mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Giant VT2 demo bike

I was calling all my local Giant dealers to see who had an 04' VT2 and a shop 25 miles away did. They said "it's a demo bike from Giant so we can't sell it but you can ride it". I asked "What, around the parking lot or something?" and they said "No, I can take it for a few days and ride wherever I want, and it's free!" Gasp....choke.......cough......are you kidding me? How awesome is that of Giant to offer? I'm picking it up tomorrow at lunch and riding the favorite trail tomorrow night to see how it rides.

Just an FYI - you may want to contact some dealers in your area to see if they offer a similiar deal. I'm in Atlanta.

mtbr member

Good job! I'm calling tomorrow morning.............

Thanks for the tip. I will try my local dealer tomorrow.

Reviewer/Tester
    Hey Toup7...I can tell you that you will love it.
    I've only had mine a couple of days, and i'm kicking myself for not getting one sooner...

Awesome bike...makes me a better rider than I really am.

R.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    have fun!

XC rider/racer

Be prepared...

Quote Originally Posted by Toup7
    I was calling all my local Giant dealers to see who had an 04' VT2 and a shop 25 miles away did. They said "it's a demo bike from Giant so we can't sell it but you can ride it". I asked "What, around the parking lot or something?" and they said "No, I can take it for a few days and ride wherever I want, and it's free!" Gasp....choke.......cough......are you kidding me? How awesome is that of Giant to offer? I'm picking it up tomorrow at lunch and riding the favorite trail tomorrow night to see how it rides.

Just an FYI - you may want to contact some dealers in your area to see if they offer a similiar deal. I'm in Atlanta.
    After youve ridden the VT you`ll never want to give it back
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Well, I rode an 04' VT2 last night on the trails. That bike is Sweeeet. I love the way it descends on the rocky stuff. I also switched with a buddy on his 04' Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert and there's no comparison downhill. VT2 was so much more plush! It was even good going uphill! 2 things I didn't like: The Minute shock on the front doesn't have any hash marks to see what height you are at so if you find a setting you like there's no way to go back to it. The other is I felt as though I had to put a lot of weight on the front bars, thereby bending my waist when going up a steep hill. I should have lowered the front shock, but see #1. All in all it was a very comfortable bike. I weighed it and the bike came in at 30 1/3 pounds. (18.5" frame) It certainly didn't feel like a 30 Lb bike though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Good job! My Minute fork ...

The Minute fork on my 04 VT-2 has a knob on the top of the left fork leg that will give you the measurements from 90-120+. How accurate this is, I don't know. I do know that I usually keep the fork at around 105 (indicated) and it helps keep the front end down during climbs and I think it handles a bit crisper as well. I just leave it there unless I'm doing a large downhill. If you wanted to be exact about it you could probably take some time to accurately measure the travel, then mark the fork tube with a sharpy or something.
    I haven't weighed my VT, but just over 30 sounds about right. It doesn't FEEL that heavy going uphill though.

mtbr member
    My local Giant dealer has never seen a VT, they just suck!

Reviewer/Tester
    I had that same feeling of front end 'float' going up steep hills when I was testing and riding my VT-2, not helped by the fact that I had a non-standard shorter and higher-rise stem fitted on the bike.

However, I did not change the front shock setting on the minute forks. I should have dialed it 'down' a bit. I have since tried this and it works very well.

I weighed my bike and it came in at 30lbs. I have lightened that a bit now, but for a bike around that weight, it 'feels' nice and light to me on the trails, and I don't notice the weight when climbing.

She [the bike] drew first blood recently on a very technical and tight track i was riding, i copped the very gnarly platform pedal studs right across my instep in a pile of rocks i was trying to negotiate.

Geez, it hurt....lol

R

Combat Wombat

I run my Psylo at about 105mm.

Quote Originally Posted by CraterMaker
    The Minute fork on my 04 VT-2 has a knob on the top of the left fork leg that will give you the measurements from 90-120+. How accurate this is, I don't know. I do know that I usually keep the fork at around 105 (indicated) and it helps keep the front end down during climbs and I think it handles a bit crisper as well. I just leave it there unless I'm doing a large downhill. If you wanted to be exact about it you could probably take some time to accurately measure the travel, then mark the fork tube with a sharpy or something.
    I haven't weighed my VT, but just over 30 sounds about right. It doesn't FEEL that heavy going uphill though.
    I have a 16" 2003 VT-1 and I set the back at 5" and the front at 105mm. The thing climbs like a goat. I was also surprised at how quick the steering is at this setting. I found that I prefer not to mess with the travel adjustment of the fork because of the way it changes the steering. I weighed my bike at the shop and it went 30 pounds on the nose. I have changed the stem out for a Thomson 110 X 5 and replaced the stock Titec seatpost with a Thomson setback. I really do not think this made any significant changes to the overall weight. Also trashed those crappy grips with some ODI Lock-ons. I plan to eventually replace the saddle with something firmer when I get some extra cash.

Brian

Reviewer/Tester
    I just changed the stock saddle on mine to a WTB Laser V Stealth...VERY light saddle and much firmer than the Rocket V.

R.

XC rider/racer

Australian VT`s

Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    My local Giant dealer has never seen a VT, they just suck!
    I think thats becoming more and more common in many bikeshops here, theres very few VT`s left on shelves as stocks have started to dwindle.

mtbr member

Pennsylvania Giant Demo

My LBS let me know of a Mt. Bike Festival in Jim Thorpe, PA. June 18th,19th, and 20th and Giant will take part. The shop also expects to get a VT demo of their own prior to the festival. The VT's are not as popular here in NorthEast PA. as it seems they are in Australia. Even though I have just bought a new VT 2, will probably attend the festival.

bike junkie
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    After youve ridden the VT you`ll never want to give it back
    Cheers
    Agreed, if you set up the shocks correctly and ride your trails-you'll buy it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I was wrong about the Minute fork, there is a display on the upper left leg that shows what mm setting it is currently at. I saw the dial, I just didn't know how to use it.

Now all I have to do is decide between the VT2 or Yeti 575. The 575 felt tighter whereas the VT felt more plush going down rough hills. I ride mostly XC. About $200 more for the Yeti.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Tough Choice

I've had my 04 VT-2 for around 6 months. I've had a lot of higher end frames before (Santa Cruz, Ellsworth, Hammerhead), but every time I ride the VT I still think that it really is one of the nicer bikes I've ever had (even though some of the others have cost twice as much). Went for a nice long ride on the 575 at Sea Otter, and while I liked the X-5 more, it's truly one nice bike. As you said, a bit stiffer than the VT, more of a XC feel and maybe better looking (if that means anything to you). I rode one of the upper end 575's and I'm not sure that the lower end one would weigh that much less than the VT. I know I'm in the minority, but I think I would take the adjustable Minute 1 over the Fox Vanilla (I've owned both). If the 575 came with the 5th element air shock I would be concerned, but besides that you should have years of great service from either bike. I do think that (at least in SoCal) Giant is known for bending over backwards to make their customers happy.
    If neither bike is screaming at you to get it (or at least whispering in your ear) which bike shop do you like the most? Which color do you like? Maybe it's time to flip a coin!