mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Has anybody converted their Anthem X 29'er to a 1 X (10) ??

Have you converted your Anthem X 29'er into a 1 X 9 or 10 speed or..?. I kinda want to try ss but instead I was thinking of trying my Anthem x 29'er as a 1 X .... A 10-42 cassette would make it fairly easy but the new 1 X SRAM setups are costly as heck. There are other ways to go about it.

So have youu gone to one front chainring on their Anthem X 29'er? How did you do it?
    Last edited by morkys; 08-14-2013 at 12:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    What crankset is currently on your bike?
    2002 Giant Rincon
    2012 Diamondback Podium 3
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29
    2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    My Anthem X 29 is a 2013 with stock Shimano 2 X 10.
    SLX crank with 24 / 38 chainrings.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Re: Has anybody converted your Anthem X 29'er to a 1 X (10) ??

Hope you can see it in the picture. When I bought the bike I had the LBS add BBG bash guards for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    My Anthem X 29 is a 2013 with stock Shimano 2 X 10.
    SLX crank with 24 / 38 chainrings.

1. Replace both chainrings with single chainring
    2. Remove front derailleur
    3. Remove front shifter (left side)

You can replace your existing two rings with a single ring. Manufacturers such as Wolf Tooth Components and Race Face make a ring with the same 104 BCD (bolt circle diameter) as the Shimano SLX M675 cransket.

These two manufactures (probably others) make chainrings with a narrow+wide tooth design that reportedly reduces incidents of chain drop. Using a Shadow+ or Type 2 rear derailleur will offer additional insurance against chain drop (or you can use a chain guide).
    2002 Giant Rincon
    2012 Diamondback Podium 3
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29
    2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    .delete
    Last edited by morkys; 08-13-2013 at 09:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rt4x4 View Post
    Hope you can see it in the picture. When I bought the bike I had the LBS add BBG bash guards for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    How is it working for you? What size is your front chainring?

- - - -

I am thinking of a 36 or 34 front chainring, no lower. Almost want to train stronger, but, I am also thinking of the new Shimano General Lee adapter which gives you a 40 lowest cog.

Is there anything about the design of the Maestro that I should pay attention to in terms of the anti-bob characteristics? I guess I could just try diff front chain rings with my 11-36 with or without the Shimano General Lee adapter and see how it works. I have been trying some climbs in the 38 front 36 rear as much as I can and can't recall the bob situation. Although, regardless of the design of the Maestro suspension, there can be more bob in taller gears simply because of more downward force per pedal stroke. Anyhow, I'll pay attention the next time I try it.

mtbr member
    May 2012

I have the stock 32T up front its more then plenty for the trails here in North Texas. As for bob I haven't really had any problems with this bike, I usually stay seated and lock the fork on steep climbs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Gotcha. Mine is 2 x 10 so I have to downsize the 38...

What's your rear cassette?

mtbr member
    May 2012

11-36 cassette

Don't forget to take a few links off the chain.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    My Brodie Mettle has three front chainrings and has a 32 tooth 104 BCD chainring. Looks like I found my test subject. I can adjust the front drlr stops so the front drlr doesn't work, basically use it as a chain guide, maybe even remove the shifter and cable and 24 tooth granny right away so I am stuck with no options but 32-36...test ride/commitment. I think in the long run, a 34 or 36 wide/narrow chainring with the General Lee 40 tooth could be a good way to go. I was trying to middle ring climbs today, and although I was tired from lack of sleep and not enough energy (food)...I still think a 38 front is definitely too big for me for a 1 X right now...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I converted mine to a 1X10. Same exact bike as yours - 2013 Anthem x1 with the SLX cranks. I used a Raceface chainring (34t) and MRP chainguide. I didn't use a bash guard. Broke my chainguide today somehow, rode without it but dropped chain twice. If I had a wide-narrow chainring and clutch type derailleur like a shadow plus the guide may not be necessary, but if you're going for a quick conversion you need a chainring and a guide.

BUT, and a big BUT, here's the thing to watch with the Shimano 2x setup. Apparently the chainline is different from older stuff and 3x10 stuff, as well as different from SRAM. The chainring ends up farther to the right by a fair bit, enough that my MRP guide that I bought new wouldn't work. I made it work by shimming it (maybe why it broke?), but will probably go back to 2x10 for this reason. Just be aware that if you plan to use a chainguide, it probably won't line up out of the box and plan to modify.

I had contact with someone from MRP on this, and they evidently have no plans on making a guide to convert Shimano 2X drivetrains to 1X.

"The new 2013 SLX cranks in a dual ring only has a different chain line than last years crank. This crank has a dual ring specific chain line and so is not compatible with
    single ring chain guides."

When I asked if I could shim it or go back to 2X:
    "I would go back to a dual ring set up as the chain line would cause
    major rub on the guide if you set it up as a single ring. If you find your
    self in the market for a new crank, look for some thing that is a triple
    ring or single ring specific."

Granted, I shimmed it and it didn't rub the chain on the guide, but the chainline from crank to cassette when using the bigger gears can probably cause premature drivetrain wear.

When I asked about making a guide to fit this chainline, the response was:
    "We do not have any plans for that since that would be a bad chain
    line for single ring use and would have significant run when in your granny
    gears."