mtbr member
    Nov 2014

help: trance advanced headset change

Hi all, wonder if someone can help me out. I'm trying to change the headset on my 2014 trance advanced 1 for a CC40 and it seems like the headset cups are glued into the frame.

Has anyone removed them on their bike and if so how? I'm worried about damaging the frame.

Thanks forum!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    why do you want to change the cups in the first place anyway? Just leave them where they are if they're not damaged (on a 1 year old bike?)

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    why do you want to change the cups in the first place anyway? Just leave them where they are if they're not damaged (on a 1 year old bike?)
    I bought some pikes so I had to change the top of the headset back to 1 1/8, decided to upgrade the rest of the headset while I was there. The CC bearings don't fit the FSA cups so the cups had to come out. Turns out they just fit tight, couple taps with a hammer and job done.

I'm hugely impressed with the CC40, my bike has always had annoying creaks from the stock headset but that was gone as soon as I changed the bottom bearing/cup.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The FSA headsets which come in most Giant bikes and many other brands will outlast any bike life under normal circumstances, especially since industry switched to tapered with 1,5" lower bearings where most of the stress actually happens.

The headset on my Trance SX came with nearly no grease preassembled and that's where your creaking noise probably came from (creaking noise = metal on metal with nothing in between). I hope you made it better than Giant and assembled your new headset with lots of grease, otherwise creaking noises and/or rust will soon occur as there is nothing blocking water from coming in.

I recommend all new owners to take their headset apart and reassemble it with lots of grease because Giant obviously won't do that for you. It just takes 5-10 minutes and ensure a long lifespan.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I didn't think the cc40 headset required any grease. The whole upper headset other than the bearing is made up of an enclosed unit. Are you suggesting greasing up the external side of the bearing between it and the cup?

OP did you just hammer out the old cups and find a ghetto way to press in the new ones? That's what it sounds like, and they make special tools for doing both of those jobs. Damaging a 2500 dollar frame is not worth the 40 bucks your lbs would charge to do the job

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    ok Cane Creeks "superior headsets" obviously don't require any grease then. Water will stay out of respect for the brand. Please, install them completely dry.

Normally before putting in the new cups you precision-measure the outer diameter of both old and new cup with a vernier caliper to determine their difference in terms of production tolerance (they are never exactly the same!)

Swapping the inferior upper FSA bearing for an equally inferiour but 1 1/8" shaped would have been a 10$ / 5 min job to do. If you screw anything up by changing the cups you gonna have an annoying creak that's not gonna be easy to solve by just a little grease. No doubt Cane Creeks makes good headsets, it's just not worth the hassle if it can be done the easy way IMO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My new headset was installed dry by lbs. I wouldn't have thought to pack the whole thing with grease for water. Mechanically I'd doesn't need to be greased.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    then your LBS is doing it wrong. There are always coming small amounts of water in there so either you put in grease to fill the space or let the water come in which then got all the time in the world to slowly work itself inside the bearings and cause corrosion

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFoe View Post
    I didn't think the cc40 headset required any grease. The whole upper headset other than the bearing is made up of an enclosed unit. Are you suggesting greasing up the external side of the bearing between it and the cup?

OP did you just hammer out the old cups and find a ghetto way to press in the new ones? That's what it sounds like, and they make special tools for doing both of those jobs. Damaging a 2500 dollar frame is not worth the 40 bucks your lbs would charge to do the job
    I only did the bottom one but yes pretty much. Thanks for the tips, I'll pick up some of the proper tools before doing the top

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I do 90% of my own work and pressing the new cups in....for the amount of times i'll end up doing that, between the special punch and press tool, the tools aren't worth what it costs me to support my LBS. Might be easier to just let a good shop do it. Just my opinion. When you see what the right tools look like you might think twice about making up tools to do it yourself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Probably I know someone with the tools, otherwise yes LBS. Can't see myself doing this again any time soon!