mtbr member

Hayes Stroker Ryde Custom for Giant?

Anybody know what the difference is between the Stroker Rydes that came on 2008 Giant bikes compared the the 2009 Models. In the description for 2009, Giant has added "Custom for Giant". Is there any difference? Maybe it uses the "Ryde" lever but the "Trail" caliper.
    Anybody gotz the answer?

mtbr member
    I think the only difference between 08 and 09 is that the Stroker Ryde’s are now black. It’s hard to tell from the photos on Giant’s site but the callipers definitely aren’t custom and neither is the fact there’s no reach adjustment on the Ryde’s. I don’t know about the lever blades or master cylinder though…

Cycle Solutions
    Whatever the case they are awful brakes. Get rid of them!

mtbr member
    I had a look a the Trance X3 in my LBS, there is nothing custom about them that would effect their shocking performance. Itís well worth getting a higher model with the Stroker Trailís or some other better brake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    I had a look a the Trance X3 in my LBS, there is nothing custom about them that would effect their shocking performance. It’s well worth getting a higher model with the Stroker Trail’s or some other better brake.
    Yes I understand that that they are not the best brakes out there. I just bought the Reign2 for the frame. Everything else is being sold. To me the Ryde's look like HFX9 calipers mated to basic Stroker MC/levers without any frills. I imagine braking power is at least as good or better than HFX9's which I have had on a few bikes that have worked flawlessly for the last 3 years. I am also aware how stronger brakes feel as I have codes on my DH bike.
    The reason I asked is because Giant changed the description of the brakes from the 08 Reign model to the 09 model and I wanted to know whether the "custom" meant anything new and I do plan on getting new brakes (Elixir CR) but since I have HFX9's on the original bike and will upgrade brakes later, I wanted to know if the Ryde's were better than the HFX9's.
    Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by wormvine; 03-26-2009 at 03:40 PM.

A mean teen...
    Feb 2007
    How come the Ryde's are poo? I have a set and they're pretty powerful, or is it just my weight and size of discs?!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    They are good brakes. They had some quality control issues the first year they made them but its all resolved now. They have good power and modulation after they are broken in.

A mean teen...
    Feb 2007
    Oh right! I must be lucky then, mine are 2008. The paint on the levers rub away easily, but that's nothing to worry about!

Cycle Solutions
    No it's not just the Rydes it's all of the Strokers. They work well for the first couple months but have trouble with sloppy lever return with a bit of use. I have found this in every model up to the Gram.

mtbr member
    How do you come to the conclusion that the Ryde’s have good modulation? The Trail’s do but the Ryde’s don’t due to the different calliper. In fact the modulation is so poor compared to the power I wouldn’t use them cos I consider them to be dangerous, sooner or later you’re going to jam your brakes on and go over the bars, especially with the 180mm rotor on the front of the Trance X and stupid 200mm rotors Specialized put on the front of bikes. Apart from that the lever blades are very uncomfortable compared to the Trail’s.

Cycle Solutions
    Actually I love how instantly powerful they are, that is all of the Strokers. That is their one redeeming quality.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm 6'2" weigh in at 210, about 225 in full gear and I'm happy with the rydes. I have no problem with modulation, they're more than powerful enough to stop me and I have never even come close to accidentally going over. I even had a 7 inch rotor on the back for a while and could still easily control braking (bigger rotor was even worse on howl noise), maybe 'cause I'm a clydesdale lol.

My only complaint is the HORRIBLE howl noise from the back, which I eventually solved with a set of KoolStop organic pads.

I always wondered if "custom" meant they changed something beacuse of all the rear howl complaints...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The only differance is in the brake line length.Giant request differant length lines for there bikes.I have used Avid and XTR brakes and so far they Hayes have worked the best for me.I will admit they have a tendancy to be little touchy with 7 inch or greater rotors.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benno
    Actually I love how instantly powerful they are, that is all of the Strokers. That is their one redeeming quality.
    I love that about the Trail’s and Gram’s but not the Ryde’s, it has been mentioned in a couple of reviews that the Ryde’s have too much power with too little modulation and engage too sharply. Obviously you’ll get used too them but I’m used to better modulated brakes than that, I've seen a couple of riders go over the bars because of those brakes and I've nearly done it myself when I've ridden a bike fitted with them.
    Last edited by EGF168; 03-27-2009 at 07:12 AM.

Cycle Solutions
    Yeah and since the Ryde is a lower end brake you would expect less experienced riders to be using it so less power is always a good idea. Not to stereotype............flame suit on

Chiller

Ryde..hella noisy..!!

I have these brakes on my Reign and they work good for me, my only complain is they squeal and howl going down the hill. It's kinda getting on my nerves actually. I tried the alcohol on the rotors but didn't work.
    What would be a good upgrade from them?

A mean teen...
    Feb 2007
    Have you tried putting grease or brake paste behind the pads?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yeah, noise from disc brakes is kinda random. You could spend a ton of $$ on new brakes and have them squeal and warble too. You are better of fixing what you have.

Disc noise is always a problem with vibration, harmonic frequencies to be exact. Brakes will always vibrate but you only hear it when the vibration hits a frequency in tune with some part of your bike like the frame or spokes.

To stop the noise you need to change the frequencies or dampen the vibration. Grease behind the brake pads will dampen some vibration and may work. Changing brake pad brand or going from organic to semi-metallic pads would change the fequencies. Changing to another rotor of a diffrent shape/pattern could also help.

All of these solutions are cheaper than a new set of brakes.

Cycle Solutions
    I don't suggest the general public start putting grease on their calipers. Let your mechanic do it if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Benno
    I don't suggest the general public start putting grease on their calipers. Let your mechanic do it if you don't know exactly what you are doing.
    Sigh...you are so right about this. I am a pretty mechanically inclined guy and I have a bad habit of assuming most riders are too but that is soooo not true based even on my own experiences.

Chiller
    I will have to take to the mechanic as I dont' want to mess anything up. They howl pretty good though and would like it to silence a bit.

Cycle Solutions
    I have never done the grease on the pads thing, personally I am skeptical. They can see a lot of heat which would make the grease less viscous and I could see it bleeding into the pad material. Personally I would just sand the pads and rotors to get the glaze off. I would also try repositioning the caliper. A lot of time pads can get contaminated too from many different sources so swapping them out might help. A lot of the time I can just tell from looking if a pad has been contaminated.

A mean teen...
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AnewMadrid
    I will have to take to the mechanic as I dont' want to mess anything up. They howl pretty good though and would like it to silence a bit.
    My 180mm rear disc that I fitted at the weekend tended to squeal randomly while out on the trails, more than what my ex gf did!

Tried paste between the pads and didn't work, but I noticed that one of my pads hasn't even worn straight!

DTL
    mtbr member
    I have the stroker tails on my 2008 trance x1 (awesome bike). Like the other poster in this thread my brakes howl horribly. Are the organic pads the answer for this and if so where can I get some? On the other hand in my opinion the brakes do provide pretty good stopping power.