WWYD?

Giant is very, very good to me...

...don't be jealous but here goes.

Here's my new VT1, I got the frame when my NRS cracked on the seatpost by the toptube. The rep and bikeshop upgraded my frame to the VT1 for only $150! with the Swinger shock. I don't think you can even buy a Swinger for that amount. I quickly swapped out the seatpost for a Ritchey 30.9mm. I just don't understand this shim business unless they bought a boatload of those 27.2 posts

This is a great bike, I have the Swinger settings at 185 lbs in the main and 155 lbs in the SPV (I weigh 220 lbs). It is so plush that the little stuff is just erased by the shock.

The rep was great, I don't remember his name but THANK YOU GIANT! I got the bike back in two weeks. That is just incredible turnaround time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

[paste title here]
    Sweet bike!! Looks like Giant cs has been good to you. Actually Giant cs is always great!! Have fun on your new ride. I bet its a huge difference from your NRS.
    Keep Pedaling

mtbr member
    was there a weight penatly? which model NRS did you have? Any riding impressions between the two VT and NRS? thanks

mtbr member
    Giant rocks!

Giant warrantied a cracked (seat tube where shock mounts) 2001 NRS-1 with a 2002 NRS-1.

Giant then warrantied the 2002 NRS-1 with a 2003 VT-1 due to endless ghost shifting. I sold it on E-Bay and used the parts to build up a bike for my son.

THEN I broke my 2002 AC Air Lite at the seat tube...giant warrantied it with a 2003 AC-1 with a coil over Swinger Four Way!

Giant Rocks!
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

WWYD?

VT is around 31 pounds or so...

Oh yeah there is a weight penalty of about five pounds. I'm still adjusting my shifting because I need to grab a lower gear on the steep stuff.

I had a 03 NRS3 with only 1500 miles on it before it broke, but I have to say that the VT handles so much better than the NRS, while the NRS climbed better, like my old Stumpjumper HT. Also I never liked the SID much, there was no rebound control and I had a problem with the bushings early on. The NRS is not for big guys who ride regularly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Giant replaced my broken Warp with an NRS-3 because they run out of Warp stock.

I can't sleep anymore because I'm afraid my luck will run out one day. But there's one thing I don't have to worry about. If something goes wrong with my bike Giant will take care of it!

mtbr member
    May 2004

My NRS

My 03 NRS2 has a faded paint area at the seat tube at the same place that johnnyb found his crack. I was concerned that this was a stress spot of matbe too much flex in the area to cause the fade. The discoloration is like when you bend a piece of plastic and the color gets really light. I went to the LBS to inform them but they said that it is the anodization of the paint. They said that it is totally normal for the paint to lose its color and soon enough the whole bike will be the same color. There really isn't too much that I can do at this point but take his word on it. I'll just keep riding it and examine it for any cracks. It is good to hear that Giant Customer Service is awesome. I almost can't wait for the crack to appear (if it will even appear) to possibly upgrade to the VT.

Johnnyb, was the VT the only option for upgrade? I was just wondering if the AC was available as well.

Thanks for giving us your feedback on your new ride.

BTW...I am jealous!!!

WWYD?

The VT was a request from me...

"Johnnyb, was the VT the only option for upgrade? I was just wondering if the AC was available as well."

...I had always thought that the NRS was a little too thin-walled for me. The LBS salesperson even joked about how you can flex the toptube in the middle if you squeezes it.

I weigh 220 pounds and I've broken aluminum hardtails before (Rockhopper and a Performance) and I was a bit wary of the thin tubes, but I bought into it anyways. So when the NRS broke I immediately asked about an upgrade and the same salesperson said that the VT is much stronger and would be a great bike for big guys. The Giant rep even said it would be an excellent oppourtunity to upgrade, so I'm assuming that they (Giant) will listen to you and work it out. I'm really happy with Giant and the VT. I've been on about 10 rides on it now and have got the Swinger nearly dialed in (Less than your body weight in the main and about 60% in the SPV) and it rides scary fast downhill. With my body weight the shear physics tells me I'm at my limit though and I've got to keep my seatpost LOWERED!

I didn't ask for the AC, I think thats a little heavier than the VT. Mine weighs with a Fox Float at 32 pounds mostly stock.

But I think there is something to the seatpost problem. I have put in the 30.9mm seatpost with no probs, just make sure some of the seatpost sticks out of the bottom hole. On the NRS I had the original seatpost with shim on for about four winter months of 1,200 miles of riding and it would squeak after several hours of riding. This never happened with my hardtails. I would grease it and go on without thinking why it was squeaking. I posted my originating message with photos of the crack here: AARGH! Look at this! Shim alert!

Maybe Giant wants to play nice because of a design flaw?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I broke my last bike near the seat tube as well. My last bike was a 01 GT idrive with that infamous frame problem. I only weigh 160 lbs but I do ride pretty aggressive. I bought the NRS because GT had a huge backorder on the frame. My LBS gave me a credit for what the frame was worth and I was able to put it towards another bike. I thought that I would be more of a XC racer when I bought the NRS but quickly realized that I'm more of an aggressive trail rider or all mountain type of riding
    The VT, I think, would make more sense for me. I really should be on an all mountain type bike. Although the extra travel on the AC does sound really nice. The built up VT weighs 32 pounds... was that with the parts from the NRS?

I rode my buddy's Jamis Dakar XLT today and that thing was sooo plush. It really rides much nicer than my NRS. How does the VT handle the small bumps and big bumps? How is the acceleration and cornering on it?

Thanks for any feedback.

WWYD?

I'm still loving my VT...

Quote Originally Posted by gmatic
    I broke my last bike near the seat tube as well. My last bike was a 01 GT idrive with that infamous frame problem. I only weigh 160 lbs but I do ride pretty aggressive. I bought the NRS because GT had a huge backorder on the frame. My LBS gave me a credit for what the frame was worth and I was able to put it towards another bike. I thought that I would be more of a XC racer when I bought the NRS but quickly realized that I'm more of an aggressive trail rider or all mountain type of riding
    The VT, I think, would make more sense for me. I really should be on an all mountain type bike. Although the extra travel on the AC does sound really nice. The built up VT weighs 32 pounds... was that with the parts from the NRS?

I rode my buddy's Jamis Dakar XLT today and that thing was sooo plush. It really rides much nicer than my NRS. How does the VT handle the small bumps and big bumps? How is the acceleration and cornering on it?

Thanks for any feedback.
    The parts were from the NRS with the exception of the seatpost. The frame is heavier because it is stouter--the frame when you "ping" it sounds much more solid than the NRS. My reason to get the NRS was the outside chance to race in the Sea Otter and other races in CA. But since I'm an old fart (44) with kids, I've got better things to do than have my life revolve around a race. The bike is plush and extremely tunable you can set it up like a marshmallow or almost like the NRS. The small bumps disappear, you can barely feel them and the big bumps are easily manageable. I don't jump or do big drops (less than two feet) but I'm totally confident on the VT. The acceleration is so-so because of the rear shock, you really have to keep it in a slightly lower gear so that you have lots of rpm versus pure hammer to keep it from bobbing. But if you plan for the shifting you won't have a problem. The cornering is very good and as usual there is a little frame movement with rear braking.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for your feedback. The VT sounds like an awesome ride. Now I just have to wait and see what happens with my frame. It's just good to hear that Giant has great customer service

Good Luck with your VT and happy riding.