mtbr member

Goodbye Trance X, hello Reign/Reign X?

Hi all, I've been riding my 2010 Trance X3 for a while now and am thinking of upgrading to a more capable bike. Don't get me wrong, the Trance has served me well and its an adequate bike for the trails I ride, just that it gets a little hairy on the descents. I tinkered with the idea of getting a new wheelset and dropper post but with the money spent I think I could sell off the Trance and get a longer travel and trail-oriented bike. Also, the mechanic at my local bike shop said that the derailleur hanger dropouts on my frame are wearing out and advised me to change the bike soon.

So here comes the dilemma. My dealer has got the 2012 Reign X2, which runs on coil suspension. They will also be bringing in the new 2013 Reign 1, at the same price as the X2. I don't know which bike I should go for! For my weight (97kg/214lbs), the Reign X2 with coil fork and shock seems more suitable. Then again the Reign 1 has got really good components (SLX groupset, dropper post), it's like purchasing a complete bike without the need to change anything much. Both bikes score in the looks department so that's not an issue. My ultimate aim is to get an all-mountain bike and stop there; freeride and DH bikes are simply overkill for me.

I ride trails that have a good mix of climbs and descents, some technical and steep descents which I would normally push my bike down instead of ride. I don't do jumps...biggest drops might be 1 foot high that's all.

Appreciate the help I can get from fellow riders here. The specs for both bikes are below:

Reign 1 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Reign X 2 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Canada
    2010 Giant Trance X3
    2013 Giant Reign 1

May contain nuts
    Given your trail description - Reign 1 is more suitable by far

No Stranger to danger....
    i agree with above, the standard reign is the go for you imo, the reign x is almost a freeride bike, i own a 2012 reign 2, its a very capable bike, if you not into overkill stick with the standard reign, cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Reign 1 for sure:
    new SLX group, fork and shock ok and lightweight, dropper post and iscg tab, that what was missing for the older version of the reign.

Reign X2 would be heavier, probably 2 to 3kg.

I ride one Reign X and you need to like downhill section, drop, jump and steep to go for it.