mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Which headset comes with the Reign X 2008?

I know it's Cane Creek, but what model?

I have to get a new race, but no clue which one to buy.

Any help?

Thanks!

Formerly DMR For Life
    it is a Cane Creek Zero-Stack Headset, so a crown race like this will work according to the Gary at Cane Creek

It appears that Cane Creek has a different model that they sell to the OEM market

Full Mountain

Formerly DMR For Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Mountain
    it is a Cane Creek Zero-Stack Headset, so a crown race like this will work according to the Gary at Cane Creek

It appears that Cane Creek has a different model that they sell to the OEM market

Full Mountain

errr...I guess I'm wrong that crown race that I linked doesn't work

anyone have any ideas on this?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    interesting. mine has a FSA zero-stack headset. I didn't get it from giant though, so it might be aftermarket.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    My 2007 came with an OEM version of the FSA Orbit Z.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I just ordered that same crown race for my 08" x, I'll post up if mine doesn't work. Its the one piece keeping me off the trail right now.

Formerly DMR For Life
    The reason that I say its a Cane Creek is because the top bearing cover has Cane Creek on it, but all the headsets on their website have cartridge bearings where as this one has caged loose bearings I realize this could be an OEM thing to though

The Zero stack crown race that I did get ended up being loose inside the headset (the tapered bit wasn't high enough, so now I have to find out which one is going to fit from looking around on their website the race that seems to match the best is the one for the S and IS series of headsets

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    My top cover has FSA on it...I should have read that before I ordered the part. Its an 08' X2

Formerly DMR For Life
    Quote Originally Posted by sammysmc
    My top cover has FSA on it...I should have read that before I ordered the part. Its an 08' X2
    Could you post pics of your headset without the top cover on it

thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    They are loose ball bearing, I just peeked inside. Here's the pics, I wonder if I should just buy a a sealed bearing headset while my bike is apart.

Formerly DMR For Life
    huh that looks just about identical to mine...are they loose caged or just straight loose?

If I can't find the proper crown race for this thing then I very well might be looking for a new headset too...arrrgghhh...thanks for the pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Loose caged it looks like. I'm getting disgruntled. I emailed FSA, and just got off the phone with the nearest Giant dealer. The bike only has 1 ride on it, and the guy I got it from I suspect used the incorrect crown race when he had a Manitou Dorado on it. The headset is in pretty good shape so I hesitate to buy the new headset. I think the dealer is going to order me a crown race. I'll see how it goes.

Formerly DMR For Life
    they didn't happen to mention what headset it was did they?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    the headset on my X has FSA on the top cap of the stack (no mention of model), and has sealed bearings (look very similar to the one's in the cane creek S-2 on my other bike. good bearings, blue dust seal). Like I said, I'm not sure whether that's the OEM part, or if one of the guys who owned it before me swapped it.

Also, FWIW, it's an 08, probably bought frame only (doesn't have any X1, XO, X2 label on it, just reign X)

Also, the crown race was essentially an aluminum compression ring (it has a split in it). the top compression ring was the same gold colored one pictured up top.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The giant dealer is going to call giant on monday, I'll hear from them soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    FSA and Giant won't replace parts on an OEM headset, so I am buying a ZS-2. Sucks because the headset has 2 rides on it and now is going to be a paperweight.

Formerly DMR For Life
    Quote Originally Posted by sammysmc
    FSA and Giant won't replace parts on an OEM headset, so I am buying a ZS-2. Sucks because the headset has 2 rides on it and now is going to be a paperweight.
    I heard back from the shop that I bought my bike from they say that a FSA Orbit Z crown race will work with, both the ones with the Cane Creek top cap and the FSA one

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    oh well, I guess I'll have a spare.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'm looking for a race also for a 2008 reign xo that came w/ a cane creek headset. anyone know which model cane creek is stock?

thanks,

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Dog View Post
    I know it's Cane Creek, but what model?

I have to get a new race, but no clue which one to buy.

Any help?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SinglePivot View Post
    Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'm looking for a race also for a 2008 reign xo that came w/ a cane creek headset. anyone know which model cane creek is stock?

thanks,

-Sp
    It is a OEM canecreek headset. Contact Canecreek directly and ask for the part # HSS22101 . I thinks it about 11$.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    right on!

thanks,

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by nightnerd View Post
    It is a OEM canecreek headset. Contact Canecreek directly and ask for the part # HSS22101 . I thinks it about 11$.