will race for beer
    Mar 2004

Hayes HFX-9 problem

I have a 2004 NRS 1, about a month old, and am having trouble with one of the breaks. The rear feels fine, but the lever on the front pulls too far in before contacting the rotor and the modulation is much worse than on the rear.

Bike shop has bled the brakes 3 times (this is a good shop with a really good mechanic, so I know it is being done correctly) but with the same results. The shop is waiting to hear from Gaint and Hayes.

I was wondering if anyone else is having trouble with these brakes. If I can't get it resolved I will probably get some better breaks, but I hate to throw money at a bike that is brand new.

thanks

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmillbern
    I have a 2004 NRS 1, about a month old, and am having trouble with one of the breaks. The rear feels fine, but the lever on the front pulls too far in before contacting the rotor and the modulation is much worse than on the rear.

Bike shop has bled the brakes 3 times (this is a good shop with a really good mechanic, so I know it is being done correctly) but with the same results. The shop is waiting to hear from Gaint and Hayes.

I was wondering if anyone else is having trouble with these brakes. If I can't get it resolved I will probably get some better breaks, but I hate to throw money at a bike that is brand new.

thanks
    Have you tried to screw out the adjustment screw?? They work there way in and require some locktite(put on carefully). I know it sounds very very basic but it is a common problem. Just get the right size allen key(I think 3mm) and there should be a small bolt in the lever for it.
    If it is this, then I hope you didn't pay them for the rebleeds.
    BTW nice bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Have you tried to screw out the adjustment screw?? They work there way in and require some locktite(put on carefully). I know it sounds very very basic but it is a common problem. Just get the right size allen key(I think 3mm) and there should be a small bolt in the lever for it.
    If it is this, then I hope you didn't pay them for the rebleeds.
    BTW nice bike.
    He is right, there is an adjustment screw on the inside of the brake lever(toward the stem). It will move your piston on the inside of the resevoir and the brake will catch sooner hopefully fixing your problem.

will race for beer
    Mar 2004
    I have adjusted the screw a little, but the modulation still feels a off. I didn't have to pay for the bleeding. The shop only did it more than once because it didn't feel quite right to him eigther. I out a little loc tight on also, so mabey it will hold

thanks
    scoTt

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    I have adjusted the screw a little, but the modulation still feels a off. I didn't have to pay for the bleeding. The shop only did it more than once because it didn't feel quite right to him eigther. I out a little loc tight on also, so mabey it will hold

thanks
    scoTt
    Do it more then a little, it's not very sensitive.
    You can compare how far the screw is in/out by looking at the other brake.
    I do reccomend pulling the lever apart to add locktite cause it can drip into all sorts of places and it happened to me and locked my levers in place. Just put some on the screw part carefully.

will race for beer
    Mar 2004
    Well, the loctite seems to have done the trick. Brakes still have a softish feel, but they stop well. I only have V-Brakes and a few test rides to compare them to though.

I took several extended rides on a bike a while back with Magura brakes (not sure whick ones), and the feel seemed a lot better to me. I will probably look at upgrading the brakes next year sometime (next work bonus ) to save weight. Looking at the mfg listed weightes the HFX9's are pretty hefty.

Thanks for the info!!

scoTt

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Good job!

Well, the loctite seems to have done the trick. Brakes still have a softish feel, but they stop well. I only have V-Brakes and a few test rides to compare them to though.

I took several extended rides on a bike a while back with Magura brakes (not sure whick ones), and the feel seemed a lot better to me. I will probably look at upgrading the brakes next year sometime (next work bonus ) to save weight. Looking at the mfg listed weightes the HFX9's are pretty hefty.

Thanks for the info!!

scoTt

Don't throw away the brake, it can be repair.I have same problem like you.Remove both piston and skin the side wall with fine sand paper.Use electric drill and chuck the pin that holding the pad.Skim around 0.2 mm.Smear silicone grease on the piston and square seal during installation.Re-bleed as usual - use syringe.This thing best done by yourself not LBS.

Mansor , Paka.