Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

help in choosing a fork

658 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  BikeSATORI 
#1 ·
I'm wondering which fork to get for my NRS. Currently I have a marzocchi exr 100mm. I've narrowed it down to a Fox f100x and a Manitou Minute 2. I have the SGF rear arms on my nrs btw. Thanks in advance for the input. I'm open to other Fox forks also.

#2 ·
2002NRS said:
I'm wondering which fork to get for my NRS. Currently I have a marzocchi exr 100mm. I've narrowed it down to a Fox f100x and a Manitou Minute 2. I have the SGF rear arms on my nrs btw. Thanks in advance for the input. I'm open to other Fox forks also.
Some questions:

1. why are you switching from the Marzocchi?
2. what is your budget
3. what is your riding style, etc... like what are you looking to get out of the fork?

Generally speaking, the Fox will probably be torsionally stiffer and the Manitou will probably ride better. My personal experience and that of some of my friends indicates that Manitou's customer support is far and away better than Fox, but of course YMMV...

#3 ·
I've got an 04 Fox Float 100rlc on my NRS and I love it, also have the SGF's too. I will never ride any other fork on an xc bike from now on, had a SID WC carbon and the thing was a noodle. I've had a Manitou Black too, but not on my NRS, it rode pretty nice, but comes nowhere near the fox.
Sharprocks- you say Manitou's ride better than Fox's, where did you form this opinion? I'm curious, because I cannot stand SPV! I've never had to use Fox's customer service either, so maybe that says something by itself.

#4 ·
thanks bikesatori.. I'll look into that fork

sharprocks

1. my marzocchi is really heavy and it doesnt have a rebound adjustment so the ride is really harsh when going down hill. I tried letting some air out of the fork.

2. budget is around 500 (so ebay and local ads)

3. normal xc. climbing and downhill. I just want a smooth ride

#5 ·
BikeSATORI said:
Sharprocks- you say Manitou's ride better than Fox's, where did you form this opinion? I'm curious, because I cannot stand SPV! I've never had to use Fox's customer service either, so maybe that says something by itself.
The F100X he was talking about is a "Terralogic" fork if I recall correctly, which IS SPV. So is the Manitou SPV.

I think Manitou has more refined damper technology than Fox, and when tuned right, their forks ride much better. A Float RLC is a more tuneable fork than most of the Black forks (except maybe a Black Super Air). So it's not likely apples-to-apples, is it? Also on some Black forks, the compression damper adjustment is made internally (but it's not a common adjustment).

But FWIW, I have over four years of nearly-daily riding on Manitou forks, and only limited ride time on Fox. Maybe if I spent a lot of time dialing in the Fox fork, I could get the ride in the league of a Manitou.

#6 ·
sharprocks said:
The F100X he was talking about is a "Terralogic" fork if I recall correctly, which IS SPV. So is the Manitou SPV.

I think Manitou has more refined damper technology than Fox, and when tuned right, their forks ride much better. A Float RLC is a more tuneable fork than most of the Black forks (except maybe a Black Super Air). So it's not likely apples-to-apples, is it? Also on some Black forks, the compression damper adjustment is made internally (but it's not a common adjustment).

But FWIW, I have over four years of nearly-daily riding on Manitou forks, and only limited ride time on Fox. Maybe if I spent a lot of time dialing in the Fox fork, I could get the ride in the league of a Manitou.
yeah, right on, I've never ridden one of their "X" forks so I couldn't help ya there. I think I'm just aggravated w/ SPV because the Sherman Slider I have has SPV, and that is the stupidest thing you could ever put on a DC fork, I'd rather have the plushness of regular TPC than the jerky SPV! I'm getting used to it though.

btw- if you want a sort of "stable platform" it can be attained on the RLC forks too by riding w/ the lockout on and setting the blowoff threshold however you want it, so it rides stiff, then compresses when you hit a bump, but not my style, I personally dont use much of the "LC" in RLC now that I have it setup. I'm thinking of picking up a Talas soon and will just get the "R" because I personally don't think it is worth it to spend the extra $100 again just to get adjustable compression that I hardly use (hopefully the factory settings on the "R" are similar to my style?) and I never use the lockout either. Just a tip. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.