Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: delnorte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,220

    Help me decide on this Trance

    Thinking of picking this Trance up for my girlfriend who wants to upgrade from hardtail to FS.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3AIT&viewitem=
    What do you guys/gals think? Good price? Do you like your Trance bikes that much? I'd love to hear any feedback.
    Also, if you decide to beat me to it, please go for it. It will save me lots of $$$

  2. #2
    Doesnt ride Banshees
    Reputation: Banshee Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,402
    Damn, too bad she wasn't big enough for a medium, I'm trying to unload my 09 TX frame for cheap.

    I think given the retail value of the X2, and the condition of the bike in the pictures, thats a pretty fair price. However, you should consider that XS is a pretty rare size. You might luck out if you call around, because a dealer may have that (odd) size leftover with a heavily discounted pricetag.

  3. #3
    wheelie king
    Reputation: 661lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    386
    What TX do you have for sale? What is cheap?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,062
    I almost bought a Trance. The steep-ish head angle turned me away. Nothing wrong with that, though; I just wanted to try something different.

    But it's an odd-looking bike. The arched back and sagging belly makes it look pregnant. Maybe if your girlfriend is pregnant it would suit her well.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    287
    Had a Trance X0 for several months now and love it. The Giant site says about $1900 retail for an X2. I like the looks, and a 69.5 HA is not steep, especially compared to an XC bike, which is what most people buying a Trance were probably on before. But the looks question should be answered by your GF.

    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...in/1288/29375/

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,062
    I stand corrected. I got my bikes confused. It was the Anthem I passed up due to the steeper head tube. I was considering the Trance, but didn't like the low-hanging belly. Looked like it was just begging for rock strikes. I saw a guy with one on the trail and asked him about it. He quickly flipped the bike over and showed me all the dents. I guess it would be fine, depending where and how it's ridden.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: antonio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,919
    Quote Originally Posted by tduro
    I stand corrected. I got my bikes confused. It was the Anthem I passed up due to the steeper head tube. I was considering the Trance, but didn't like the low-hanging belly. Looked like it was just begging for rock strikes.
    Hmm, I just checked my frame and no more marks on the down tube than on my other bikes, and I ride some rocky trails.

    Did you bother test riding the Trance X?

    To the OP, I think the price is fair, but not great. I did have one less than stellar ransaction with that seller, tho. I complained that they misrepresented an item, and their response was to resort to name calling. They seem to have lots of happy customers, however.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg tx.JPG (480.3 KB, 335 views)

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: delnorte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,220
    Quote Originally Posted by tduro
    I almost bought a Trance. The steep-ish head angle turned me away. Nothing wrong with that, though; I just wanted to try something different.

    But it's an odd-looking bike. The arched back and sagging belly makes it look pregnant. Maybe if your girlfriend is pregnant it would suit her well.
    No more pregnant remarks, I don't need those forces out there at this point in my life!

    Did you ever get that new fanny pack? Those make people look pregnant too.

    By the way, anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of reading through Tduro's posts, should definitely browse them. It's like a "best of" for MTBR. Some of the funniest, most off the wall stuff I've ever read.
    And sorry Tduro, you just don't know enough about bikes or riding to make credible comments at this time. Sure, you really love the MTB lifestyle, but you're enthusiasm surpasses your credibility at this point. Maybe in about 2 more years or something. We know you like to put your 2 cents in all the time, but it's 2 cents of inexperience and foolery. But keep posting, because you post some funny $h!t. Rock on brother!
    Last edited by delnorte; 03-24-2009 at 10:00 AM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: delnorte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,220
    Quote Originally Posted by OldDogDan
    Had a Trance X0 for several months now and love it. The Giant site says about $1900 retail for an X2. I like the looks, and a 69.5 HA is not steep, especially compared to an XC bike, which is what most people buying a Trance were probably on before. But the looks question should be answered by your GF.

    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...in/1288/29375/
    You're right, ODD, a 69.5 HA is not that steep.
    The looks are not important in considering the functionality. I think it would be a great 1st full suspension bike for her. The size seems perfect and I think I have the seller talked into waiving ship charges. These bikes seem to be well-liked by their owners. Thanks for all the advice, guys, even Tduro!

  10. #10
    I AM I AM
    Reputation: ducktape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,209
    Coming from a females perspecive here, I found the trance to be a good confidence inspiring bike (I had an '06 model but with a tad more travel up front and shorter stem etc).

    The ebay one looks good although the stem is rather long which would lead me to think that someone brought a size too small! Keep in mind the other thing XS trances mainly get used for is 4X racing etc

    I reckon it would be good bike to get . . . just make sure you get her a shorter stem! Oh the colour isn't very girly either :P

  11. #11
    Prone To Internet Drama
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    239
    I just bought an 09 Trance X2 and I absolutely love it! It is a great handling bike in every way for me and I would definately recommend one. However, I would never buy a bike on e-bay, it seems that all of my ebay deals as of late have gone very, very wrong so Im totally done with e bay forever. Id say go find a Giant dealer and buy an 09.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    160
    My buddy just bought a 08 Trance X0 for $1500 from a LBS.
    Never been rode. A great looking bike.
    I've also seen 08 X2's going for about the same price.
    So you can get good prices on 08's.
    The 08 on ebay isn't that great of a deal being that it's used.
    I'd keep looking around unless extra smalls are tough to come by?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,062
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte
    No more pregnant remarks, I don't need those forces out there at this point in my life!

    Did you ever get that new fanny pack? Those make people look pregnant too.

    By the way, anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of reading through Tduro's posts, should definitely browse them. It's like a "best of" for MTBR. Some of the funniest, most off the wall stuff I've ever read.
    And sorry Tduro, you just don't know enough about bikes or riding to make credible comments at this time. Sure, you really love the MTB lifestyle, but you're enthusiasm surpasses your credibility at this point. Maybe in about 2 more years or something. We know you like to put your 2 cents in all the time, but it's 2 cents of inexperience and foolery. But keep posting, because you post some funny $h!t. Rock on brother!
    My experiences are just as valid and credible as yours, even if they differ. I'm not sure what I did to offend you, but this campaign of ridicule is a little over the top, no? You can make anyone's comments seem ridiculous if you rearrange the words and quote them out of context, as you have been doing to mine.

    If you disagree with a comment of mine, you could simply post your opposing comment on that thread. We can then discuss it like adults, as opposed to pulling other threads off topic. That's not fair to other members.
    Last edited by tduro; 03-25-2009 at 05:09 PM.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,062
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    Hmm, I just checked my frame and no more marks on the down tube than on my other bikes, and I ride some rocky trails.

    Did you bother test riding the Trance X?
    I never had an opportunity to test ride a Trance anywhere that would alleviate my concerns about the down tube. The guy I met on the trail with the badly dented down tube seemed to confirm my suspicions, so I chose not to risk it and started looking elsewhere. Glad to hear you're having good luck with your Trance, though.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fixbikeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    561
    The '08 and '09 model numbers are not the same...last year's X2 is now the X3, last year's X1 is now the X2 and so on. Be careful with prices, last year's should be way cheaper than this year's of the same model.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: delnorte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,220
    Quote Originally Posted by tduro
    My experiences are just as valid and credible as yours, even if they differ. I'm not sure what I did to offend you, but this campaign of ridicule is a little over the top, no? You can make anyone's comments seem ridiculous if you rearrange the words and quote them out of context, as you have been doing to mine.

    If you disagree with a comment of mine, you could simply post your opposing comment on that thread. We can then discuss it like adults, as opposed to pulling other threads off topic. That's not fair to other members.
    Just go back and review your comment in the All Mountain Ski thread. Your comment there carries no validity at all. That's where it started for me. If you had a clue as to what you were talking about in that thread, you'd know that you post was very laughable. Look through some of your other posts and you'll see a similar theme.

    Even your pregnant remarks in this thread were stupid. Why are you talking about my girlfriend supposedly being pregnant and that having to do with a bike suiting her needs? WTF? Talk about pulling other threads off topic, you've posted on my thread about pregnant girlfriends. Not sure how that helps me decide on this Trance.

    Like I said, your entusiasm is there, but your statements can all be easily refuted or they are comedic because you reveal your lack of knowledge in them. Wait until you know what you're talking about before you start posting and making yourself look like a fool. Just like my signature below says, it even took you 15 years to stop riding in cotton briefs - enough said. What does that demonstrate about the validity of your advice on bikes/skis/etc.?

    Also, any advice you are offering about the Trance is unfounded. You don't ride a Trance (you've confused it with an Anthem in this thread), and your statements have all been refuted in one way or another by other posters on this thread. Actually everybody who has commented on this thread besides you has given me valuable info to consider about my decision. You've only added useless info, wrong info, or argumentative content - as usual.

    Thats all there is to it. There happens to be a lot of stuff like that from you that's very funny, when reviewing your posts. So I commented on it. I don't care to argue w/ you about it. I just hope to keep reading your "expert" commentary in the future. It's funny as heck. Especially since it comes from someone who is not an expert on the subjects you choose to speak on.
    Last edited by delnorte; 03-26-2009 at 09:10 AM.

  17. #17
    Suffers From Binge Biking
    Reputation: marsh rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    410
    Wow delnorte, you've really got it out for this guy (in other threads too). Seeing as how he's been riding for 16 years, I think it's safe to say he knows what he's talking about even if some humor is injected in his comments. Who cares if he confuses two (similar) models... who hasn't? I've only been riding for 5 years and I try to offer help where I can. Sometimes I'm told I'm wrong, but no one ever goes as far as to say my opinions are worthless and I'm only good for laughs- that's just being an a** hole. Don't take people seriously if you don't want to, but don't openly ridicule them.

    BTW:
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte
    Just go back and review your comment in the All Mountain Ski thread. Your comment there carries no validity at all.
    Umm, I didn't find anything funny or invalid about his post here.
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by TakoKichi
    My buddy just bought a 08 Trance X0 for $1500 from a LBS.
    Never been rode. A great looking bike.
    I've also seen 08 X2's going for about the same price.
    So you can get good prices on 08's.
    The 08 on ebay isn't that great of a deal being that it's used.
    I'd keep looking around unless extra smalls are tough to come by?
    Does this store have anymore new 08 XOs for that price unridden? If so could you give me the name or #? People around here would buy them all day for that price.
    Thanks Jason

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    160
    I'll check with my buddy...he lives up in San Francisco.
    From my understanding there were a couple left in a small size frame.
    We're riding tomorrow so I'll get the name of the LBS then.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,905
    the bottom bracket is what hits rocks. any concern about the down tube is just retarded.

    the trance is a great bike.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by TakoKichi
    I'll check with my buddy...he lives up in San Francisco.
    From my understanding there were a couple left in a small size frame.
    We're riding tomorrow so I'll get the name of the LBS then.
    Ok, Thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •