mtbr member

Having trouble with a decision. Reign or reign x

First off, im new here. Secondly, yes I have searched and found multiple topics comparing the reign and reign x. Unfortunately, none of them answered my questions so your help would be appreciated :-)

I currently ride a cannondale sl5 and while it is treating me really well, I crave for rear suspension. I regularily do 50-60 km rides on pretty flat river side trails. Unfortunately, every time I see a drop or jump, I must hit it. As well, I plan to do some mountain rides on semi technical singletrack later in the year and hopefully regularily.

Im 185cm 95kg

Wondering if you all think the reign x is overkill for my needs. Is it comfortable for long distance rides with as many jumps as I can fit in?

Likewise, is the regular reign strong enough to hold up to a 95kg fella doing a 1.5m drop to flat(not hoping for many of these, just want to be safe)

If there are any owners out there please let me know.

Cheers

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    If you intend to keep doing long distance, mainly on flat river trails or 'semi technical singletrack' an RX is huge overkill. Sounds like an Anthem or Trance would be more appropriate.

Are you sure that you're being realistic about the kind of riding you will be doing? Moving from 'flat river side trails' to '1.5 m drop to flats' is a pretty big step, unless you are using the Pinkbike method of measuring drops.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I agree. The reign x is a great pedalling bike for what it is, but it is by far more suited to gravity fed freeride trails then 50 -60k rides. The reign x would be a great second bike if you were keep your cannondale for for your long rides and use it for rougher terrain/park riding, but if you are just looking for a single bike for the riding you are describing I would look at a trance x with a 140mm fork.

Also drops have as much, if not more, to do with skill as they do with with frame strength. So to say will a bike stand up to an x sized drop is really subjective.

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot for the replies. Makes sense the RX is overkill for me. I ideally would like the one bike to rule them all for my needs if it exists.

I have always enjoyed "epic" rides and jumping as much as possible while doing it.

I know doing jumps/drops is dependent on rider skill. If I do decide to go the Reign/ Trance route, how far can I realistically push these if I do start progressing to bigger stuff?