• 05-01-2013
    Grovsie
    Help upgrading giant trance x4
    Hi guys, I need some help with upgrading my 2011 Trance X4. Ive Decided on a new fork, rear shock, and new rims/tyres as upgrades. Should shave some weight off as well. My first problem seems to be this forum as I can't press enter to use paragraphs lol. First question is about the rear shock. Im looking at either a Rockshock Monarch RT3, or Fox CTD as there the only 2 I can find in the correct size, the RS is a lot cheaper. What else is needed when changing the shock? or is it just a straight swap? do I need any extra bolts/bushes, etc? Second im pretty much set on some Mavic XM719 rims, still looking at tyres. My main gripe is what options do I need with it, I assume the first option is for the front wheel, so depends what size fork it is? unsure on 2nd QR adapter? the site ill be buying wheels from is here Superstar Components - High Spec Parts For Peanuts . Iam also looking at getting a rockshox pike 454 air u turn front fork as I want something strong and reliable and not to expensive, and 140mm ive read is the max u wanna go on a Trance.
  • 05-01-2013
    Grovsie
    Sorry I have no idea why I cannot use enter, it just does not move the curser, so I can't use paragraphs. Never seen this before.........
  • 05-01-2013
    Jawja7
    I switched to Mavic ST's on my old 2011 Trance x4 and it made a WORLD of difference. Night and Day instantly different. The bike rolled faster, was easier to pedal on climbs, and the hubs just engaged quicker than the stock wheels. As far as the rear shock goes I would look to the RS just because I've had several and never experienced any problems with them. I actually think the RS may work better with Giant's FS system. If you decide to build your own wheels I recommend Hope Pro Evo 2 hubs laced with whatever rims you want and DT spokes. The only other upgrades I wanted on my x4 was full xt components and a Reba fork but I would wait until the current set up is completely worn out to spend that kind of change. JMO.
  • 05-04-2013
    Grovsie
    Another problem is the forks I was going to get were non tapered and my bike has a Tapered Steerer.......................
  • 05-15-2013
    gribble
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Grovsie View Post
    Another problem is the forks I was going to get were non tapered and my bike has a Tapered Steerer.......................

Hi, I built up a 2011 frame, with budget parts. I have fitted a RS Sektor fork. It is 150mm, but compresses for climbing to 120mm. Although a bit high at the front, it is great for downhill and I have heard a lot if folk putting 150mm forks on a Trance X. My fork is the basic coil. Mine is only the QR mount for, without taper. I couldn't afford a better fork and a friend who has ridden in the Alps a lot said not to get too hung up on whether it had a proper bolt through axle or not. In tens if the tapered steerer tube, again it was a simple budget requirement. Adapters are sold to make a 1.5 fit a 1 1/8 tube, I think I got mine from Jenson USA. I can send you a link if needed.

In terms of wheels, I took some QR Mavic Cross Ride wheels from my hardtail, they seem fine accepting tyres up to 2.4. I hear Hope hubs on almost any half decent runs are a god way to go, easy to service and parts should be available.

My frame came with a shock, so I have left it on (Fox). I would be happy with a RS model if needed.

Ultimately if you are unhappy with some stock parts, shop around and see what deals are available on long travel forks and shocks, you might be a me to find some deals in eBay etc.

A pic of my bike and plenty neater models is on the trance x pics thread.
  • 05-16-2013
    Grovsie
    Hi Gribble, im currently fitting the upgrades now, I went with a Rockshox Pike 454 Dual Air U-Turn fork, fits nicely with a reducer for the steerer, Mavic XM719 rims on superstar evo hubs, just waiting on my Monarch RT3, and some headset spacers, and bracket for the front brake as current one doesn't fit older fork as it's 51mm not 74mm. Ill post some pics up when its all done in the Trance thread.

Cheers.