mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Giant Trance VS Anthem?

So last year I rode on a trance 4, its all I could afford at the time and I had planned to upgrade as funds became available. But it was such a blast to ride I didnt care much about spending cash to upgrade parts. I had then planned to strip the frame down and rebuild it over the winter, but I was forced to sell it for financial reasons. Anywhoo, im in a better position now and I can afford something a little higher end. My intentions was to pick up a trance 2 or 3 ( depending on what deal I could work out with my shop). But to confuse me, out comes the anthem. They're essentially the same price for the anthem 2 and 3 compared to the trance 2 and 3. im 5'9 and weigh 130, i consider myself a trail rider, I dont do any drops over like 2-3 feet, but I like to bomb down trails and not have to worry. I know a lighter rider can get away with using lighter parts/frames, but is the anthem TOO xc for me? should I just stick with the trance?
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    From what you describe, the Trance is the way to go for you. I'm looking for the same thing in a bike...and my Trance frameset should arrive very soon!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If you're not planning on racing then stick with the Trance, you'll be happy you did.

make mine fixed
    With your light weight, a 27 lb Anthem 3 will feel so much more responsive and easier to pedal than your previous 31 lb Trance 4. Coupled with no big drops allows the A3 or A2 to be the better choice in my opinion. Do you like a more upright riding position? The Anthem can be given a shorter, steeper stem and throw on a low riser and it will be in the ballpark of the Trance geometry. The Anthem can be setup to ride just a s plush as the Trance.

The Anthem steers quicker. It felt weird at first because I really needed to pay attention to it. Now I've learned to minimize my steering input and lean the bike more while maintaining weight over the BB. The Anthem needs the R7 to be run towards the stiff end for best handling, though rougher ride. The slacker head angle on the trance may be a slight advantage on downhills. The A2 flatout corners, accelerates, and climbs better than my T2 did. Maybe I've just learned to ride better, or my riding style fits the Anthem better than the Trance.

The only reason I would suggest a trance over an anthem is for heavy (200+ lbs) riders, those who regularly break their bikes, like bigger drops, want the most upright riding position, or prefered component specs.
    Rigid keeps you one with the ground vertically. Fixed keeps you one with the ground horizontally.

MTB B'dos
    Going by your discription I'd have to say stick to the TRANCE, unless you get a chance to test ride a Anthem on the type of trails you ride. Personally I think that if you like to "bomb" the DH the Trance is definitely the way to go. I call my Trance an XC/ All Mountain bike as it will handle a "little bit" of that sort of riding. Go for a T2 if you can, especially this year as they come with a RP3 shock over the FloatR of last year.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

get both............

Buy the anthem, then slowly gather a build kit and wait for a good deal on a new or used trance frame.

Being able to ride two different bikes allows you to feel and appreciate more their different attributes.
    Each bike will last you longer
    You have a back up should one of the bikes need servicing

Expensive?????????try paying bills for medical expenses should you not exercise.

Trance Rider
    You already know what the Trance feels like. If you gotta ask about which bike to buy then the Trance was not what you were looking for. It's a stupid question IMHO. Get the Anthem and go ride. I own a Trance 2 and it is what I wanted in a trail bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have a Trance 1 and my mate just bought a Anthem 1 so spec wise they are very similar.
    I love my bike as I don't have to be on it all the time I can relax and enjoy the ride. With the Anthem I have found its real twitchy and more of a racers bike which is good just not what I want in a trail bike. Having completed my first 100km race in Feb it was the bike for me, no pain from the arms or sholders like I use to get from my XTC hardtail. Infact that how I would describe the Anthem an XTC with travel.
    Go the Trance.