Dudette

New question here. Help choosing fork upgrade

Well, I've been steadily upgrading my '05 Yukon. She was my first "real" mountain bike and I have a real fondness for her - so I went the expensive route and decided to do upgrades rather than buy a new bike for the same cost. The frame is a 14", and I wanted to be able to do a little more aggressive riding than the x-country trail riding she was originally intended for. I started with a set of Azonic Outlaws, Hussefelt stem, Gussett Slim Jim's, new brake and shifter cables and housing (Avid Flak Jackets), Sette lock-ons, bars and seatpost. I removed the outer ring and replaced with a Race Face bash guard. Eventually I'll probably look at a new cassette and chain rings, but all that is working fine for now. Next big question is what to replace the stock Suntour 100mm travel fork with. I'm planning on riding it till it breaks, but in the meantime I am looking for something with possibly slightly more travel (not over 120mm - don't want to change the geo too much) and something than can handle a little more aggressive riding. I recently saw an '08 Manitou Minute Elite Absolute on sale at Jenson - it's a closeout for $242...do you think it's worth it or does anyone have any better suggestions?

I'm trying to get some pics so I can post her progress so far...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Rockshox Tora. Great fork. Somewhat heavy, but great internals.

Dudette
    Better than the Manitou?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Manitou has a history of poor reliability, and they went out of business a year or so ago, so I'm not sure how their warranty is right now (Hayes bought them). In my experience, Rock Shox is better than Manitou in every way.

Dudette
    What do you think of the Tora 318 Coil U-turn? I've found the '08 model on a couple of sites on sale right now...
    Other question is, I'm pretty small (obviously with the 14" frame, right? ) and not over 140# with all my gear...in which case would an air fork work better for me?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Air will allow you to fine tune the spring rate, but coil will require less maintenance. At 140#, you'd probably want the a softer spring than stock, and that's about $35. I had an '08 318 U-turn with a stiff spring, and I loved it. My brother has a Recon air, which is very similar to the Tora, and it feels good, but I'd prefer to have less maintenance and more reliability.