mtbr member
    May 2012

Giant's ugly looking welds

Does anyone know why Giant doesn't clean up the welds on their bike frames? The bikes would look much nicer with some cleaned up frame welds. They do it for other Companies frames they build like the 9ers.

I'd gladly pay a bit extra for a nicer looking frame.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Re: Giant's ugly looking welds

It's a weld. Who cares as long as it's strong.
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I do that's why I asked. It makes the bike look like it was welded by a 3rd grader.

mtbr member
    do you have a closeup pic of an example? i'm new to the sport so i haven't noticed. and maybe a pic of the same area on another bike that the welds look more acceptable.
    2013 Giant Trance X29 2
    2012 Specialized Hardrock Disc 29er

Slower But Faster
    My Reign X welding is excellent, couldn't ask for better. I'd rather have welds with good penetration and no slag inclusion than looking good cosmetically but in my case I have both. I wouldn't want anyone removing metal from a weld simply to look pretty and risk compromising its strength.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

The welds on my Reign look fantastic... Post up some pics, I'd be interested to see what's bugging you.

The short answer is it takes a LOT more work to clean/smooth the welds. That translates to additional cost. I presume that's the primary reason. I am glad they don't go through that exercise... The industry has its fair share of overpriced frames, I'm glad Giant still offers "affordable" bikes.

-jm

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

cowbell
    Yeah. I'm no artist with a welder, but I can sure put something together, gas, GMAW, or MIG. And all the welds on my Anthem look very good to me. I'd be proud to have made any of them.

My Brain Hurts!
    I never considered the welds on a Giant to be ugly myself...but as some have said I also prefer the metal to stay there rather than (possibly) compromise the strength of the frame.

I guess for me it comes down to, if you want a bike to look like a Niner, buy a Niner...As for me, on my Rincon, I'd blow by ya so fast you couldn't see a weld, let alone how good it was..
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfGumby View Post
    I never considered the welds on a Giant to be ugly myself...but as some have said I also prefer the metal to stay there rather than (possibly) compromise the strength of the frame.

I guess for me it comes down to, if you want a bike to look like a Niner, buy a Niner...As for me, on my Rincon, I'd blow by ya so fast you couldn't see a weld, let alone how good it was..
    You do know Giant builds the frames for Niner right? I guess Niner wants their frame welds to look nicer. It can be done but it would cost more. How much more would an hour or two of Giant Factory labor cost?
    I've not heard of any issues with the cleaned up welds causing any frame strength issues on the Niner bikes.

Personally, I would pay more but from the replies here, Giant will keep doing what they do.
    Customer feedback gets thing changed and it looks like Giant will keep the welds the same if you guys had your choice.

Every one of the bikes my buddies ride have cleaned up welds. IMHO the Giant welds make the frames look cheap and unfinished.
    To each his own I guess.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Yep - everyone has their preference. My buddies Santa Cruz Blur LT has visible welds, and I don't think anyone considers them cheap or "budget" quality. But as you pointed out, this is a matter of personal taste.

-jm

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

cowbell
    Eh. Look at it this way. You bought a bike that's considered one of the best value's in the industry in terms of bang for your buck, and the biggest complaint you have are that the welds look ugly. I'd say you're doing ok.

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by excaliber View Post
    You do know Giant builds the frames for Niner right? I guess Niner wants their frame welds to look nicer. It can be done but it would cost more. How much more would an hour or two of Giant Factory labor cost?
    I've not heard of any issues with the cleaned up welds causing any frame strength issues on the Niner bikes.

Personally, I would pay more but from the replies here, Giant will keep doing what they do.
    Customer feedback gets thing changed and it looks like Giant will keep the welds the same if you guys had your choice.

Every one of the bikes my buddies ride have cleaned up welds. IMHO the Giant welds make the frames look cheap and unfinished.
    To each his own I guess.
    Oh I know Giant builds Niners Frames...and about 100 other brands too... And I still say I have no issue with their welds. and you are correct, to each their own. I don't feel like paying for another hour or two of labor, or whatever additional it takes to make the Giant welds look like Niner speced welds.

But I guess I said that, kinda, in my first reply... As long as the weld holds, I'm golden.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

Registered Dietitian
    The funny thing is, the argument against Cannondale's (and Klein's) smooth aluminum welds in the past was always that the removal of material made the joint weaker than a good single-pass weld.

Companies like Ventana make the visible aluminum welds a selling point, on the other end of the spectrum.

If you want a smooth joint, buy a carbon frame. No good reason (besides cosmetic) to file down an aluminum weld (and maybe some good reasons not to).