mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Hardtail to NRS3

Hello,
    I am a newbie to full suspension bikes and tried an NRS 3 and just fell in love with the suspension. I bought a 2003 NRS3 with an NRS rear shock and had some questions:

1. When I ride the trails it feels like the back end of the bike wants to go in a different direction than the front end, is this typical of the NRS frame or is it something I need to get used to after being on the hardtail for quite some time. As I am not a lightweight is it also possible that I need to adjust the rear shock as well?

2. I noticed that other frames from other manufacturers seems to have the rear shock intalled differently than mine, are there special considerations for the rear shock that I need to know or will any manufacturer be ok?

Thanks,

Jason Novich

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have a 2005 nrs3 and love it as well. Before I would do any other thinking about it, make sure your rear shock's pressure matches the specs for your weight. It sounds like it needs quite a bit positive pressure so it doesn't bob as much. Just a guess on my part.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I ride an 05 nrs 2.. love it, love it, love it. very fast bike. Sounds like you definately running a little low on rear shock pressure. I set the rear up at my weight with 0 sag and it will absorb everything with no bob. You may also want to look at your center of gravity and if you feel most of your weight is behind the bike a longer stem may balance you out over the bike a little more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks guys, will check the rear shock for the pressure setting. Although I downloaded a manual for the shock, it seems my weight is not currently on the chart.

Any recommendations for a good rear shock on a budget that can handle a 230lbs rider?

And yes my weight is going down, thanks to the biking.

J.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I really like fox and ride the float r ava that came on my nrs. I would not change it. No lock out but it really doesn't need one as the suspension on the nrs has no bob. The shock is smooth and maintenance is none. Fox does a great job on all their shocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    What size would I need?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    6.5x1.5 on my 2005...Just to make sure you measure your shock eye to eye (mounting bolt to mounting bolt) for length x amount of shock travel. I don't think this ever changed despite some minor frame changes for 05.