mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Giant Yukon - good or bad buy????

I recently bought a Giant Yukon w/ disc brakes.

Now.. after 4 trips hereof 2 on regular roads, and no particular abuse even a normal bike couldn't withstand.
    Nevetheless, twice now I've had to take it back to the shop to get the crank tightend and adjusted. Too poor I think considering it's a brandnew bike.
    It's my first Giant however I researched quite a lot and found only good reviews. Now I wish I could give it back but its bought in the US, and I brought it back to europe with me, so that option is not there.

Have anybody had similar experiences with GIANT?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hmm, i thinkt he yukon is a great bike, a really nice frame and some pretty decent parts. giant has a reputation of giving you a good amount for what you spend in terms of components as well, thats strange that your having this many troubles with your bike tho, maybe it has something more to do with your shop not fully tuning your bike properly? if properly tuned, your bike should last you for a long time problem free. if its a warranty issue, giant is usually really good about taking care of warranty problems as well, usually quite quick and painless compared to other companies.

Well thats just my 2 cents, hope this kind of helps

mtbr member
    May 2004

Yukon = Good buy.

Hey there,

I bought a Giant Yukon, 19" frame about a month and a half ago. I have been out on it for a half dozen off road 'bumpy' rides, and about a half dozen longer hard packed dirt trail rides. So far the only thing I have had to do to keep it like new is clean and grease it.

I weight about 220 lbs, but I don't do anything hardcore. This is the first mountain bike I have owned in about 10 - 12 years, so I am really a newbie. But in my opinion I couldn't have picked a better bike to get into mountain biking with.

Right Coast
    I've had my Yukon for over a year now and I have not had that problem at all. I would try and take it to a second bike shop for repair and if the crank comes loose again then it is a warranty issue. If it stays adjusted then it was probably the bike shop's fault. Good luck.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by StormShadow
    I've had my Yukon for over a year now and I have not had that problem at all. I would try and take it to a second bike shop for repair and if the crank comes loose again then it is a warranty issue. If it stays adjusted then it was probably the bike shop's fault. Good luck.
    Seems like a common problem with those cranks. Maybe try some Locktite on the bolt too stop it from coming loose, also try to tighten that little bit extra.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Here it is

Here's my Yukon. I put ODI lock on grips, and some bar ends on, plus the rear rack and bag, but other than that it is stock. It suits me just fine for a beginner doing mostly XC ski trails and old rail beds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dirt Eater
    Mar 2004
    I have an '03 Yukon w/o discs. I think it is a great bike and the only problem I have had with it is about 6 flats in 2 weeks (Crappy Tioga tire). I ride mostly XC. From what I hear Giant is great for dealing with warranty work. Try bringing your bike to a different bike shop to have it tuned.

Matt

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    ive road my freinds multiple times and its an awesome bike for the money superlight ....i would love one for xc. Moutain biker magazine did a review on it and said that it was a great bike and that when the let it loose it stood up to some aggressive riding and light jumping. hmm im the crank keeps nedding to be tightened ask ure bike shop to use some lock tite on it.

bleeder

mine can take it

iv had my yukon about five and a half months and it has taken a hell of a beating and has not complained abuot it yet
    it has had to have some standard maintnance but noting out of the ordinary and ive crashed it pretty hard more times than i can count
    the trees are out to get you
    and the squirls are on their side