Thread: headset help

Custom User Title:

headset help

OK I F_ed up my head set tonight. I was getting ready for the arrival of my Reba (should arrive Thursday) SO I take off the fork remove the crown race and have everything nice and neat on a shop rag. I look at the headset and spin the top feels good. Spin the bottom and it has more crunch than a bowl of frosted flakes with out milk. Well I thought that I could re grease the bearing. I tried to pop them on and that’s when I found out that it was not made to
    remove the bearings. OH well live and learn... what headset should I get? Are there one that I can service the bearing? My old one was not that old but this Florida sand gets everywhere. Thanks for any suggestion.
    You smell like dead bunnies-Ralph Wiggum

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by cigargreg
    I tried to pop them on and that’s when I found out that it was not made to remove the bearings.
    Chances are the bearing has rusted and stuck to the lower race. It will come out and yes, you can prise the seals off the bearing, wash and repack with marine grade bearing grease...

Custom User Title:
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Chances are the bearing has rusted and stuck to the lower race. It will come out and yes, you can prise the seals off the bearing, wash and repack with marine grade bearing grease...

I wish that was the case but when I tired to pull the bearings out of the cup I Screwed it up so I need a headset. I am just not sure what to get.

also if its anyhelp I think it is a "internal" headset?

Hup, Hup

also if its anyhelp I think it is a "internal" headset?
    I run a FSA internal headset and have had zero issues with it. It's as good as new.
    '06 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Scalpel Team
    '07 Cannondale SystemSix Team

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i don't think there's a lot of choice for headset. certainly no 'chris king' version that i'm aware of. as far as i know 'TH Industries' manufactures headsets for FSA, Aheadset, Cane Creek, Giant, etc. i've replaced a headset with a 'giant' labelled one before and is the same as the factory one.

there are probably some with better bearings - better seals or stainless components - so you could suss that out. maybe download the FSA headset 'book' (warning: big .pdf file, 15Mb):

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/downloads/headsetbook.pdf

as you say, probably an '1-1/8" internal headset', with outer bearing diameter of 41mm and headtube inner diameter of 44mm, outer 50mm.

Last edited by shiny_car; 01-11-2006 at 05:24 PM.
    [size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

Custom User Title:
    Thanks a lot shiny_car this is a huge help the one I have now is manufactured TH Industries for Cane Creek.

I am going to my LBS tomorrow to check out what they have. At least I know what the hell I have. Why are there three types of headsets why is there not a standard?

"El Whatever"
    Thanks a lot shiny_car this is a huge help the one I have now is manufactured TH Industries for Cane Creek.

I am going to my LBS tomorrow to check out what they have. At least I know what the hell I have. Why are there three types of headsets why is there not a standard?
    Marketing hype.

Every maker/designer say its design it's best....

However, I like the ZS headsets. I feel them a tad more stiffer and less prone to elements. But then it depends a lot on the quality of the headset itself.
    Check my Site

"El Whatever"
    What Shiny Car said.....

You're looking for a "ZS" headset.

Options Available:

Cane Creek ZS 2 and ZS 6
    WTB Innerpeace
    FSA ZS and ZR

The ZR uses the same bearings than CK's... quality is superb. Is the best thing you can put on a Giant bike without further modifications as there are cups to fit normal headsets. Note that the ZR has deeper cups, so it may require some reaming of the headtube!!!!

NONE of them is below the 35 bucks mark. So, there are no cheap mistakes with a Giant headset.

My advice, contact Jared Johnson at www.downshiftcycles.com ... he has a killer deal on FSA ZS headsets, like 10 bucks below the competition. It's "blue seals" like a Cane Creek.

I need one but I'm out of funds. Bummer.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    i just ordered the wtb inner peace from cambria for $29. the cane creek zs-6 would not fit my giant vt (without modification).

Custom User Title:
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003

The ZR uses the same bearings than CK's... quality is superb. Is the best thing you can put on a Giant bike without further modifications as there are cups to fit normal headsets. Note that the ZR has deeper cups, so it may require some reaming of the headtube!!!!
    Well I went to my LBS and talked with one of the tech he said the FSA ZR will fit so I ordered one I should be in next week My poor bike looks so sad new Reba fork but it can put it on. I really stink we have some great weather in Florida right now and my bike is in pieces!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    what bike do you have? did we ask that?

[size=1]
    [/size]
    [/size]

Custom User Title:
    I have a Trance

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    ah ok, awesome. but then i won't tease you with the REBA's on my XTC or NRS.

be sure to post up pics when you're done.

[size=1]
    [/size]
    [/size]

"El Whatever"
    Ok here she is and the wait was well worth it. The Reba is so much better compared to the Axle, the bike feels like a new beast! I can wait till I dial it in and take it on a real out for a real test!
    Congratulations!!! That's a hell of a sweet ride!!!

Just one thing... shorten the cable on your front brake after the fixing bolt... You don't want it to go into the rotor's spokes!
    Check my Site

Custom User Title:
    Ok here she is and the wait was well worth it. The Reba is so much better compared to the Axle, the bike feels like a new beast! I can wait till I dial it in and take it on a real out for a real test!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    yeah, nice....even with a camelback bladder hanging off the seat.

[size=1]
    [/size]
    [/size]