mtbr member
    Nov 2005

HELP !! TRANCE 18" or 20"

Hi all need your help.
    Theres a trance 4 size 18" that fits good about 2 " clearence, for 750.00 and a trance 3 with 1" clearance, for 999.00 both plus tax, wich one do you recomend me, I'm new to mountain biking.

Thanks

pedro

MTB B'dos
    First up welcome to MTBR and the excellent sport of mountain biking. Now if we r to help u we will need some measurements for you - inseam, height - and then we will be able to give you a better idea of which one to go for.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    First up welcome to MTBR and the excellent sport of mountain biking. Now if we r to help u we will need some measurements for you - inseam, height - and then we will be able to give you a better idea of which one to go for.
    Thanks for your reception.
    I used to do motocross, and mountain biking is a good healt sport away from smog.
    My measurements inseam (" The measurement of the inside of the leg from crotch to the ankle") is 26" and from the crotch to the base of my tennis shoes is 31" and my height is 5'-8.5"
    I appreciate your time.
    Pedro

Motion activated
    at 5'8" I'd say a 20" would be too big. By that I mean too long in the top tube (which is how you should fit a bike).
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by pedrokim
    Thanks for your reception.
    I used to do motocross, and mountain biking is a good healt sport away from smog.
    My measurements inseam (" The measurement of the inside of the leg from crotch to the ankle") is 26" and from the crotch to the base of my tennis shoes is 31" and my height is 5'-8.5"
    I appreciate your time.
    Pedro
    OK, now we have more info we can help. I'd definitely say go for the 18", I am 6'2.25" w/ a 35" inseam and I ride a 22"/XL Trance. I assume that the 2" clearance you're talking about is w/ ur butt right against the sadle tip - I get about 1.5-2" on mine. If you can get a test ride of both then that should be able to help you cement your decission on which feels better. Remember the frames are the same (just diff colours) throughout the entire Trance lineup, so no matter which one u get they're very worth while upgrading as stuff wears out/breaks.

Check out the Trance Official thread for more info on Trance related stuff.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    at 5'8" I'd say a 20" would be too big. By that I mean too long in the top tube (which is how you should fit a bike).
    I think that the first time I hit my crocht I will remember why I did not buy the 18" trance hehe , in this case is the little difference in money from the 3 and 4 trance and the better components can get, I love very much the bike, the rear suspension, well I think I have to stick with the trance 4 and keep upgrading.
    I will be checking replys

Thanks Steve

Pedro

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi all need your help.
    Theres a trance 4 size 18" that fits good about 2 " clearence, for 750.00 and a trance 3 with 1" clearance, for 999.00 both plus tax, wich one do you recomend me, I'm new to mountain biking.

Thanks

pedro

Get the 18" size. I am 5'11" and bought 20".

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks guys helping me in this decision.
    To keep the trance 3, I was thinking on take it to a tig welder so he can lower the top bar, but I think is not a good idea it can break, so I will go with the trance 4 and when the parts broke get better components, meanwhile I am going to do some savings for an adjustable front fork and maybe some disc brakes.
    See you soon.
    Pedro

Motion activated
    Thanks guys helping me in this decision.
    To keep the trance 3, I was thinking on take it to a tig welder so he can lower the top bar, but I think is not a good idea it can break, so I will go with the trance 4 and when the parts broke get better components, meanwhile I am going to do some savings for an adjustable front fork and maybe some disc brakes.
    See you soon.
    Pedro
    Even if you lower the 'top bar', the frame/wheelbase would still be too long. Your doing the right thing going with the trance 4.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Ridin' in XTC!
    Absolutely no the 20"!!! I am 6' and debated the 18" because of my short torso. If you ride the 18" and it is comfortable, fine. Couldn't hurt to ride a 16".