.

I'll take the whole bike apart soon and grease everything back to life!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Not a Giant but....

I don't have a giant, but my turner will creak if the rear wheel QR is not really tight. If the rear QR isn't tight enough the rear end will flex and that increases the likliehood for creaking. It's worth a shot especially since it sounds like you fixed the problem, for a while anyway, when you messed with the der. hanger (removed rear wheel).

Next move would be to check the bearings. I imagine the lower bearings would be the most likely culprit.

SS93

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Can't remember for sure, but your BB is Race Face right? If you have 1000 miles on the bike already, the bearings could be shot. If there's any play down there, a creak could develop. Also check all your chainring bolts...

I'm thinking of getting this model. I haven't seen one in person, but it has a good spec. Hope you iron out the problem!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Silly question...where do you think the creaking sound is coming from?
    There is a big difference between seat post and BB.
    Again, my BB creaked after a month...had to be replaced.
    From what I've been told RaceFace BBs are chit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast