Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Giant XTC 2 upgrades need some advice

I've got a pretty new XTC 2 I bought a few months ago. I had a pretty major rear brake failure with the Avid Elixir 1's that came with it. On a pretty steep trail they failed and were only grabbing occasionally.
    It seems there was some contamination in the lines from the factory. When bled there was cheesy looking stuff in the fluid. Even after bleeding they want to replace them.
    Going that fast to the point of being out of control and not being able to stop like I wanted was something I do not want to ever experience again.

I'm glad I pulled it off with the front brake. Anyways...........XT's are on the way Avids are out.

What I'm needing advice on is what type of F&R derailleurs to buy? I currently have Alivio FD and shifters and Deore RD.

I have new XT M770 9 speed rapidshift shifters on the way.
    I see the XT RD-M772 Shadow for a 9 speed comes in GS and SGS. What's the difference?
    I need long cage. Is it available in black or only silver?

I'm also looking at the XT M771 9 spd dual pull traditional multi clamp FD.

Are these the right derailleurs for this bike or am I missing something? I'd like to get it right the first time.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2012
    70 views and no one has anything to say? I guess there's no XTC owners here who have upgraded the poor components that came on the bike. Tough crowd.

mtbr member
    I upgraded the Marzocchi fork for a Rock Shock SID 29, couldn't be happier. I Also replaced the original FSA crankset for a Shimano SLX.
    I would like to upgrade the wheels next. The stock one's are strong ...but heavy

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by excaliber View Post
    70 views and no one has anything to say? I guess there's no XTC owners here who have upgraded the poor components that came on the bike. Tough crowd.
    Buy a "0" or even a "1" right out of the box and you don't have to worry so much about poor components... It is usually cheaper in the long run....

I have upgraded my 2012 "1" with a new Wheel set....So far the Elixer 5s are fine but if they act up I will upgrade to XT brakes....Everything else is fine for XC riding here in Michigan...

Don't be so hard on the XTC component offering.....Just like anything else you get what you pay for with any bike, There should be no surprises when it is time to upgrade....

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I didn't think the additional 650.00 was worth the price of a better fork, Avid brake upgrade and X7-X9 Sram components on the 1 and the 0 was too much to even think about buying....... So I bought the XTC 2 knowing I was going to upgrade to XT components.
    That said, I just bought new XT brakes, XT Shifters and derailleurs and I now have barely 1700.00 into it. I think I made out pretty good all things considered.
    Last edited by excaliber; 07-14-2012 at 06:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The Only thing I have replaced on my XTC 2 was the rear derailleur with an SLX, not the best but I wanted to wait till the fall and get the XT Shadow drive when it comes out. The factory derailleur had so much chain slap it was driving me crazy with noise, SLX fixed that. I have also replaced the front tire as I find the Ralph to be very unstable and unpredictable in corners, even worse if it gets wet. AS for the rest I will replace when it brakes, fails or otherwise just stops working. I have been riding along time and over the years have noticed that some areas are worth spending money on were others are a complete waste of money.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I thought I'd post an update. Since swiching to XT shifters and XT F&R D's the bike shifts like butter. It's so smooth and clean. No more clunks and noise. I'm thinking that the biggest upgrade was going from Alivio shifters to XT.
    My new XT brakes are incredible. I had no idea how good they would be and now looking back I realize how horrible the Avid's were.

My Bike Rocks now.

Last edited by excaliber; 07-22-2012 at 11:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My 2011 XTC 2 is white. Sorry to hear about your brakes. My shimanos are working excellent. I looked into upgrading them, but saw very little benefit as weight was within 60g and mine work great. I don't love the components, but if I keep them adjusted they work pretty great. I chose to upgrade my rotating stuff first. I went tubeless, then a set of stan's arches and a XT cassette. It made a huge difference. Makes the bike feel alive. I also put a Easton XC70 Wide bar on that improved the ride pretty greatly as well. WTB Valcon seat for those long grinding days and I am done until I can afford a new fork. I like the Marzocchi, but heavy like lead. Engine upgrade is getting the most attention these days. I love my bike and am very pleased with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    The Only thing I have replaced on my XTC 2 was the rear derailleur with an SLX, not the best but I wanted to wait till the fall and get the XT Shadow drive when it comes out. The factory derailleur had so much chain slap it was driving me crazy with noise, SLX fixed that. I have also replaced the front tire as I find the Ralph to be very unstable and unpredictable in corners, even worse if it gets wet. AS for the rest I will replace when it brakes, fails or otherwise just stops working. I have been riding along time and over the years have noticed that some areas are worth spending money on were others are a complete waste of money.
    Good to know, I've only had mine a few months, but noticed the chain slap right away.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Mine makes a lot of racket from the chain slap as well. I really dig this bike though!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I picked up my XTC 1 on Wednesday. To me the extra $700 was worth it. Unless I break something, there is NO reason for me to replace any major components. If I become hardcore, I will just keep the XTC 1 and buy a nice FS bike for more advanced trails. The Elixir 5 brakes have not squeaked once over the 37 miles in the past 3 days.

Before I left the shop, I switched out the handlebars and the grips (Easton E70 Monkey Bar 40mm rise and ODI Rouge grips). Tomorrow I'm going to Jenson's and picking up a quick release seat collar and a chain stay protector. Next Tuesday my Selle SMP Plus will arrive, and at that point I'm done...with the exception of a few lights. The Giant seat sucks, and my a$$ hurts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    2011 XTC1 here. I found the cockpit to be good in terms of performance and weight. I did chop down the handle bars (about 0.5" off each side). Still plenty of width to handle the bike, but now I can thread the needle between trees on tight singletrack without worries.

Upgrades came in the form of:
    Stan's Crest laced to Hope Pro2 EVO
    Ashima Airotors
    Bontrager grips (hated the stock grips)
    Bling pieces: red anondized headset cap, red anondized seatpost clamp, red anondized lock-on rings.
    Maxxis Ikons (2.2), Maxxis Ardents (2.2) for Bontrager FR-3 (2.35), depending on trail conditions

mtbr member
    I'm in the market for some nice platform pedals, as the nylon welgos the bike shop put on are not cutting it. What are you all running?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

pedals

XTR Clipless only way to fly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    @excaliber, upgrade your cranks to XT as well. You'll notice the weight difference. Stock BBs are heavy!
    Last edited by chas326; 09-06-2012 at 12:21 AM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chas326 View Post
    @excaliber, upgrade your cranks to XT as well. You'll notice the weight difference. Stock BBs are heavy!
    That's my plan as soon as I can find a decent price on the M770 Crankset. I already have a new XT M770 cassette for it.
    I'm slowly upgrading when I find good deals.

An Arch Ex wheelset and a Reba are next

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Getting a set of stans on hope hubs made this winter and also a full XT upgrade for brakes and maybe shifters, looking at a RaceFace crank as well.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    XTR Clipless only way to fly.
    Yes Clipless! I second the notion

That is, if you can deal with the shame of slowly tipping over, panic'd look on your face, buddies laughing at you, while you desperately fail to unclip after coming to a stop the first few time you ride them...
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    Yes Clipless! I second the notion

That is, if you can deal with the shame of slowly tipping over, panic'd look on your face, buddies laughing at you, while you desperately fail to unclip after coming to a stop the first few time you ride them...
    Ahh yes the "SPuD' crash, I remember those sooo well. My worst one was down town in my local city on a Saturday ride, cut through down town hit a red light stopped PANIC OHH NOOO fall over in front of cars and about 60 people waiting at the lights

Best one ever, my friend and I got our pedals at the same time wayyy back in 93 Onza ones, (till this day I say the best ones ever made) anyways it was a fall ride and I have gotten used to mine and can clip out instantly, buddy is a little slower but in panic mode just falls over. We were doing a creek crossing and there was a floating log in the middle, I got over it and then it was bud's try. He stalled and then I could see the panic hit. the leg struggle the hip shift and then the fall over, ohhh he went completely under water, I never laughed so hard in my life. So wish I had a gopro back then, that was a priceless "SPuD' crash if ever there was one.

mtbr member
    Two years on mine and still love it. Mine came with shimano hydrolic brakes and havn't had an issue. Replaced the seat, easton seatpost, monkey lite carbon bars, ergo grips, thompson stem, XT chain and now runnining 1x9 12/36.

The Marz fork is bulletproof but a little heavy so I can undrstand your considering swapping. That and wheelset will be my next upgrades.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cw50must View Post
    I'm in the market for some nice platform pedals, as the nylon welgos the bike shop put on are not cutting it. What are you all running?
    Shimano DX PD-MX30. They were the only platform pedal I could find that had short pins as standard that wouldn't tear up my shoes. They come with a set of longer pins, if that's your thing. I got them cheap from Chain Reaction Cycles. I did want to get Saint pedals, but they were out of stock when I ordered, and now they're listed as a special order item.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cw50must View Post
    I'm looking at upgrading mine too. I can't believe how cheap the components and pedals are on a 1400.00 bike. Yesterday I was looking at the Wellgo MG-1 pedals on Ebay. I ordered a pair of Teva Links yesterday. We'll see how those shoes do before I order new pedals.
    Last edited by excaliber; 09-11-2012 at 02:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input guys. I did get some Wellgos, can't remember the model just off hand, hope to try them out soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Anyone know the bottom bracket size for a 2012 XTC? I'm looking to get a new crankest but i cant find out what size the bike is (170mm or 175mm?) I'd throw a caliper on it but with the bike assembled i can't get a measurement. Thanks!
    "Are you a girl? Keep that huge ass and deal with it. Are you a guy? Ride your bike more. You disgust me."

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The BB is a Shimano Press fit. I want to say 68 or 73mm. The crank arm length is 170 or 175mm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast