Thread: Giant XTC 2

mtbr member
    May 2008

Giant XTC 2

I have been looking for my first bike for a while now and narrowing down my choices. My first choice was a Trek 6000 but they were sold out across the country. I came across the XTC 2 and for the amount of tech you get for the price I paid (625$) it seems like a great bike. It was 100$ less than the Trek 6000 and I couldn't see any major differences. I ordered one in a 16in frame form my local bike shop a couple of days ago and am waiting for it to arrive. Anyone else riding this bike or have any input on it? Has there been any problems I should look out for?

_F_
    shama lama ding dong

Good job!

I just picked up an '08 XTC 2 on Saturday (5/31). I was looking at a Wahoo Disc or a Trek 4500. Happened across the XTC 2 on sale for the same price as the 4500 but it spec'd out better. So here I am in Giant country.

I put 25 XC miles on it this past weekend and it performed well. No mods and not a lot of seat time yet so no real impressions yet. This is my first GIANT bike. Hopefully you and I will have good things to say in the coming weeks and months.

Afric Pepperbird
    I still ride a 2003 XTC 2. Of course, back then, there were no Anthems or Trances. XTC was the top of the line for x/c. The XTC 2 was a tiny bit below the XTC. It cost me $1100 new. It still is a great hardtail, and the lightest bike I've ever seen.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I rode both and the XTC 2 seemed lighter, less expensive and had equal or better components. I believe Giant makes the frames for Trek, but the 6000 is made in China and the XTC in Taiwan (at least according to the sticker on the frames). I consider that a positive since Taiwan is a democratic republic and a US ally vs a communist dictatorship - but I digress, lol. Also the people at the LBS selling Giant were much more friendly than the 2 Trek Stores I visited. I ended up with a Cannondale F5 (also made in Taiwan), but it was a very tough call over the XTC 2.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I got mine on July 2nd.

Did an immediate switch out of the pedals to Sunline V three, and grips to race face good/evils. Than tacoed my front wheel. Currently waiting for Mavic 729 rims with Shimano XT hubs. Also switched out both tires to Panaracer XC Pros after the Kenda Blue (front tire) ran flat. That is the worse $50 tire on the market.

It will be a beast when I am done.

Best original speced bike under 700 hands down (except maybe the Gary Fisher Marlin Disc). I feel that I have changed out the weakest parts on this bike. Everything was pretty much cosmetic too except for the wheelsets.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I got mine a little over a month ago for $617. I definitely think it's a good value.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for all the replies. The bike is in and I am going to pick it up tomorrow, can't wait.

mtbr member
    I've got this bike as well 08 model, picked it up last month. I've been able to ride it quite a few times already and it's a great. Only things I've done to the bike is upgrade the brakes to 08 Avid BB7's, and put in some Slime into my tubes.

I'm sure you will definitely enjoy the bike, as much as the rest of us that have it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Well I took it out last night for the first time and had a lot of fun. My first time on a mountain bike and rode down at the local park on probably the easiest trails in PA (Pennypack). I didn't find them too easy though as it was my first time and I was getting use to switching gears and being back on a bike in general. The bike felt great and handled great, no problems at all with it. I can't wait till I get some more experience and venture to other places to really test the thing out. For now though I will keep it basic until I get in a little better shape and gain some experience. Thanks again for the help.