mtbr member
    Jan 2007

going from 05 Reign 2 to an 08 Reign X1

I have a 2005 or 6 Reign 2 and love this thing, best bike I have ever rode, it is an 18" frame which feels pretty comfy but perhaps is a bit big. I have found a 16" 08 Reign X1 frame which I kinda really want, I just wonder if a 16 will be too small. I am 5'8ish or 5'9 with normal length arms. my 18" feels good but a little big, seems like a smaller frame would be more tossable and controllable for me, more likely to get in to the air.
    never rode a 16" reign before, have rode a 16" trance which felt good but a bit small.

I have attached a picture of my usual seat ride height. when my knees come up pedaling they are about 9 inches from the handle bars if that says anything.

really could use some advice here, might help me save a chunk of cash or help me have a much better time on the trails
    thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Maybe, it depends.

I'm 5,8 and ride an 18" Reign X1, but, I have a long torso, and I use the bike for AM as well as DH, and also installed a 50mm stem. If I only rode downhill, the 16" size would be ideal, so if you like a smaller frame, it should be ok.

But, if you can, try and test ride a 16 and 18 Reign X to make sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    are the dimensions on the X a bit smaller than the original Reign? I ride mostly single track and am getting into slight downhill and drops. I dont feel comfortable hitting gaps, but that might be me rather than how the bike feels.
    another question is can I swap everything from my reign over to an X1?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Actually, the medium Reign X has a toptube .2" longer than the regular medium Reign. I'm 6'3" and I ride a medium Reign X. If you like your bike to be a bit smaller, you might want the small X. Especially if you don't have a long torso.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Swapping parts - I'm not certain if the front derailler is the same clamp size. I think the BB is the same but not certain.
    Does the X1 frame you are looking at have a shock, headset etc?
    Otherwise everything should fit, but the fork is a bit shorter than ideal - assuming that's the 145mm Nixon on your current bike - it has an a-c of ~520mm?, and the 160mm Fox36 that comes on the Reign X is 545mm, so the HA will be steeper and the BB height will be pretty low.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Yeah, your bottom bracket will probably be too low. Even the stock fork sets the bb pretty low.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    yes, I have the Nixon, no the frame I am looking at is frame and rear coil shock. so my fork will not be ideal on the small X, any afordable fork suggestions and what size would I be looking for? 160mm?

possibly front derailler

have not found any 16 reigns to try out near me, 18 trance is closest, no good there but the LBS guys seem to agree I could ride a 16 without problem

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well the fork choices might depend on the riding you plan to do.

A few people have put 66 forks on Reign X and love them for DH riding, since it raises the front a bit.

I've found my stock Van36R (160mm) does pretty well for AM and DH riding, I don't really miss the compression adjustments, but I really wish it had the new QR 20mm axle.

Depending on your budget, and the mix of uphill and downhill you want:
    Fox 36
    Marz 66
    Neither are cheap, but there are deals if you are in the right place at the right time.

Alternately,
    RS Lyric or Domain 160mm
    Magura Wotan 160mm
    Manitou Nixon 160mm, Travis Single 150mm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    the Marz 66 is 180mm, that might a bit much for my needs, I cross country a lot too, the 145 nixon I have now feels great

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    oh and what size steer tube am I looking for? if I find a deal on a good used shck

thanks for the helps and advices

Forrest

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    wow the Domain is way cheap and has good reviews, sounds good for XC riding as well, I could run this fork on my 18" reign 2 as well if I choose to keep that bike instead?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    also what diameter steer tube am I looking for

looking at either fox talas 36 or rockshox domain, best combintaion of price and review and all mountain XC use i can find

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Reign X has the same 1 1/8 steerer as the Reign.

One thing about the Domain - it's a good value, but is a bit heavy (6+ lbs?).
    But, if that's ok with you, then a U-turn Domain 318, or Talas would be great on your current bike (dialled down as needed) and swap easily to the Reign X.
    Also there's a non-U-turn Domain that's fixed at 180mm, so don't get that by accident.

The Fox Talas 36 changed from 150mm (05 I think) to 160mm in '06, and either the '06 or '07 model changed from a variable travel dial, to the 100/130/160mm switch, which is on the current model. So, you might find one better than the other for your current bike.
    There are some deals on the earlier Talas forks, but there were also some problems too.

Another possibility - many people are saying the Float36 is smooth and more reliable than the Talas36 (just a simple air spring), and it can be lowered internally (with spacers), so you could lower it a bit for your current bike, and raise it to 160mm if you get a Reign X frame.