mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Help with Trance X0 crank

Hi,
    I have a Trance X0 and want to replace my fragile Deus XC crank. Is the new XT a good choice?
    I´m still thinking about XTR and Noir (my previous Truvativ´s cranks last long) but i´m not sure if the overprice justify what you get over XT.

Thanks

mtbr member

Shimano!

Shimano is the only way to go IMHO. You cannot beat the performance and quality (not to mention value) of XT. Actually, a few years ago I would have said that XT cranks were superior to XTR but I will say that the latest rendition of XTR with the carbon middle ring is tough to beat. It's amazing how smooth and quiet it is. If you've got the extra scratch go with XTR but you absolutely cannot go wrong with XT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Fly
    I will say that the latest rendition of XTR with the carbon middle ring is tough to beat.
    [SIZE=2]Did you mean XT because it also has a carbon with inlaid steel middle ring to improve the lifespan over previous models.

I would also say go with XT too but what on earth have you done to say something like “fragile Deus XC crank”? The cranks themselves are some of the toughest and stiffest out there for XC. The BB may be rubbish but it’s very hard to beat Deus cranks.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member

Really?

I didn't realize the latest XT also has the carbon middle ring, that is sweet!

That's the problem with the Deus XC - nice crank arms, lousy BB and sus-pect chain rings. Shimano had some issues with bearings a few years ago but from what I understand, that's all been cleared up. You just can't beat Shimano when it comes to crank sets.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My problem with the Deus XC was with the chain rings.

mtbr member

cranks are no good without decent rings...

And nice crank arms don't mean much with suspect chain rings. I've run Deus cranks before and they just don't stand up to Shimano.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]My dad has the full crankset on his Trance X and I’ve got the RF Evolve cranks with XT BB on my Trance and they’re both super smooth. The middle ring is very nice although I’m one of the rare people who uses the granny or outer ring most.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/cranksets/product/deore-xt-hollowtech-2-fc-m770-17335

You can just about see the middle ring there.

[SIZE=2]MiddleBurn makes some very long lasting chain rings.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Fly
    And nice crank arms don't mean much with suspect chain rings. I've run Deus cranks before and they just don't stand up to Shimano.
    The RF rings on my last 2 bikes have far outlasted any of my previous XT rings on 2 prior bikes.

No problems either with the RF Deus or Evolve X-Type BB's, and I weigh about 210.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MS MSP
    The RF rings on my last 2 bikes have far outlasted any of my previous XT rings on 2 prior bikes.

No problems either with the RF Deus or Evolve X-Type BB's, and I weigh about 210.
    [SIZE=2]Your weight has nothing to do with how long the BB lasts, it’s more to do with them being very poorly sealed and Shimano XT rings are known to be rubbish, that’s why they’ve gone to so much trouble for the 08 stuff.
    [/SIZE]