mtbr member

Giant Trance X0 Vs Speciallized Stumpjumper Expert

I am currently riding a 2005 Stumpjumper FSR 120 expert but i am looking for a new bike. I have it narrowed dow to the Stumpjumper FSR expert and the Giant Trance X0. I have test rode both of these bike and they are really nice bikes so it is a hard decision. The shop i go to all of the time carries Speciallzed but there is another shop father away that is not as convenient that carries Giant so i am torn.
    Has anyone ridden both bikes to give me some feedback?
    Thanks for the help in advance

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You already no my answer.

Quack Attack
    Xo!
    2011 Ibis Mojo SL-R & 2008 Giant Trance X0

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I rode Specialized for the past 4-5 years (just look at my screen name) and I can tell you right now that the Trance X is a much better bike. I test rode the Stumpy FSR, and I thought it was nowhere near the Trance X.

Get it over with and buy the Trance X0. You will not be dissappointed!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Similar to the choice process I went through.

Firstly I narrowed it down the Trance X or Specialized Stumpjumper Pro.

The MTBR forum and others helped with that decision. What really made my mind up was:
    a) Most importantly, a full weekendís demo of both bikes on long mixed trails.
    b) The Stumpy rides great but, reports on the swiftness (or lack of it!) of Specialized customer service when replacing expensive custom parts put me off.

It has to be the Giant X for versatility; it can climb & descend with equal ability. My next choice was X0 or X1 and itís a close call. On this the jury was out for some time and I got some useful advice from guys on this forum. The X1 appears to be extraordinary value, with a great spec.

In the end, I went for the X0 and am eagerly awaiting delivery.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i bought a trance xo last month. and all i can say is i love it.
    i read every review i could find. then i searched for a good bike shop.
    they had them in stock so i took it for a demo ride. they even rent them.
    i ordered it after the ride.
    good luck

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You post this in a Giant forum what do you expect??

Anyway, to be fair, if you prefer a no nonsense suspension design, get the Giant cause the only problem it can give you is the shock or the linkage which by the way never had problems but if you prefer to own a high tech bike (there might be issues) then by all means go for the Specialized .
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Cycle Solutions
    The Specialized is a low tech bike with a high tech shock. I'd say the Giant is the high tech one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I was a huge Stumpy fan. The last 3 bikes I have had were Stumpy FSR's. All my friends ride Stumpys because of me. It was time to buy Stumpy #4 early this year so I stopped by a shop to ride one. They told me to try a Trance X1 for comparison against the Stumpy Comp I wanted to buy.

The Giant had a better parts spec, was lighter on the scale at the shop, had a snappier feel when pedaling at all shock settings and had a steeper head angle than the 2008 Stumpy so it felt quicker handling.

Oh, and the 2008 Stumpy's are butt ugly...frame design and paint jobs.

I ended up getting a Trance X2 and a bunch of upgrades for what I would have spent on the Stumpy. Now I have a few months on the bike and I am very happy with my decision. The Trance X2 climbs technical rocky, rooty climbs better than my last Stumpy and the additional inch of travel let me run through rougher sections faster than ever before, in the saddle, crankng the pedals!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I ended up getting a Trance X2 and a bunch of upgrades for what I would have spent on the Stumpy. Now I have a few months on the bike and I am very happy with my decision. The Trance X2 climbs technical rocky, rooty climbs better than my last Stumpy and the additional inch of travel let me run through rougher sections faster than ever before, in the saddle, crankng the pedals!
    Spesh fans wont be too happy to hear this
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I used to manange a shop that sold Giant in the mid 90's and I would never have bought one of those bikes. They were all well made but not at all original and thier FS bikes were a joke. I am amazed at how far the Giant has improved in 10 years.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    got a Trance X0 and love it...Stumpys are not good looking compared to a Trance X!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ah yes.....2008 was a good year

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I was in the same boat early last year (Stumpy Comp vs. TX1) and after spending a full day on each at the trails the choice was clear. In comparison, the Stumpy felt sluggish to the TranceX and in general didn't make for a very inspiring ride. In contrast the TranceX feels snappy, suspension feels great climbing & descending, and the part spec is right-on.
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I loved the brain shock when I rode it. Could not afford, went with 09 x3...