Thread: Giant Warranty

I'm a dog person

Giant Warranty

Has anyone made a warranty claim w/ Giant? How's their customer service and turnaround? I'm curious as I'm thinking of getting a new Anthem.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by emptybeer
    Has anyone made a warranty claim w/ Giant? How's their customer service and turnaround? I'm curious as I'm thinking of getting a new Anthem.

Thanks.
    Giant Canada was great with the warranty on my cracked AC. I was offered a new AC frame, free of charge, or a Reign frame for a fair crash replacement price. It took a bit longer than I'd hoped, but it was a result of something that was out of everyone's control (shipping strike).

mtbr member

Good job!

Thanks.
    The best in the biz. IMO

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by robot
    Giant Canada was great with the warranty on my cracked AC. I was offered a new AC frame, free of charge, or a Reign frame for a fair crash replacement price. It took a bit longer than I'd hoped, but it was a result of something that was out of everyone's control (shipping strike).
    summs it up pretty well.

Here is my experience...

Warranty Updade. NRS is here!
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    summs it up pretty well.

Here is my experience...

Warranty Updade. NRS is here!

Just so you know your old bike used a 30.8 seatpost the new frame takes a 30.9..

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by gambo2166
    Just so you know your old bike used a 30.8 seatpost the new frame takes a 30.9..
    The shim seems to be working fine, but if it is highly frowned upon, perhaps i should look into a new post... If not, I will leave it.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

I just let one RIP

Thanks.
    Cracked a Warp, received a new frame in just one week. Giant is great on warranty, and now they offer a lifetime warranty on all their frames, so don't even worry about it, just go for it!

mtbr member
    My experience

I snapped a NRS swing arm within a year of buying the bike and Giant replaced the whole frame. When the new front triangle cracked where the seat and top tube joins within about 9 months, they gave me a new front triangle.

When a small crack started to appear in the same place on the newer front triangle after about 12 months, they told me they were not convinced it was a crack and if it got any bigger they might warranty it. It was round about this time I decided I was sick of cracking frames and ditched the NRS. I made the switch over to cannondales where I have had no problems. Its not that I did anything silly on the bikes, I liked the NRS as a design but they just kept cracking.

Before I had problems with the last NRS frame, I also had a giant TCR road bike. I had a constant creaking in the seat tube I just could not get rid off. The rep from giant had a look at it, and told me there had been a manufacturing fault on the frame where a weld had not been finished off correctly and so they replaced that frame as well.

So in conclusion, I would say that Giant are very good at replacing there frames, I would say however that they do not make quality frames. I say this purely based on my experience and nobody else’s.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    So they have a lifetime warranty just like Trek? That´s been an issue for me but if they have maybe I´ll be buying an Anthem soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Giant actually makes treks and specialized for them. They are the largest bike manufacturer in the world and stand behind their products. My shop sells them and they are very dependable. As for that newcastle guy....I used to ride an nrs as well but they are a cross country RACE bike. They are not meant for drops and jumps AT ALL. So if you were doing any of that, even small ones....that's not what the bike was designed to handle. I used to jump mine....my rear wheel exploded, and i dented the down tube badly in a crash by kicked it with my shin haha. It's not meant for abuse, but don't hold that experience against giant and think cannondale is any better. Giant does build quality bikes, and they stand behind them too. Better luck next time I guess. BTW...if your a bigger guy, that's also tougher on the frame as I am a 220 monster haha, but even with the jumping I did on it, never cracked for me! Who knows!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted_B
    So they have a lifetime warranty just like Trek? That´s been an issue for me but if they have maybe I´ll be buying an Anthem soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Crack...crack...crack...crack...

Quote Originally Posted by bleebs
    My experience

I snapped a NRS swing arm within a year of buying the bike and Giant replaced the whole frame. When the new front triangle cracked where the seat and top tube joins within about 9 months, they gave me a new front triangle.

When a small crack started to appear in the same place on the newer front triangle after about 12 months, they told me they were not convinced it was a crack and if it got any bigger they might warranty it. It was round about this time I decided I was sick of cracking frames and ditched the NRS. I made the switch over to cannondales where I have had no problems. Its not that I did anything silly on the bikes, I liked the NRS as a design but they just kept cracking.

Before I had problems with the last NRS frame, I also had a giant TCR road bike. I had a constant creaking in the seat tube I just could not get rid off. The rep from giant had a look at it, and told me there had been a manufacturing fault on the frame where a weld had not been finished off correctly and so they replaced that frame as well.

So in conclusion, I would say that Giant are very good at replacing there frames, I would say however that they do not make quality frames. I say this purely based on my experience and nobody else’s.
    Wow. If I were you I would never ever have bought a Giant bike again! They would be out of business if it wasn't for their customer support.

No, honestly I'm looking for a new Giant as well. I got my ATX-860 for more than 8 years now and I want to replace it by a Giant Trance 2. Warranty is one of the issues I'm currently checking too. The ATX-860 frame is still going strong by the way. The only punishment the bike got are drop-offs I made that were about 2 feet to flat concrete. No cracks whatsoever. But I stopped doing the drops after I broke my carpal bone.

For Europe warranty on the Giant Trance is 5 years. Not lifetime as in the U.S.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=CupCrazynNJ]As for that newcastle guy....I used to ride an nrs as well but they are a cross country RACE bike. They are not meant for drops and jumps AT ALL. So if you were doing any of that, even small ones....that's not what the bike was designed to handle. [QUOTE]

And RACE is exactly what I did on it, don't underestimate the stress that racing can put on a bike. I'm no kid and was never in to jumps or drop off or any of that and like I said I liked the design but the FACT remains I've had 3 NRS frames crack/break. This was a couple of years ago before the new hydroforming and carbon designs, maybe there stronger.

I don't say this to antagonise people and as I said I make my comments on the quality of giant frames based on my experience and my experience alone. I know a lot of people with giant bikes and they have had no problems, but unfortunatly I have!