mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Giant trance x4 shock replacement questions

My 2012 x4 came with a giant air-r
    I have upgrading eveything on it and am getting a new fox fork in the mail tomorrow. I plan to ride the stock shock until it blows or if i happen to come across some extra cash. Some friends told me that shocks are made bike specific and not getting the right one can throw off the feel.

How do you know what to look for with a shock replacement?
    I also read that the trance x i2i is not a common length.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You need a 184mm x 44mm rear shock, like you, i have a 2012 trance x4, mine now has 2012 fox float 32 140mm kashima rlc ect ect forks, the rear shock is fine for me so far but i will be upgrading to a rp23 soon. you can get them the correct length but need to be specially ordered in most cases, speak to any fox dealer and they should be able to tell you that they can supply one for 379

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Fox Float RP23 Boost Valve - 972-90-113 (RP-23) available to order here, another option is to go with the monarch, but id prefer fox front and rear

mtbr member
    Your friends have certain degree of reason. Especially with Fox shocks since they have, imho, way too much configuration characteristics that do influence how they behave and therefore how the bike behaves. RockShox on the other hand seems to be a bit better on that department allowing the user to to be able to personally custom some parameters with far more ease, but I lack personal experience about that!

If I recall correctly , aftermarket Fox shocks normally come with their characteristics set at medium setting. You may try to discover what settings does a Trance bring from factory for the specific shock you'll be buying. But from what I've seen even then there are some discrepancies between different world zones. Since trying out a bunch of shocks with different tunes is almost impossible for a regular Joe getting a medium set shock would be the best bet and then after having some experience with it, if needed custom tune it to your personal liking.

I'm riding an Anthem X and I'm undergoing that process right now. Changed the factory Float R for a RP23. Not quite happy with it's behavior. Got a high volume air sleeve recently and I'm going to see how it behaves. If needed tune the compression ratio with air spacers until I find the best correlation between sag/feel and travel use.

Compression tune seems to be nice as it is. I haven't still decided about rebound tune. Since switching the air sleeve will have influence I'll have to wait. The same for the Boost Valve. But from what I've read, and since the ProPedal has noticeable platforms for the different settings I reckon I won't have to re-tune that.

What bugs me is that to tune the Boost Valve and alike the shock has to be sent in. Not that RockShock shocks shouldn't but at least those guys offer/disclose a lot more information on how their stuff works and how to service it. This is why, plus the lower cost, I'm currently pending to chose their products if I had to trade stuff right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Looking at prices I would probably go with the monarch rt3. I see some on eBay sub $300 which is what I had in mind.

How big of an improvement would the monarch be compared to the stock giant house shock?

I read somewhere that the giant air-r shock is made by fox.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    The Monarch is a way, way better shock than the stock crapper, and IMO, better than the RP23 as well. I didn't even bother to ride the stock shock before swapping on the RT3 (since I'd ordered it ahead of time) The stocker is in the parts bin just to have around as a spare.

7.25 x 1.75, as noted above.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What's the difference between low tune and mid tune ? I also don't understand when people say they replaced can sizes or.volume? What does it all mean and what would I need for the trance? I weight 220 if that has anything to do with it.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Also do those dimensions for i2i x stroke make it 5" travel or do you have to specify travel when purchasing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    What's the difference between low tune and mid tune ? I also don't understand when people say they replaced can sizes or.volume? What does it all mean and what would I need for the trance? I weight 220 if that has anything to do with it.
    low and mid refers to the valving range - it is generally based on the leverage ratio of the bike it is being installed on. the Tx has a 2.86:1 leverage ratio, but i'm not sure what SRAM recommends - probably mid. can size/volume refers to the volume of the air can, for lighter riders having issues getting full travel a larger air can can help. at your weight the standard air can is the way to go.

Also do those dimensions for i2i x stroke make it 5" travel or do you have to specify travel when purchasing?
    that is the correct (stock) i2i x stroke for the Tx and will yield 5" of travel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I called sram and asked questions about the low/mid valving and which should I buy for the trance but he told me I should call giant. Can't find a contact number for them. Any leads?

mtbr member
    I called sram and asked questions about the low/mid valving and which should I buy for the trance but he told me I should call giant. Can't find a contact number for them. Any leads?
    you could try 1 800 US GIANT and see if someone there can help.
    you could also call PUSH. they aren't building them anymore but their opinion on the stock shocks would be worth getting.

FWIW:
    "Offered in High/Med/Low compression tunes for differing leverage ratio frame designs: High for 2.8+ ratio, Medium for 2.4-2.8 ratio, and Low for <2.4 ratio (leverage ratio = wheel/frame travel divided by shock travel/stroke). If in doubt or on the cusp, use a medium-rate shock since it has the widest range of damping adjustment"

mtbr member
    Good luck with that. I've been there with my Anthem and after trying to contact several Giant offices, only got an answer from one and it wasn't what I was expecting. Instead of simply letting me know what tunes they use for the shocks assembled at the Anthem frame they advised, even gave me contacts, to look for custom suspension tuning shops.

Sram can't be much of help because they don't work with the frames. Your Trance having 127mm of travel and 50.8mm of stroke puts it with a 2.5 leverage ratio. Take a look at this PDF.

http://www.bike-components.de/downlo...rage_ratio.pdf

According to it your bike would be fit to take a medium/low high tuned shock. Since there aren't low high tunes and you're a bit on the heavy side I'd reckon a medium tune shock would work. Unfortunately once again no one can vouch for your personal taste afterwards. You may end up looking for a more or less plushier ride and for instance that may be the case where you prefer a normal or a high volume can (I'm not sure if RockShox has them both for that size of shock or only offers one, but you can check it out!). Or if you're that kind of guy that likes to fiddle with stuff to the ultimate level, you may end up preferring a different rebound or compression tune.

Starting with a medium wouldn't be that much of a blind bet.

And the final travel is what the frame multiplies the shock stroke for. 2 stroke inches get multiplied to 5 wheel travel inches. You just need to get the correct eye-to-eye and stroke lengths.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BustedBearing View Post
    Your Trance having 127mm of travel and 50.8mm of stroke puts it with a 2.5 leverage ratio.
    OP, this is incorrect. check my two posts above for the correct info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size View Post
    OP, this is incorrect. check my two posts above for the correct info.
    You're completely right. My bad! I've mistakenly taken the Trance for having a 2 inches stroke shock. It really has a 1.75 stroke and that puts it at a 2.86 leverage ratio.

Sorry for the misinformation. What I've said about the tunes can still be used with the right adaptations.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So since the monarch is up to 2.8 for the medium and 2.8+ for the high, and since the trance x is 2.86 lev ratio I should to with the medium?

mtbr member
    So since the monarch is up to 2.8 for the medium and 2.8+ for the high, and since the trance x is 2.86 lev ratio I should to with the medium?
    i would for sure. it will have a wider tuning range than the high. " If in doubt or on the cusp, use a medium-rate shock since it has the widest range of damping adjustment"

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I finally understand that quote from the monarch details. I kept asking because I didn't read it carefully enough. I guess I will definitely be going medium tune then. Thanks for everyone's help! Find it weird I have a fox up front and will have a rockshox in the rear but at least they're both major upgrades!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i tried the monarch for a tranceX.
    i took the rt3 compression "high" setting and i didn't work at all. i had to run around 40% sag to get the shock start to work. i would take the medium setting.

i now ran a forx rp2 push tuned. best possibiliy.
    otherwise. the original setting for the rp23 ist "medium" and boost-valve at 200.
    Works fine but has to much compression in the open setting. i stay with my push tuning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Posted this on the tx pics thread but don't want to hijack it...

I found a used fox float r off a 2009 trance x for $100. It's in great condition and I figure I could PUSH tune it for $160.

I asked my buddy at the lbs about it and he suggested waiting till I find an rp2. He did say that $100 for the float-r isn't bad but that ill have better propedal setting control with an
    Rp2. Did not mention anything about PUSH tuning it. I leave rp23 out of the discussion because I'm on a budget. He had nothing to say about the monarch, just that its on the anthems.

Should I get this float r and push it? I read bad things about the float r but I assume that's before a push.

mtbr member
    You won't have control over ProPedal with a Float R, it's always on. I wouldn't get it. 2009 already had ProPedal? Not worth 160$ if you ask me. For a couple of bucks more you get the Monarch RT3, equivalent to an RP23.

Imho sending a shock over to Push is only worth if either you don't like the Boost Valve or you don't know how/don't want to take your time and personally tune your shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think I will be patient after all. I had a little "jump the gun feeling." Hopefully I can get the monarch next Friday but if not, definitely the following week.