mtbr member
    Oct 2012

is a giant trance x29 large right for me???

Hello guys!

I need a sincere response please. I'm 6`1, I've lost about 45 lbs and I am currently 264 lbs. I got a great price on a large Trance x29 2. The sales guy assured me its a bike I can grow with so, since I have read many glowing reviews I put a down payment on the bike in order to hold it. They are currently building the bike for me to test it.
    The trails I ride are Markham park for those living in south east Florida, oleta, Amelia and looking to traveling with my bike in the future..I must make mention my skills are not good enough for expert trails yet.

What are your suggestions???? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member

Re: is a giant trance x29 large right for me???

I am also a Clyde and am looking heavily at the Trance x1 for the technical trails around here. It's been a few years since I was last in Florida but I don't remember much elevation. :-) if it were me, I would look more into the Anthem for your conditions. The Trance is a solid bike though.

Sent from my Android in the great outdoors.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    There is not much elevation down here other than man-made stuff.....but there are technical areas in these parks. Quiet waters is very rocky with some roots. I'm looking for quality as well. Something that due to my current weight I will not break constantly. Of course, there will be maintenance and upgrades but nothing serious in the first year.

I hope that makes some sense....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The Trance is the bike for you IMO. Check out the frame cracks on the Anthems. I'm a Clyde also @ 210 pounds and my LBS recommended the Trance due to the fact the frame is stronger. Also the Trance will be the more plush of the two. Others may have differing opinions so do your own research on both. I bought the Trance and love it. It feels more comfortable than the Anthem and SC Tallboy to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Alrighty guys!!! I picked up the trance x29 2. It came with sram x5 and x7 components.....let's talk future upgrades. How many of u like the stock components??? And what is in the immediate future for u???? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Grips and pedals and I'm happy with my stock X2. 6'1" puts you right on the line between L and XL, I would try them both if you can.

EDIT* I also have the Giant dropper post on the bike, I highly recommend.
    Last edited by musikron; 07-26-2013 at 11:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    just picked up same bike yesterday 2013 trance x 29er 2, and I am also 6'1 260ish.
    rode a few miles- changed the seat this morning. I'm just getting back into riding after not being on a bike in many years, an accident a couple years ago, and desk job lately so I mostly just wanted to get some exercise.

not planning on to much just throwing on a bottle/cage, seat storage so I can ride with out having keys/phone/wallet in pockets

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Randeez u r right...the stock seat is rather uncomfortable...what did u get??? I might switch my other old saddle over...I also put my clip less shimano m540 peddles over... has anyone used the rockguardz ???

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    didn't do much research for a seat- walked into LBS told him stock seat sucked and they pointed at a couple. looked up reviews on it when I got home, Serfas Terrazo looks to be decent, 90 day comfort return also. still a little sore from old seat but after putting it on- riding, adjusting forward and angle a little bit it feels a whole lot better then the stock on

and I had them put on black ops pedals when I bought it

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammy9398 View Post
    Randeez u r right...the stock seat is rather uncomfortable...what did u get??? I might switch my other old saddle over...I also put my clip less shimano m540 peddles over... has anyone used the rockguardz ???
    I bought the WTB pure v for mine and love it. WTB makes several different saddles so research them and find one that suits your style. Also upgraded my wheels right off the bat. I went with DT Swiss with hope hubs and have been very pleased with them. I had Mavic Crossmax St before and liked them but the Hope hubs appear to function better IMO. I also upgraded my components to X7 all the way around. Upgraded to XT brakes and Ergon grips. I recently purchased a Thompson offset seat post and like it but it wasn't essential rather a want. I also went with shimano XT pedals after a brief trial period with crank brother egg beaters. Define toy like the shimano better. The only other upgrades I'll do is changing out the crankset to full XT when mine wears out. I ride with a 2.25 Racing Ralph on the rear and a 2.35 Nobby Nic on the front and love that combo. The more you tinker with the bike to fit your style the more fun it becomes. You're gonna love the bike more and more every time you ride it. At least I do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

I'm 6'1 also and have a large trance x1. The med will not have enough height available with the seat post maxing out and the XL would be unnecessarily big and slow. Dropper post is a must in my opinion. Will transform your riding and increase enjoyment, speed and comfort on downhill sections. Upgrade to XT brakes. Wiggle has them delivered for about 100 bucks each end and use your std rotors. Tubeless is a good idea also. Reduce rotating mass and stops pinch flats.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I will say this... I love the bike.. No complaints so far. I am down in Miami so, my trail parks are several... I have been to two so far (Amelia Earhart and Oleta) and I must say after every die she just feels better. I did notice some numbess in my wrists but I was too clinched, to uptight... but after calming myself it has been awesome (new toy, never owning an expensive bike).. I will however be upgrading in the future the x5 rear derailleur.. I need to add a bashguard / chain guide. What are your suggestions... with these..

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Why do you want a bash guard? A chain guide is a good idea to keep your chain on during rough descents and to protect your chain stay. There are a few light weight options that suit a trance. The larger ones that incorporate a bash guard are a bit of an over kill IMO.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    large is right size for you. i'm about to take my x1 down to south florida and hit quiet waters and probably Oleta. Never been to Markam or the other park down there. i changed the elixir brakes to shimano slx, ice tech rotors, changed seat to SGD belair, about to put the dropper post on ebay. just ordered a thompson elite. i just don't need a dropper. love the bike, love the suspension design. my sister got a small x2 and loves it. The Anthem is a blast, fast, light,,etc. for big tech stuff for a heavier guy the trance is the right move. you can set it up to run pretty quick too when you get used to it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yup. I have the x2.. I will eventually start to upgrade components.. my park is quiet waters, its closest to me.. let me know when u get here.. I will try to meetup if possible.

Has anyone gone tubeless?? Is it worth the hassle?