Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Going for a ride......

Giant, what is in store for 06/07?

New Giant bikes are due to be released in a few months. Any word on what's coming? Will it be better than what's on offer now? Any improvements on the Trance?
    energetix

Just Ride
    New bikes? Are you saying 2007 models are already coming in? That would be very nice, but i doubt it. Giant only brought out their 06 models around Novemeber/December?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by energetix
    New Giant bikes are due to be released in a few months. Any word on what's coming? Will it be better than what's on offer now? Any improvements on the Trance?
    Info about 2007 bikes won't be out too soon. I would not expect any changes to the Maestro frames. It is a good design that was tweaked last year.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Going for a ride......
    I'm in Australia, and my Local Bike Shop said that they are getting new models in around May / June this year! Either they are just stringing me along (no idea why they would do that though) or it's just the Glory coming out - but they know I'm interested in the Trance 3 and they said that with Giant they release new models mid year and that in the past few years models have been better spec for same price as previous ones.

So perhaps the Aussies get new models earlier then everyone else? Either way I'm not allowed to buy a new bike untill at least June (original agreement was for Dec/Jan but I already sold my current bike he he he).

I'll keep you guys informed either way, very interested if there is any improvemitents for the Trance. At $AU2200 it's a good deal but my budget is $2000 plus a few accessories.

If you know wether it's the new line or just the Glory please let me know - I may be able to convince my Husband to get my bike sooner so I don't have to use his (slightly too big for me Specialized Hardrock that's hardly been used) anymore.

Cheers,

Kristina
    energetix

bi-winning
    So perhaps the Aussies get new models earlier then everyone else?
    It's actually quite the opposite. The 2007 AU frames will be like the 2006 US frames. Many pictures of those floating around here. Major differences come in the shock mount area.

Not sure why Giant choses to keep AU a year behind
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    my wife just brought home an 07 today. I guess some are out.

Going for a ride......
    Hi Fresh Meat,
    Any chance of a picture or any more details (perhaps a site where I can get the info from?).

rkj, with the Trances I haven't noticed any difference in the shock mounts, I'll have another look around the forums here. The differences you know of - are your models supposedly better than ours? Why?

Cheers,
    energetix

Going for a ride......
    Ok I see the difference - my thoughts are that the Aussie model would be better - shock seems more protected from hits - unless they come with those guards I've seen pictures of. The us frame may have more strength in it I guess.

What are your thoughts between the two designs?

The trance 3 on the us site:

And the Trance 3 that's currently here in Oz:

energetix

Going for a ride......
    energetix

Going for a ride......
    Our Trance 3 comes close to the US Trance 4 though when it comes to $$, in the above comparison I'm only asking abot frames not so much specs - thought I'd clear that up.
    energetix

Going for a ride......
    Been looking around yet a bit more and seems the majority of countries seem to have the same frame as Australia. So interesting to know wether they were released in the US before anywhere else? Could have been a test pilot on that frame and then they made improvements and came out with the 2nd design?
    energetix

Going for a ride......
    Me again, just saw that the 2005 models in US were the same as our current model (frame design) so you are quite correct in that just about everyone else seems to be behind. Question now is how good is this years frame (US) compared to laste years? And is it likely to be the go everywhere else this coming year?
    energetix

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hi Guys,

Short of asking Giant Australia on (03) 8541 4800, I don't think anyone will have a definitive answer on what the situation with frames and when the next model will be released into Australia :-)

Going for a ride......
    I have emailed them with the question, but alas no response.

Never underestimate the power of the grapevine!
    energetix

bi-winning
    Question now is how good is this years frame (US) compared to laste years?
    It seems to me that riders of both frame variations are very happy with their bikes.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Going for a ride......
    Been googling around and I have noticed as of recently more "floor stock" clearances on the Trance - and particularly the Reign are coming up now. So looks like there will be new Giant bikes here in Oz in a few months!
    Now for me the challenge will be weather I can wait & see what's coming or get a bargain on this years!
    energetix

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Don't get too excited, it's only an 07 sedona, where as I just ordered an 05 stp. The dealer said the only real change is that the frame tubes are more square rather than round. Not sure if this design change will carry over to other models.

Going for a ride......
    I'll see if I can find out more anyway - should get to the shop today hopefully.
    I guess it's always to a shops advantage if they tell you new ones are coming in (and if they know how keen you are on the present models) instill the feeling that you may miss out on current stock! But that's looking at it in a negative sort of way really - otherwise they could be hoping I'll like the new ones better and thus spend more $$?
    energetix

Going for a ride......
    Hokey dokey, this is for anyone that has been following this thread.....

Official word from Giant is that the new bikes released May/June this year here in Oz will be only the Recreational Models. The rest of us will have to wait untill much later this year.

I have no idea why the LBS wouldn't know this though? They even said something about not ordering anymore Trance's or Reigns in because they don't want to get stuck with them (and then have to discount them to sell them) when the new stuff comes - but I want to test ride one - not buying before I do & I'm sure most other people wouldn't either.
    energetix

MTB B'dos
    Hi Energetix, thought I might give you some peace of mind
    How good were the original Trance frames.... well I've had mine now just over 13 months (got it on valentines day '05, what a present to myself ) and have logged over 3,000 good miles on it (about 40-50% real off-road and 50-60% on our "fine" roads). I originally got the Trance3 as I'm a big guy and was told that the Trance2 would not be available in my size for a few more months and already had been waiting on getting abike for more than long enough and didn't fel like riding my old POS for another couple months.

I haven't abused my bike in any way (never hit any drops or jumps over max 2ft) I clean it often, especialy in the rainy season and keep it well lubed. I don't baby the bike however and enjoy riding the rough stuff and taking the roughest line, the fastest that I can. On the topic of the old v new design I am one who doesn't like the new '06 design w/ exposed shock, however specs on the bikes has improved for '06 and haven't read any complaints from owners of the new design bashing the crap out of them. Personally I'd stick the the old design and take the extra weight ( new design was done to help reduce weight by not using the CNC machined peace at the DT and ST joint and also supposedly 'cause people didn't like the look f it)

You guys will be getting the new frames after the US by about 6 months or more as will the rest of the world. Once you put some form of decent shock guard on there (heard the GIANT thing is really pretty, but just really a POS and breaks easy) you should be OK. Personally I don't huck often, but know of several areas on trails I really like that I do need to huck on and hit the DT were the new open design would expose the shock to possible damage. Also the open design allows for al the muck coming off the front wheel to get in there.

Since I have got the T3 I have done quite a few upgrades to it (some because of finding great deals , others from needing to) When I got the T3 it came w/ a RS Duke XC and the bushings were rocking within 2 weeks, so I sent it back for repair and purchased a RS REBA SL (absolutely lovely fork.) I've also upgraded the crankset (wasn't really impressed w/ the RF Ride XC cranks it came with and found the XT HT2's on sale for $179 US). Also changed the rear and front derailers to XT and the cassette to LX ( the SRAM PG950 is an anchor and I think was somewhat due for replacement after running a slightly stretched chain for a bit too long) Most recent upgrade I did was add on some real stopping power in the form of the HOPE Mono Mini's (couldn't find replacement pads for the OEM Hayes so1e's it came with, but they did last over 2,800 miles)

All in all super happy w/ my Trance and would buy it again.

Me again, just saw that the 2005 models in US were the same as our current model (frame design) so you are quite correct in that just about everyone else seems to be behind. Question now is how good is this years frame (US) compared to laste years? And is it likely to be the go everywhere else this coming year?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    As for the differences in frame style between the North American and non-NA frames, rumours were swirling last year that there was a patent 'issue' with the design of the Maestro linkage. That being said, I also read that Giant claimed that the company switched designs because it was cheaper to manufacture the newer design and that played a key role in the move away from the first year's ride.

The drama. Either way, I can't imagine you can go wrong with the Trance -- it's a really fun, solid frame. And for the record, I run an '05 Trance and, so far, it's been great. Not a fan of the Float R that came stock with the bike, but that'll be remedied soon.
    Support your local advocacy group: FVMBA!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    one other difference in the '05 and '06 US trance frames is the rear shock... the '05's design leaves the sides of the frame open by the rear shock... and the '06 they used solid sides instead of having a "hole" on each side of the frame... The white frame is the US '06 and the silver is the US '05... this is just one thing I noticed and my bike shop mentioned...

-David
    Attached Images Attached Images

Going for a ride......
    Thanks Capflya, I realized that after I found the pictures which I posted in one of the earlier posts in this thread.

The patent idea seems to make more sense because if it was cheaper to produce the second model's design then they would have done it everywhere and not just in the US?? And if it infact is cheaper then next year should see the US design spread a bit further afield. If it's an indication I did notice that the Glory has the similar design to the US Trance / Reign.

energetix

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    But the US glory has a fatter seat to accomedate our american butts

-David
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just Ride
    I defintaly think Giant should have done a better paint job on the Giant Glory for the Aussie one. Looks very dull and boring. I defintaly prefer the blue one over the black.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast