Transplant

Help: CCDB coil shock on a Glory

Just got a used CCDB that I want to setup to fit my Glory. The Giant doesn't use a DU bushing on the lower shock eyelet but instead uses the lower pivot bolt through a standard Fox-size eyelet (15mm). The problem with the Cane Creek Double Barrel is that the eyelet size is 15.9 or 16mm. Wondering if anyone has found a shim that fits this eyelet to make it work with my Glory. Thanks

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    It's been done before. Best to give Cane Creek a call on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Transplant
    I did and they said to try Giant.

I believe the shock could be rebuilt with a different eyelet/stanchion but at what that will cost, I might as well just sell it and get a Vivid. It seems like there is another way and maybe talking to a machine shop should be the next step. All I need is a shim that presses in like a DU and reduces the eyelet to 15mm.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by ekoostick View Post
    I did and they said to try Giant.

I believe the shock could be rebuilt with a different eyelet/stanchion but at what that will cost, I might as well just sell it and get a Vivid. It seems like there is another way and maybe talking to a machine shop should be the next step. All I need is a shim that presses in like a DU and reduces the eyelet to 15mm.
    The really said that? Did you talk to Malcolm?

Maybe message this guy, as he might know more...

Transplant
    Thanks for your help Uncle Cliffy. They said that the hardware for this shock needs to be sourced from Giant. I have tried calling and e-mailing Malcolm but haven't heard back from him. I have been in contact with another person there that has been super helpful. He confirmed the switching eyelets idea but that isn't ideal (for me).

That's too funny, I actually PM'd that guy today and he got back quickly and said that he bought the right one brand new. They sell the shock with a 15mm eyelet option for Specialized and Giant. His buddy is selling one for a Glory in the buy/sell forum on PB but if I have to sell this one, I will just get a Vivid.

Seems like I may have to pioneer this idea.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by ekoostick View Post
    Thanks for your help Uncle Cliffy. They said that the hardware for this shock needs to be sourced from Giant. I have tried calling and e-mailing Malcolm but haven't heard back from him. I have been in contact with another person there that has been super helpful. He confirmed the switching eyelets idea but that isn't ideal (for me).

That's too funny, I actually PM'd that guy today and he got back quickly and said that he bought the right one brand new. They sell the shock with a 15mm eyelet option for Specialized and Giant. His buddy is selling one for a Glory in the buy/sell forum on PB but if I have to sell this one, I will just get a Vivid.

Seems like I may have to pioneer this idea.
    Ahh. Good info. I assumed they just used an insert instead of machining a completely different eyelet piece.

Good luck then!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Are you sure? On my Faith I change Fox DHX with CCDB and it fit perfectly without bushing on lower eyelet

2010 Glory custom FR
    Sorry, for hijacking the thread... any news about DBAir with Glory 2010+ specific (15mm) eyelets?
    pozdro
    frango

Transplant
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxygen1973 View Post
    Are you sure? On my Faith I change Fox DHX with CCDB and it fit perfectly without bushing on lower eyelet
    I am positively, 1000% without a doubt sure that it doesn't fit. I will take a picture in the morning to demonstrate what I mean.

I will gladly trade shocks though if you want to try it with your setup

Transplant
    Here is the best picture I could get to demonstrate the small gap caused by the 16mm eyelet. I have since brought the shock and bolt to a machinist who is going to make a few different shims out of different materials for me. He thought that brass may work the best so I am hopeful I will be up and running soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help: CCDB coil shock on a Glory-img_8227.jpg  

Space Cowboy
    How did you with the mounting?
    I have the same problem on my Giant Reign X 2010

Transplant
    Got it mounted and it works awesome. Brought the bolt and shock to a machinist and 2 hours later, had a perfect shim for my Glory. Just got back from a week of shuttle-assist Canadian road tripping and can tell you it works perfect. The machinist used brass which is a little softer but has a slippery quality to it. Unfortunately the shim is so thin that it would be hard to produce something to sell to someone. Bring it to a machinist and be done with it!

Space Cowboy
    Thanks dude!

Any chance of a pic?
    How long you think it will last? I may get a few done just in case?
    Ill try get this done on Monday

Ill post with my results.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shoryuken View Post
    Thanks dude!

Any chance of a pic?
    How long you think it will last? I may get a few done just in case?
    Ill try get this done on Monday

Ill post with my results.

I came across the same problem with my 2010 Reign X2. I put some strips of Gorilla tape in the eyelet eliminating the slack. However I haven't ridden the bike yet. Do you think this is a long term remedy? I was thinking strips of tin foil if the tape doesn't work.

Space Cowboy
    i went to a machinist and got a bushing made up, about 20bucks
    Works a charm!

Transplant
    Definitely don't use gorilla tape. I can see that being a very temporary situation as the mount rocks slowly back and forth. Well here is the long awaited picture of the small shim that a machinist made for me. Great fix and survived a good 10 or so days at Whistler.Help: CCDB coil shock on a Glory-img_20130412_195108.jpg