Thread: Giant Trance X1

mtbr member

Giant Trance X1

My local shop just received in the new Trance X1 demo and i am going to take it for a ride this weekend. I will let everyone know what i think about the ride.

I am currently riding a 2005 Speciallized Stumpjumper FSR 120 and i am looking for a new bike. I like my Stumpjumper but i am looking for something more efficient on the pedals but also handle the the downs.

I have narrowed my new bike picks to the Trance X0, Speciallized Stumpjumper FSR, and the Titus Motolite.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Not that you necessarily asked, but get the Giant. For real. Having had one now for two months, I can easily say it's the best bike I've ever ridden. 5" that feels more like 6, great pedaling, light weight and great Maestro suspension.

Skip the Titus. It's 1993-era suspension.

Just my two pennies worth...

mtbr member
    I went from 2005 Stumpjumper 120 to a Trance XO. If you're used to the geometry of the Stumpjumper 120 then have the dealer lower the stem or possibly flip it prior to testing. Stem height on the Trance X is very high compared to the stumpjumper. I felt really slow on my first ride and got tired faster on the Trance X compared to the stumpjumper even though it was 3 lbs lighter. Once I got the stem height and length to my preferences the bike handles and pedals like a dream. Plus you definitely get the most bang for your buck with the Giant.

mtbr member

Good job! Review

I just returned this bike yesterday. This is a really nice bike . I had a chance to ride this bike over two days. As I stated before I am coming off a stumpjumper FSR.

The first day I felt like I was sitting on the back wheel so I figured I did not have the suspension dialed in correctly. The bike also felt like the stem was too high but this probably a personal preference. The suspension felt a lot more active than the stumpjumper.

The second day I had the suspension dialed in and this bike was eating up all of the bumps and climbed like a goat. This bike just gives you confidence on the downhill and corners like it is on rails . This bike is more efficient than the stumpjumper FSR.

I am going to order a trance X1 or X0 next week but I have a couple of questions does anyone find that the stem is too high and has any one had any problems with the race face cranks?

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    I agree with you totally on the stem being too high. Like I said in my previous reply I had to flip the stem to get it close to my 2005 stumpy and keep the conical spacer. I'm going to remove the conical spacer though so that can get the stem right side up again. I've seen a couple of reviews mention this as well. Its my only minor complaint of this bike.

This review mentions the stem height.
    http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/6040

As well as this guy converted his trance X to dual slalom bike. http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=118382

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I felt that the stem was a little high myself on my x1 so I lowered it and I love it. Feel I have a lot more control. The Race Face crank is awesome. It's a light, strong crank that looks sweet.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Depending on riding conditions the BBís kind of suck but thatís always covered by the warranty and the cranks are well worth it.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Houndboy, my first ride on the Trance was a lot like your second. I am REALLY impressed with the bike.

Since I started my build with only a frame and fork, I naturally placed the stem at a height that seems to be noticeably lower than where Giant places it (based on the bike shop builds in the "Post your Trance X" thread and the pics on the Giant website). I found the lower height to be spot-on, but may try raising it just to see what Giant had in mind by running so many spacers under the stem.
    Last edited by antonio; 05-29-2008 at 04:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I agree with EGF168, the race face BB does suck. No worries though since if you get tired of replacing it under warrenty you can always use the shimano hollowtech BB instead from what I've heard.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Yeah, Iím running mine with an XT BB because the shop felt (like I) that it was cheaper to replace now than later because they had so many problems with them, not to sound doomish or anything.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Thanks for everyones input. I will post some pictures once i get my new bike.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    houndboy, I just made the switch to Giant after owning 3 Specialized bikes. I think Specialized is really losing its edge. The big S has just turned into a marketing circus. When I saw the specs on the new stumpys I was fuming. I am so tired of seeing all of this "made for Specialized" b.s. on their spec sheets. Their Elite FSR was $400 more than the Comp version, and the only difference was the brakeset. Their paint jobs suck also.

I bought the Trance X1 today and I absolutly loved it from the first time I rode it 2 months ago. I chose the Trance X1 over the Stumpy FSR Elite, Santa Cruz Blur LT, Trek Fuel EX 8, and the new Cannondale Rize 4 (Demo). I loved the suspension, handling, and it corners great! I never thought I would own a Giant, but the Trance X1 really delivered on the performance end of things. Not to mention value. Even at MSRP the Giant Trance X1 is a pretty sweet deal. I paid $2050.00 for the bike. I was really happy because I feel that's an excellent price considering MSRP is $2700.

mtbr member

Handle Bars

I am going to order the Giant Trance today afterwork but i want to switch out the handle bars for carbon. Is the rise 1.0 on the Stock Deus?

Should i get the raceface next carbon bars or is there a better handle bar i should get?
    Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Yes the rise on the Deus is 1.0 and if I had money for carbon bars the Next is certainly what I would go for, there are other good bars but the Next is just as good, I like Race Face and it goes with the other kit on the X1.

Donít forget to post pictures so we can congratulate you on your new ride.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Order

I placed an order for a Giant Trance X0 last night. Once it arrives i will post pictures.
    Thanks for the help with my decision