mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Giant Trance X29 with a 140mm Fork

So I am sure there have been a few people out there who have wondered what this bike feels like with a 140mm fork. I haven't had my TX29 and having ridden it only a few time I wondered that very thing.

I used to have a 26" Trance X and found with the 125mm Fork; whilst the bike felt great it did feel a bit steep so I installed a 140mm fork (as many others had). Onto my TX29, once again I felt the bike did feel really good with the 120mm fork but also once again it did feel a bit steep. Also because of the way I have built and setup my TX29 (30% sag) the front end felt very steep.

I managed to pick up a 2012 RS Revelation 140mm the other day for a very good price, unfortunately the fork only had a 20mm Maxle so I had to swap my wheelset too.

I have just finished putting the bike back together and what do you know its raining outside, so I havent hit the trails yet, but just cruising around the streets the bike does feel much better with the 140mm fork, almost like this fork was intended for this bike (Just like the 140mm did on the 26" Trance X).

I hope to hit the trails in the next couple days and will report back with how the bike rode with the 140mm forks compared to the 120mm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Trance X29 with a 140mm Fork-0n5c5179.jpg  

Giant Trance X29 with a 140mm Fork-0n5c5215.jpg  

Giant Trance X29 with a 140mm Fork-0n5c5214.jpg  

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    It works great. My LBS built up their demo Trance 29er with a 140mm fork. It rides awesome

Sebt frm my iPhne usig Tapaak

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Bet you it's flexy. 26" 32mm 150mm forks, including the Rev, are flexy and vague. Your Rev is nearly an inch higher AC.
    I found the F120 29er fork flexy , not surprising as it has same AC as F150 26".
    If I was going to go 140mm 29er ,it would be 34mm, and I'd hang it off a more solid frame like a Meta AM 29er or Yeti SB95.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 12-21-2012 at 11:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Hope it rides as good as it looks. That is one pimped X1!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Bet you it's flexy. 26" 32mm 150mm forks, including the Rev, are flexy and vague. Your Rev is nearly an inch higher AC.
    I found the F120 29er fork flexy , not surprising as it has same AC as F150 26".
    If I was going to go 140mm 29er ,it would be 34mm, and I'd hang it off a more solid frame like a Meta AM 29er or Yeti SB95.
    Well actually the 29er Rev is only 140mm (as mentioned) not 150mm. The extra length axle to crown is in the lowers not the stanchions and IMO RS forks are way better than Pogo Fox. I am very particular about the bikes I would ride and I have no interest in riding your Yeti or Cemmencial bikes, perhaps you best go hang out in their forums rather than bringing your sulking here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nice

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by VERT1 View Post
    Well actually the 29er Rev is only 140mm (as mentioned) not 150mm. The extra length axle to crown is in the lowers not the stanchions and IMO RS forks are way better than Pogo Fox. I am very particular about the bikes I would ride and I have no interest in riding your Yeti or Cemmencial bikes, perhaps you best go hang out in their forums rather than bringing your sulking here.
    I know all about 29er vs 26" revs.The larger the Ac, the larger the moment,as well as the extra Tx fronm the larger wheel.There's a reason why they go to a 34mm in 140mm.And yes RS are stiffer than Fox. I ride DT swiss as they are stiffer than both.

I've got two Giants so I know there is a tradeoff in rigidy to a lightweight alloy frame.

Hope it works out well for you, just don't think a Rev 140 29er is a good idea on this frame, Sorry if that disappoints you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I know all about 29er vs 26" revs.The larger the Ac, the larger the moment,as well as the extra Tx fronm the larger wheel.There's a reason why they go to a 34mm in 140mm.And yes RS are stiffer than Fox. I ride DT swiss as they are stiffer than both.

I've got two Giants so I know there is a tradeoff in rigidy to a lightweight alloy frame.

Hope it works out well for you, just don't think a Rev 140 29er is a good idea on this frame, Sorry if that disappoints you.

of course I know why Fox went to 34mm, its called marketing and it looks like you took hook line and sinker. Its funny every 13 year old out there thinks they are an expert on everything, I bet you havent even ridden a Trance X29er and dont worry it feels mint with a 140mm Rev fork.

Next.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

May contain nuts
    Certainly the TX29 could benefit from a 140mm, depending on application. Here's one such..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Trance X29 with a 140mm Fork-dpp_763.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    of course I know why Fox went to 34mm, its called marketing and it looks like you took hook line and sinker. Its funny every 13 year old out there thinks they are an expert on everything, I bet you havent even ridden a Trance X29er and dont worry it feels mint with a 140mm Rev fork.

Next.

Funny how even bike mag reviewers say the Rev 140 29er is flexy and suggest a 34mm fork as an upgrade. You know there's something off when they dish sponsers products.

Ever given it a thought that you haven't the skills or experience to feel the difference?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Funny how even bike mag reviewers say the Rev 140 29er is flexy and suggest a 34mm fork as an upgrade. You know there's something off when they dish sponsers products.

Ever given it a thought that you haven't the skills or experience to feel the difference?
    You still here? Nothing better to do than bad mouth other peoples threads? Go sulk somewhere else.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Looks nice! I was thinking 140 is too much, but looks very nice! Congrats!

Send from Tapatalk via GalaxyTab

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ftajiri View Post
    Looks nice! I was thinking 140 is too much, but looks very nice! Congrats!

Send from Tapatalk via GalaxyTab
    I was initially thinking 140mm was to much too but thought I would try it out 1st. The Revs are easily reduced to 130mm if 140mm is too much anyways.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    What size is that X1 in the pics?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Size medium

I have the bike setup with low air pressures about 30% sag at either end and running a 60mm stem and 680mm wide low rise bars. I weigh about 75kgs kitted up without water. Also have a bit more negative air in the forks than positive so really getting 135mm travel instead of the full 140mm, the axle to crown is 15mm more than the Float 120

Hit up my local trails today and gave the bike a good thrash. Bike with current setup and forks is a bit harder now to ride up hills, but still rides up pretty well considering. I didnt build or set this bike up to be an uphill bike anyways, more of a plush single track and decent bike. Bike is definitely plush, the Rockshox Revelations feel a lot nicer and plusher than the Fox Float did, but I am more of RS fan anyways. This bike rode fast before with the Float 120 but now it just feels crazy scarey fast!

I couldnt feel any flex in the Forks as mentioned above but maybe a heavier rider could flex them?? With the longer travel I didnt notice any difference in bike handling and the bike didnt feel longer.

If you are considering building up your Trance X29er as a more All Mountain/Trail bike and less XC, I would definately recomend putting a 140mm fork on it or even a 130mm Fork.

I think my bike would be the ultimate Super D/Enduro bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I've heard so many different opinions on sizing for Trance 29ers, how tall are you?

awesome bike man

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I am 5 foot 8

Stock the Trance was a bit big for me, with a 70mm or 60mm stem it feels great. The size small was way too small for me

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You still here? Nothing better to do than bad mouth other peoples threads? Go sulk somewhere else.
    Your my inter- web hero.Got any vids of bunny hops to share.

banjo plunker, wrench
    Thanks for the heads-up on the upgrade! I'm getting a Trance X2 29er and plan to use a Fox 34 Talas off of a Transition Bandit 29er from last year. I liked the Bandit, but sell Giant, and wanted to try out a Trance X2 29er for this year. The 34mm stanchion fork is great and seems like a perfect match for the Trance! Enjoy!
    any time spent riding a bicycle is re-cycled goodness....

aw fiddlestix

Wait aren't you the "genius" that rides a Trance x 69er?
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

knobby noob
    Nice writeup...

I used to have a 26" Trance X and found with the 125mm Fork; whilst the bike felt great it did feel a bit steep so I installed a 140mm fork (as many others had). Onto my TX29, once again I felt the bike did feel really good with the 120mm fork but also once again it did feel a bit steep. Also because of the way I have built and setup my TX29 (30% sag) the front end felt very steep. .
    Just got my 2011 TX1 (fully stock) not long ago. What do you mean by it "feeling steep"? Just wondering.
    2011 Giant Trance X1... loving it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by axl886 View Post
    Nice writeup...

Just got my 2011 TX1 (fully stock) not long ago. What do you mean by it "feeling steep"? Just wondering.
    Steep as in the bike rode a bit like a XC bike which generally have quite steep agresive geometry. I wanted more relaxed geometry.

Would also like to mention I measured the wheelbase the other day and the bike is only 1cm longer than it was before.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Having had a pretty good play on the bike since putting 140mm fork on the front, the only ill effects i have found is the bike doesnt climb as well as it used to - but still climbs really well and it doesnt feel as fast as i would like through tight single track, but that might take just getting used to. On the plus side of things this bike bombs the downhills - it is scarey fast! I have ridden some pretty tech downhills and wide open fast stuff and it eats everything up, rockgardens, ruts you name it.

I am quite keen to stick a 10mm spacer in the fork though and run it at 130mm and run it a bit stiffer (as i am running the 140 plush) and see what that feels like. I have since also installed a slightly longer 70mm stem and some flat bars to get the front end lower.

I havent noticed any flex of the forks as a certain person who posted here said.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hi, just a quick question - I also have a giant frame, but I am planning to put a 120mm Reba on it (tapered stearer). I understand that I do not need to change the bottom part of the headset, just the top one.

So is this the part that I need to buy?
    Cane Creek 40 ZS44 28 6 Short Cover Top Headset Black | eBay

Anyone else (apart from CC are making these)?

Is there anything else that I should purchase while I am at it? How difficult is the upper headset replacement? Doesn't Giant have integrated headset?