Singletracker
    Jun 2005

Giant XTC 3..need info?

Well i'm looking at purchasing this bike. Its perfectly in my price range and i'm quite happy with the specs, especially the fork.

I ride cross country and trails, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how 'strong' this bike is? Like could it take rough bumps and fireroads and 3 foot jumps? Or is it more of a race bike and not designed to handle a bit of rough stuff.

I dont intent to use it jumping at all, but i mean i would like it to be able to handle rocks and that. Also does anyone have the weight of it?

Thanks so much!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    they are pretty tough. whilst it is not specifically designed as a jump bike, it should handle 3ft drop-offs ok. well, the frame will, but not sure about the wheels and other finishing kit.

how heavy are you?

it's marketed mostly as a recreational/XC bike. it will handle firetrail and singletrack very easily.

what are the specs for it - depends what country you are in? also note, the Aus-spec XTC3 has the heavier frame from Aluxxx 6061 aluminium. the XTC2 and above features Aluxxx SL 6013 which is lighter. the XTC3 is probably 13.5~14.0kg depending upon the components.

if drop-offs are your main game, i would look elsewhere or at least upgrade the wheels to something tougher (subject to what's on the bike now).

Last edited by shiny_car; 03-04-2006 at 02:33 AM.
    [size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

Singletracker
    Jun 2005
    Hi,

I really light, about 55kg (not sure of that in pounds). I'm in Australia, LX rear deraillure, Rock Shox Tora 318 Air, HFX9XC brakes...um Sun Ryno Light rims I think.

I dont intened for using it for jumping, but as long as it is strong enough to handle fire trails and that i'm really happy . And I like the frame! Limetime warrenty .

Do you know how much it weighs?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    ah, you're a local yocal.

it sounds fine for your needs. and in fact has the lighter ALUXX SL frameset like the higher models.

i've no good idea of weight, but i'd be guessing around 13kg. don't be too fussed about weight. it's a good bike from the looks of things. to go significantly lighter, expect to pay double.

[size=1]
    [/size]
    [/size]

Singletracker
    Jun 2005
    I am local, a 2 hour drive from you infact .

I basically have 3 bikes, Giant XTC3, Kona Caldera and Trek 6500, without being biased which would you say is the better for my needs? I'm mostly concerned about the strenght of those bikes, and the frame design. I think the XTC3 has a more 'race' frame design then those two others?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    on-spec they all look quite similar. but i'm not experienced with kona or trek bikes to comment on how they would compare.

do you actually have these bikes?

i suppose 'comfort and fit' are important factors that may differentiate them for you. try them out, take the time to set them up properly, and see if one feels better than the others.

[size=1]
    [/size]
    [/size]

Singletracker
    Jun 2005
    Well the Caldera is out of it. Its now in order of preference:

1. XTC3, or GT AValanch Expert (very nicley specced)
    2. 6500

I dont think i'll be going with the 6500 but i'll test ride it anyway. The GT is very nicely specced! X-9 rear deraillure, deore hydrolic, tora 80 - 130mm fork u-turn adjustT. However i'm concerned about weight.

Will check them out tommorow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    on something like the XTC3, the frame is light, but the components (eg: wheels) will weigh it down. however, for your style of riding, i think it would be fine.

will be interesting to see what you settle for.

[size=1]
    [/size]
    [/size]

Singletracker
    Jun 2005
    But at least the frame is light! The wheels and components can be upgraded to make it ligheter down the track. It woudl e very costly and messy to upgrade to a lighter frame.

I have never had such a tough decision! I dont want to make the wrong one, $1350AUD-$1450AUD is a lot of money!!!

Girt by sea.
    I've got the XtC3 '06 (Aussie spec). I'm 77kg and ride tracks which are pretty rough & rocky. The bike is beautifully balanced and is capable of much more than I am. I don't attempt 3' drops, though I sure it could handle them if I asked it to.

Since I bought it, I've added heavier tubes and tires, a Thudbuster seat post and a Hopey steering damper. The weight is not an issue for me because the bike just loves being thrown around.

Getting the XtC3 will not be a mistake.

Cheers,
    Graeme
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My photography web site: www.scenebyhird.com

Girt by sea.
    PS - I'll weigh mine some time this week.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Singletracker
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the reply Graeme! I've been wanting to hear that news . I'm only 55-60kg, so I guess thats a plus aswell. I've been told the head tube is differen't from the GT, and is better suited to turning at a low speed. I'm not fussed with 100mm or 130mm of travel...or am I? Well I dont think so, especially seeing the Giant has the 100mm with lockout and easier adjustment then the GT, which has the same fork (Tora), but is the 130mm version with no lockout.

Yeh if you could weight the bike Graeme that would be great!!

Thanks

Girt by sea.
    Just for the sake of closure, I weighed my bike (XtC3 Aussie spec, 19" frame). It's currently 14kg, although I suppose I've added 2kg in extras since I picked it up from the LBS. It would have weighed around 12kg when bought.

The extras I've added are a Thudbuster LT, Hopey steering damper, Geax Lobo Loco 2.35" tyres (replacing Hutchison Python Airlites), thorn-proof tubes, Slime, bar ends, bottle cage and a pump.

Cheers,
    Graeme

Singletracker
    Jun 2005
    I've ordered in the XTC3, i think its the best choice. Reasons in the 'Which bike to buy' forum. I should be riding it in the next couple of days. I got the 19" frame because its always safer to have growing room, and it fits me fine now.

Thanks for your help!