Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Giant VT-2

Reviewer/Tester

Giant VT-2

G'day..

Anyone heard any bad things about the 2004 Giant VT-2's that i should know about before buying one?

R.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm actually looking at the 04, (much better then 03), a Specialized Enduro, and Gary Fisher Cake II DLX. The VT seems to be speced much better and everyone I've talked with loves them, but no Giant dealers around here have one to test ride.

Good luck and I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

mtbr member
    To my understanding the frame is the same but I can be wrong. Giant shaved some weight by putting better and lighter components and replaced the Swinger 4-way with a 3-way in order to solve the seatpost lenght issue that the '03 had.

I ride a '03 VT2 and love it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Good job! Really nice everyday trail bike

I've had my 04 VT-2 for about 6 months now. From what the Giant rep tells me, the VT frames were changed a lot for 04, seat angle is not as relaxed and the rear linkage has been strengthened (although you're still not going to mistake it for a quad bearing Ventana X-5!). The suspension works well, handling is great, bike pedals great and the bike climbs much better than a bike that weighs almost 30 pounds should. There's almost nothing on the bike that NEEDS upgrading, although I'm now using Crossmax XL's. I just got back from Sea Otter where I demo'd a bunch of different bikes (Yeti 575, Tomac ELI, Ventana El Salty and X5). All great bikes (especially the X5), but considering most of them were about double the cost of my VT I was pretty happy with the choice of my Giant. One other thing, Giant really stands behind their products and if you do have any problems with it they will do whatever it takes to make you happy. For the type of bike it is (5-6" trail bike) and for the price (~$1800) it's very hard to top.

XC rider/racer

Great Value

The Giant VT`s are IMHO one of the best value for money trail bikes available at the moment.
    Like I`ve said in posts before, the only "weakness" (minor as it is) in my opinion is the seat post shim, and this is easily overcome by fitting a Thomson post.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i agree, the giant vt is a very good value bike, its a great bike for just having fun in pretty much any conditions or you can lighten the bike a bit or just leave it stock and still do a little racing with it too!

Reviewer/Tester
    Thanks for the info..

I'm pretty sure that the '04 VT-2 is very good value for the money, and apart from the seat post shim and the tires, both of which i plan to have changed in the shop before taking the bike, it should be just what I need for the local tracks I ride on.

I am also very tempted to get the VT-1, but as I don't plan to race, I think it's a waste of money for me even though I am stoked in those wheels on the VT-1.

I guess it would make a good upgrade path for the #2 model sometime in the future..

I've read just about everything I can find on both models, and it seems that everyone likes them, so I think iI will go ahead and get one next week.

R.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Good job!

Rainman, Four quick things.
    1) I believe that Giant uses the shim on the VT to strengthen the seat tube area. A 30.8 will fit, but it might jeopardize your warranty. You should ask your dealer before you swap it out. The shim really isn't that big of a hassle.
    2) A lot of people complain about the tires, but actually I kind of liked them. I live in SoCal and they actually work pretty well out here. I'm also about 215-220, and I use around 46 lbs. of air and never had a pinch flat in almost 6 months.
    3) The VT-1 is very sweet, but I doubt you will notice THAT much difference. I upgraded to Crossmax XL's and I like them, but it's not like I'm climbing twice as fast. The UST will give you additional traction on loose climbs.
    4) See what kind of expertise your LBS has with Hayes disks. I like Hayes, but IMO they can be a bit temperamental.
    Best of luck with the new bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Re: VT Frame change for 04

I am not sure where the frame change in geometry comes from that was addressed earlier in this thread. I looked at the 04 specs and they are the exact same as the 03. Can somebody tell me if I missed something here?

Reviewer/Tester
    Thanks CraterMaker..

On the MTB Product reports under 2004 Full Suspension bikes I read that the tires and seatpost / shim setup sux, that is why I was gonna swap them over to decent parts.

Here in Oz where I ride it is mostly tight technical singletrack and fireroads stuff, usually dry dusty conditions, so I was concerned about the tires ability to hang on.

Even though I like the VTS-1, I will go for the 2 model because I can't really justify the extra cash and I don't plan to race, just recreational riding, mostly.

Appreciate your additional input, thanks mate.

R.

mtbr member

New question here. I too am trying to decide between the VT2 and VT1

Rainman, Please let us know how you like it once you buy it. Any VT1 riders out there with some thoughts on how they like their VT1's? Thanks

Reviewer/Tester
    Jeff, I test rode both VT's and really liked the 'feel' of them, although that was only on footpath/road/steps, etc.. and not in the rough.

I noticed that they both bobbed quite badly in out-of-the-saddle steep uphill sprints, but I put that down to a lack of shock-tuning by the LBS before I test-rode them.

[ I hope that the VT doesn't pogo that badly after it is tuned in properly.]

Actual shock action both up and down stairs/steps seemed good, quite smooth, and normal on-the-seat pedalling was really nice.

I tried both the small and medium frame sizes... very little standover difference but quite a bit of cockpit room between the two, and the medium size frame felt 'softer' to ride somehow, probably because of the slightly increased wheelbase and top-tube length.

The 'feel' between the VT-1 and the VT-2 wasn't that noticeable overall to me, but the #1 did feel a bit more 'the bizness'. If I was a racer, I would definitely go for the VT-1.

Here in Oz, the price difference is about $1300 between the #1 and the #2.

I'm still not 100% decided between the frame sizes and models, but i'm leaning towards the small frame in a VT-2 model right now.

I'll definitely let you all know what I decide and how it goes after I get one next week.

R.
    Last edited by Rainman; 04-25-2004 at 04:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

VT Geometry and 'Bob'

Giant hasn't changed their website to indicate the geometry changes, but if you give them a call they will fill you in. I don't remember the exact change in the ST angle, but I think they said it went from around 72 to 73.5.
    Any shock, even the SPV on the VT, can be overwhelmed by out of the saddle aggressive pedaling. You can control this by how aggressive you pedal and by how much air you put in the SPV chamber. The higher the pressure the stiffer and more resistant to 'Bob' it will be, but you will lose small bump compliance. You should be able to reach a happy medium with trial and error!

XC rider/racer

SPV Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by CraterMaker
    Giant hasn't changed their website to indicate the geometry changes, but if you give them a call they will fill you in. I don't remember the exact change in the ST angle, but I think they said it went from around 72 to 73.5.
    Any shock, even the SPV on the VT, can be overwhelmed by out of the saddle aggressive pedaling. You can control this by how aggressive you pedal and by how much air you put in the SPV chamber. The higher the pressure the stiffer and more resistant to 'Bob' it will be, but you will lose small bump compliance. You should be able to reach a happy medium with trial and error!
    I agree wholeheartedly with Craterman, if you get out of the saddle and mash the pedals you`ll certainly overwhelm the SPV and begin to bob, stay seated and its very hard to get any bob happening at all.
    It really becomes a case of setting up the SPV to find a setting that suits you, I`ve found changes as small as 10psi can be felt in the ride.
    Cheers

XC rider/racer

VT`s in Oz

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    Jeff, I test rode both VT's and really liked the 'feel' of them, although that was only on footpath/road/steps, etc.. and not in the rough.

[ I hope that the VT doesn't pogo that badly after it is tuned in properly.]

Here in Oz, the price difference is about $1300 between the #1 and the #2.

I'm still not 100% decided between the frame sizes and models, but i'm leaning towards the small frame in a VT-2 model right now.

R.
    I certainly noticed a big difference in cockpit when i tried both the medium and large frames....i felt very cramped in the medium, but the large is perfect.
    Once you setup the shock to your desired riding style, you`ll find bob is minimal although not totally eradicated if you stand up and mash.
    Apparently VT availability is becoming a real issue here in Australia....my LBS had to bring a VT1 in from Perth to meet an order.

Reviewer/Tester
    I understand about 'mashing the pedals', as i come from a hardtail background.. where pushing aggressively and standing doesn't have the same penalties as a softail.

However, I must admit I was testing for pogo, and gave it heaps of 'mash' to feel what the worst-case scenario would be like...and truthfully, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be... i've felt worse..

I could live with it if I had to, but as its possible to tune most of it out with the bike setup and less aggressive spinning, I reckon I will be ok. I normally have my butt planted on the seat most of the time anyway.

One point tho.. I read about the problems that have occured with the wheels on the VT-1... the SL's...with spokes tearing out and breaking...etc.

It sorta put me off a bit..as I was considering the VT-1 pretty seriously for a while as I like those wheels that come as standard equipment on it..

I am aware of the growing shortage of the VT's in Oz, as I had problems arranging the test rides...the Giant VT's are apparently very popular this year here. For this reason I was in a bit of a hurry to get one before they all go.

I guess that I had better be ready and waiting at the door of the LBS with my money next week, so I don't miss out.

R.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Bob and the Crossmax SL wheels

Rainman,
    If you are going to be doing most of your riding sitting I doubt you would notice any 'bob' on the VT. I'm around 220 and I don't notice, or see it, and the bike climbs great. After having the bike for 6 months now when I get out of the saddle I find that moving less with my upper body seems to help limit the 'bob' from the fork. Even with a more aggressive form you will get more "bob' from the fork than the rear shock. I didn't think that the SPV fork was doing that much until I rode several bikes with a FOX Talas fork on them.
    I find it funny with the Crossmax's. There are several people that respond negatively immediately whenever someone asks a question about them. Their reasoning seems to be that ANY handbuilt wheel will be WAY better and easier to fix than the Crossmax's. Well, that's assuming that the handbuilt wheel is going to be built by a top notch craftsman and not some kid at a bikeshop that just got hired 30 minutes before doing your wheels. The spokes are more expensive, but MOST shops here in SoCal carry them and can repair them quite easily. Ask your shop about them and if something happens what will they do to repair them. Also, ask them what their experience has been. For what it's worth, the ONLY wheels that I have had so many problems with that I had to send back were a pair of road wheels I bought from Dave Thomas at Speeddream wheels. Great guy who I'm sure most of his wheels work out nicely, but it didn't for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    So Cratermaker, you find the Minute 1 SPV is actually more efficient then the Talas? What about ride characteristics, which do you like better for all around fork?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Minute vs. Talas

Quote Originally Posted by Toup7
    So Cratermaker, you find the Minute 1 SPV is actually more efficient then the Talas? What about ride characteristics, which do you like better for all around fork?
    Actually I was just referring to the anti-bob characteristics of the Minute vs. the Talas. I think the Talas is smoother than the Minute and has better small bump compliance. I like that the Minute doesn't take as long to change travel, bobs less and might be a tad stiffer on big hits. I think they're both great forks.

mtbr member

Good job! Sharing Great Information Re:VT1 and VT2

R and others....Thanks for continuing to share your experiences with the VT1 and VT2. This thread is heating up. My guess there are many out there considering the VT's this spring. Still have not seen one out on the trail here in Eastern Pennsylvania. Went to Blue Marsh Creek today and saw plenty of NRS's and BLUR's but no VT's. I rode a friends 1998 Cannondale Super Raven 1000, really liked it.......old design I guess but still works very well.

Reviewer/Tester
    Here in Oz, the fork on the VT-1 is a Psylo and the VT-2 is the Minute.

Dunno whether it is the same there in USA..

R.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

How much do you weigh?

R.
    Rainman, The VT1 and VT2 in the states come with the Minute 1. Sounds like your version of the VT1 is a bit more XC. I never thought the Psylo was a good fork for a heavier rider and I don't think that it has SPV so the Minute might be a better match for the rear end. Sounds like the VT2 might be the way to go!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

R.
    thats wierd, i think the minute is a much better fork, but then again, i guess it depends on what type of riding your more oriented towards but for the VT, i think the minute is a perfect fork in terms of adjustability and spv among other things. I would have gotten a VT2 for sure if i lived in oz.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    i am considering the VT3...

any feedback?

my budget is already stretched with this one.... but what do i lose out on compared to the 2?

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by wotzapollohimalaya
    i am considering the VT3...

any feedback?

my budget is already stretched with this one.... but what do i lose out on compared to the 2?
    Depending if your store has a VT3 in stock already in your size then I doubt you will be able to get one for a while
    It is certainly a great bike, and very very very good value.
    Basicly you get a bit lower on everthing besides, the handlebars, stem, seatpost, saddle, frame, rear shock, BB, Headset, grips, think thats bout it
    My dad actually wants one but he might have ot wait till september ofr the first shipment of the 2005's! I'm gonna be really pissed off with Giant Australia if they don't meet the demands again, it seems like ALL the giant bikes are sold out! Well not all, but alot of them, the whole VT range, the yukon, just to name a few.
    I doubt you will find a better value bike in the price range.
    BTW you can find a cheap price for the VT3 here....
    www.phantomcycles.com.au
    and here...
    www.freedommachine.com.au
    Soooo let your LBS know about the price and they should match it

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast