mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. HELP!!! Race in 2 weeks and 2004 NRS 1 Clunk

I just purchased an '04 NRS 1, its beautiful! Rides like a cloud and has better a "effort to go" ratio than my tricked out hardtail. Its still a little to muddy to go bangin through the woods up here in Southern Ontario, but as soon as it dries up a smidge I'll be out there putting it through its paces.

My question is this:
    There seems to be a clunk coming from the rear suspension/triangle only when I unweight the front end quickly after having not activated the rear suspension in around 15 to 30 seconds.

Scenario:
    Riding along on smooth road at a medium pace for one minute and decide to do a wheelie.

It seems that this scenario causes a clunk noise from the area described above. Others have posted similar concerns, but not for the '04, nor has there been any real solution that I can find here on MTBR.com.

The frame is a 20.5 and i weigh 185 lbs. I've checked that all the bushings are set to correct torque. The rear shock is set to rider weight plus 10 lbs and i have rebound set to 4 clicks from fast. Could the fork make this kind of sound? It really does seem to come from under the seat.

Thanks in advance!
    Jeff
    Last edited by NRS1; 03-24-2004 at 08:09 AM. Reason: urgent title added

XC rider/racer
    Quote Originally Posted by NRS1

My question is this:
    There seems to be a clunk coming from the rear suspension/triangle only when I unweight the front end quickly after having not activated the rear suspension in around 15 to 30 seconds.

The frame is a 20.5 and i weigh 185 lbs. I've checked that all the bushings are set to correct torque. The rear shock is set to rider weight plus 10 lbs and i have rebound set to 4 clicks from fast. Could the fork make this kind of sound? It really does seem to come from under the seat.

Have you checked the seatpost?.....I get weird noises on my VT from time to time and tracked them down to the seatpost...the shim inside the frame tends to accentuate this.
    I wouldve bet all the tea in China when i first got this noise that it was coming from around my rear linkages and/or shock, but it seems the noise from the seatpost must carry through the frame.
    Try removing the seatpost and shim and reseat them....at least ruling these out as the culprits is fairly simple.
    Cheers Andy

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Have you checked the seatpost?.....I get weird noises on my VT from time to time and tracked them down to the seatpost...the shim inside the frame tends to accentuate this.
    I wouldve bet all the tea in China when i first got this noise that it was coming from around my rear linkages and/or shock, but it seems the noise from the seatpost must carry through the frame.
    Try removing the seatpost and shim and reseat them....at least ruling these out as the culprits is fairly simple.
    Cheers Andy
    Don't forget the grease!!
    Also, it could be your shock people had problems with what your describing, BUT that was with the old rock shox sid rear shox, and you are running a fox(no?), so I doubt that is it. Maybe it is something to do with the SPV fork?!
    Best bet would be to go into your LBS and let them ride the bike to see what it is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... Thanks !!!!!

I will try the seatpost thing.
    Come to think of it, it was creaking a bunch when I first got it. I cranked it down pretty hard.

Its going in to my LBS this saturday so I will get them to do that stuff you guys mentioned!

Thanks agian. I'll let everyone know if this works.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tried the seatpost fix

No luck...
    Mucked around with the fork and rear shock set up and changing the rebound rate seems to lessen the clunk.
    Ill taker in to the shop and see what they say.

Heres a pic!!
    Attached Images Attached Images