mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Giant XTC 1 29er weight?

Hey all,

So I have no way to get a weight on my bike and am just curious if anyone out there has one/knows what the stock bike comes in at? I know the carbon version xtc0 comes in the mid 24's (seems pretty heavy for a 3.5k bike). Also if anyone out there has tried to skim some weight where they did it most effectively/affordable? I'm wanting to do some endurance racing/bikepacking and any weight I can drop off the better.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Good question, I've been wondering this for the year that I've owned mine. I tried weighing mine standing up on a bathroom scale and it came in at 28 and change. I doubt this is right since I had to hold the brake to keep it from rolling.

Dropping weight depends on how much you want to spend. I went with new rims, hubs, cassette, and converted to tubless and lost some considerable weight compared to the stock set up. Reducing rotating mass is the number one bonus in weight reduction from what I've read here.

I know the stock crank on mine tips in at 900g and change, changing the crank drops some descent weight. Drivetrain components aslo add up. I've read changing the fork drops some nice weight. And then there's the seat post, stem and handlebars.
    Last edited by 28fiend; 04-23-2012 at 06:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Weigh yourself on a scale, then weigh yourself holding the bike. Subtract the 2 weights to get your bikes weight.
    I googled it and found " nearly 28 lbs"

mtbr member
    Huh, I know the frame comes in at 3.46 lbs, which is lighter than most of the other hardtail frames I've looked at. I'm sure most of the components are quite heavy compared to newer or the higher levels of Shimano or Sram.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The wheelset is a big factor in the higher weight

mtbr member
    The wheels are indeed very heavy, even on the xtc0. I got a xtc0 and put Mavic wheels on it and it weighs in at mid 22 pounds. The 1 has even heavier wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ha-evolution View Post
    The wheels are indeed very heavy, even on the xtc0. I got a xtc0 and put Mavic wheels on it and it weighs in at mid 22 pounds. The 1 has even heavier wheels.
    Yeah they are, just one of my tubless wheels/tires now weighs less than just a stock wheel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ok. For anyone that has an XTC 29er 1 size XL (or any size as a matter of fact), would you be able to measure your effective top tube length and compare it to the giant website to see if it matches up. I have a 2010 XTC 29er 1 and the giant website has the effective top tube length of 25" but I measure it at 23.5" which makes sense because I always feel like I sit too far forward and upward even with my seat almost as far back as it can go.

Thanks for the help.
    2010 Giant XTC 29er 1
    2009 Salsa Casseroll Fixed Gear
    2006 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    2005 Giant TCR 1

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for all the responses. Ya I had heard that the wheels are quite heavy but then I heard otherwise. Seems like a nice pair of ZTR Crest 29's may just be in works