mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Help me build up a 2011 Giant Trance X

So, I'm looking to do my last bike project for my sister. I've more-or-less settled on the frame already which is a 2011 Giant Trance X which can be given to be relatively cheap by the shop. It actually came from a Giant Trance X2 built bike but the frame was replaced for some other and the X2 frame is brand new, no scratches, dents, whatsoever.

Anyhow, I'm looking to build a relatively el cheapo trail bike with this frame. Hence, the following questions:

1) I understand the built bike comes originally with a 125mm fork. What's an ideal 130mm fork that I can use for this frame that isn't a FOX fork? How about 140mm, can I fit a 140mm fork here?

2) What's this Overdrive thingy? Am I limited to a Giant cockpit? Can I use a fork that isn't designed for this Overdrive thingy?

3) IIRC, the rear shock travel is 120mm - or is it 125mm? Can I change the travel to 140mm or I'm stuck with it?

4) I am finding the headtube angle steep at 69.5 degrees. Can I fit an Angleset so I can slack it to 68.5 to 68 degrees? What will be the effect if I do not use an Angleset but install a 140mm fork? What will be the effect if I use an Angleset AND install a 140mm fork?

5) I'm going for a 2x10 drivetrain, using a 3x crank but replacing the big ring with a bashguard. I've been told that I cannot use your typical chainguide because of the pressfit BB. Is the Bionicon C-Guide decent for the purpose?

6) Can the rear accommodate a 142x12TA hub? How about 135x12TA? What is needed to go 142x12TA or 135x12TA for the 2011 Trance X?

Please note that this build project is meant to result to a bike that's capable for AM-ish riding. Reign is too much bike for my sister and is also too expensive.

Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    I can help with a few things.

The frame will take up to a 140 fork as far as a I know. I don't believe you need a special fork for the Overdrive tapered head tube but it may require a tapered steerer. My '11 X1 came stock with an FSA headset, Giant stem and bars. You shouldn't have any issue with the stem and bars, might want to check the specs on the Giant site for what kind of headset you need. The 140 fork should slacken the HT a bit, probably closer to 68.5. Not sure about angled stems. As for the rest of you questions hopefully others can give some in put. I know my answers were limited, just wanted to see what I could do to help anyway. Good luck
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Giant has Overdrive 1 and 2. The head tube diameter is the same. The difference is in the size of the steer tube on the fork. Overdrive 1 uses the industry standard 1.5-1.125 tapered steer tube. Over drive 2 uses Giant's perceived better 1.5-1.25 steer tube. Just get the standard tapered fork and necessary headset. You can use what ever stem you like.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I'm still running an 08 trance with a 140mm travel marzocchi 44 RC3 ti fork, & an offset rear upper shock bushing that gives 5.7" rear travel with no geometry changes.
    Couldn't find my bushing info, but the seller was an ebay contact, think from maybe Poland? An excellent product, fit perfectly, & depending where you lock it in, travel length adjustments abound.
    My large frame bike with a joplin seatpost & a hopey damper is right at 27 lbs.

mtbr member
    I put a 150mm fork on mine and added a race face bash guard.

An angleset and more rear travel would be nice but I realize that the trance is a xc/trail bike. I still ride my trance like a downhill bike but limit my drops to 4 feet and jumping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help me build up a 2011 Giant Trance X-imag1199.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    They have a very good 130mm of travel. Best in the business. You can put up to a 150mm fork on the front. I've tried all sorts but came back to a 120 or 130 fork and a 650B front wheel. Very good combo for this bike. Keeps it balanced but gives it much needed stabilty in the front. Don't put a longer shock on it. It doesn't work well. Jacks up the BB and changes the leverage path of the rear suspension so it wallows in the first part of the travel. I have also used an offset bush in the top shock bush which works well. Lowers the BB and slackens the head angle. The Giant 2011 Fox shock tune wallows a bit and the offset bush changes the leverage path to firm that up a bit. If you want a firmer climber go for a n RT3, or a pre boost valve mid tune RT3 or RP2. You can use a UK Works headset to slacken it to.

Mines a 2009 which I will flick off at some stage. I'd definately pick up a later version frame if one comes up to add to my stable of bikes. With a few simple mods to make it more contemporary [ Santa Cruz TR] it's just such a good bike.

mtbr member
    650b wheel in the front sounds interesting. Pics? What kind of stuff are you riding? what are the advantages that you notice?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Stabilty and extra cornering grip. Forget about rollover it's not noticeable.
    As long as you have a bike with low BB the 26" rear and 650B front is a good combo IMHO. Good acceleration with the 26" rear and reap the cornering benefits at the front. Only real benefit I see with purpose designed 650B bike is lower BB drop for that extra ride in the bike stabilty. It's only a 650B rear which jacks up the BB height anyway.

I ride all sorts of Terrain but Tx is only one of many bikes I own and is used to mix up the experience. It was my go to Endurance racing steed before my AX 29er and it is actually still faster on some courses. Climbs and accelerates better. Mines a 2009, so is a bit flexy and you can't push it too hard. Really nice suspension in grade 3 type stuff and long day rides.

mtbr member
    Interesting, can you refer me to a where I can find some more information on this "offset bushing" you are talking about? I have a 2011 Giant Trance and this sounds interesting.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ive recently put a Rockshox Pike 454 Dual Air on my 2011 Trance X and it's awesome, feels great. Stronger wheels will also make it more 'AM' Should handle anything your sister can throw at it id imagine then with similar upgrades.

As for the headtube, like said on a 2011 it should be normal Overdrive, which just means a standard tapered headtube. You can fit a non tapered fork like I did to it, with a reducer that fits under the crown race.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by parkp81 View Post
    Interesting, can you refer me to a where I can find some more information on this "offset bushing" you are talking about? I have a 2011 Giant Trance and this sounds interesting.
    Not the one I used but same thing.
    Burgtec Titanium Offset Shock Hardware | Burgtec

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    gvs, that looks very similar to the one I used.
    Something I omitted in my previous post was that I installed a 2" X 7.5" shock to get that extra .7" of rear travel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Not the one I used but same thing.
    Burgtec Titanium Offset Shock Hardware | Burgtec
    THanks.