mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Giant XTC Team Frame

I am 5'11.5" tall. Will a 17" or 19" frame suit me? Which one will be better for my riding style--80% on road?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am almost exactly the same height (maybe a tad shorter) and rode a 19" XTC1 with a 100mm stem. I originally had a 120mm on there but felt too stretched out. I would enjoy the slightly lower standover of the 17" (I have short legs) but the 19" was better overall. I just got a 18.5" VT1 frame which also feels great, so I feel that confirms my earlier pick.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I tried the 17" one and noticed that the handling will be better in off road condition. But, for my riding style, I end up choosing a 19" one.
    Regarding the standover distance, I also feel it is not sufficient (just around 2.5") and hence I have to be careful in off-road condition. I am currently using a fork with 80mm travel and going to upgrade it. Sales in local bike shop strongly recommend their forks with 100mm (due to availablity, I guess), however, the standover distance will further be reduced if I change from 80mm fork to 100mm fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The bike I had before the XTC was too small for me, so I wanted to make sure that I could get enough of a stretched feeling without resorting to a long stem. When I put a 100mm fork on the XTC the standover was reduced, but not too bad. The benefits outweighed the drawbacks as far as I am concerned. Now I just need to get a longer fork for the VT...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I contacted Giant in Taiwan regarding my wife's 2004 XTC hardtail. They recommended (engineers via the corporate sales guy I spoke to) sticking with the 80mm and not going to 100mm as it would have a negative affect on the bike's handling regardless if you were riding on or off road. They built the bike, they would know.

XC rider/racer

Sizes

I`m 5` 11" and ride a 20.5 large frame VT.
    I couldve went with the medium 18.5 but just felt as if the cockpit was a bit cramped.
    Standover height on the 20.5 is fine.
    Cheers

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ohvina
    I am 5'11.5" tall. Will a 17" or 19" frame suit me? Which one will be better for my riding style--80% on road?
    I'm about that height too, and i ride a 21" Rainier (supposed to be just like XTC in terms of geometry). Maybe some would say that is too big, but i find it very comfortable.

mtbr member
    hi! Randie here from Manila, Philippines. I am also considering this beautiful frame, my height is 6'2" so meaning that my frame should be size L. My concern now is I weigh about 232lbs (104 kilos). would this frame be tough enough for me? thanks in advance!