Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm Giant trance 29er tweaks

Been riding my Trance 29er 2 since for the last couple of months now and have discovered a few tweaks to the buike that have help me out massively in the way the bike responds and handles on the trail.

First thing I did was ditch the saddle and replaced it with a charge spoon, for me this offers a lot more comfort. I'm 6'4"and about 240lbs and have always run my saddles as far back on the rails as possible. On the trance 29er for me this didn't work out so well because of the rear weight bias in balance. So saddle moved to a more neutral position worked better. Ditched the stock grips as well for something thicker and softer as my hands are hulk like.

I changed my bars and stem also to a 60mm 8 degree rise stem and 780mm low rise bar. What I found whilst riding with this set up was that for my height and riding style the front was still going light on fast, loose wide corners or going up steep steep hills. To solve this I have flipped my stem so its running negative which pushed my weight ever so slightly onto my hands a little more which has made a huge difference to the way the bike handles going up hill and also at speed round fast loose corners.

Also the recon setup needed looking at as the guidelines are well off when it come to pressures I ran 150 in front but have since lowered it right down to 130 and then 110 where it seems to be much improved in feel as I I feel more connected with the trail. The other little thing I have done which has made my bike almost silent is add a bionicon chain guide which decreases chain slap and noise greatly.

My Trance 29er x2 rides and handles great for me with this set up, I have found the stock brakes excellent even with my heft. I used to run Hayes stroker trails (2010) with 203mm rotors front and 180mm these work just as well if not better.

With a few tweaks this bike has become awesome.

mtbr member
    Got a picture of it you can throw on here?

Also, which grips did you put on it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I went for superstar exel/xl grips in brown. Will post a few snaps in the Trance 29er pics thread when I get chance to take some out in the wild where it belongs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm 2 weeks on my x1. Been fooling with mine too to get the right feel and get a little weight on the front. Thinking of going longer on the stem to stretch a bit more. Dropped fork pressure to 100 from 110 and slowed the rebound a bit. It was a little loose in the front on turns . Moved the seat forward a bit. This took care of the light front end. The seat is a piece of junk. That would be a nice upgrade with the brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm about 5 weeks in on my Trance 29 X2. I am 6ft and 165ish riding a size Large frame. I swapped the seat first (as everyone agrees, stock one has been uncomfortable across the board) to a WTB Speed V. Also running a 70mm stem, and the seat slid just slightly forward. With sag in the rear shock set at 25% I'm very satisfied with suspension in the back-just set and forget, and it has been awesome! Still messing with pressures on the fork every 2-3 rides, trying to find my happy place. Not unhappy with the Recon fork, just not quite as good it could be for me yet. I also swapped out the grips for locking Oury's and love them!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Forgot to mention I'm on an XL frame, rear sag is about 30%. 30 psi tubed upfront and 40 psi rear also tubed nobby nics that came with the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Are you guys finding the chain flys off on big drops / tables? The missus wont let me ride it anymore cause she says im too hard on it, I love it more than my 2013 reign 1, if I can get it to hold up to abuse a bit better I think im sold on one

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    no big drops here but lots of choppy terrain, no issues with chain for me, although i had one pop off when i rode a demo bike. i read somewhere the clutched derailleur was supposed to help with that. its working for me so far.
    my only gripes are the noisy avid brakes and the seat. the rest is just minor adjustments. its otherwise been great. I looked at the rotor yesterday and it said 170 up front? not 180? maybe i can swap over my avid 203/185 rotors from my camber and use XT brakes with those. good reports from the brake forum using shimano brake upgrade with the avid rotors.

mtbr member
    Bobmouse - I agree with your setup. I have recently changed to some Renthal Fatbars 780 with 30mm rise. The better bend and sweep of the Renthals suit me to a tee. Im 128kgs and just on 6'. Grips Im running are some cheapy lockons until my ESI chunkys arrived from the States. I have since day one run with a flipped stem (70mm on a L frame). Although mine is TX29 0, the same can be said with the FOX fork/shock pressure adjustments too. Ive finally got it set with about 95psi in the forks and 240psi in the shock and this works nice for most of my local stuff here in OZ.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant trance 29er tweaks-img_20130424_165439.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've had a couple ride on a TX29 0 so far. I think the fork is operating so poor it is detracting from the whole experience. Everything else about the bike has been good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    i think i'm going to flip that factory stem too on my (L). i'm up way too high in the front. its making turns at speed difficult. i'm accustomed to laying over a bit anyway.

mtbr member

Giant trance 29er tweaks

Quote Originally Posted by Hophead1 View Post
    i think i'm going to flip that factory stem too on my (L). i'm up way too high in the front. its making turns at speed difficult. i'm accustomed to laying over a bit anyway.
    Definitely flip the stem. Flipped mine about a month ago and like it better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    So....wasn't a good idea to put the bike on the stand for that. Now that its back together it feels pretty good.
    ....edit: found another spacer in the garage.lol. I still think this thing should be longer. I think its a 90. I like the 105 on my camber.
    Last edited by Hophead1; 04-30-2013 at 09:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    getting those bars lower and more weight over the front tire was a big help in handling and i'm even more comfortable. leaning into turns was much better. still threatening to swap the stem for the 100mm. maybe i just have long arms.lol. also just ordered slx ice tech brakes as they went on sale somewhere. debated on rotors for awhile. ended up going to a 180 ice tech for the front instead of a 203. i'll either reuse the the avid 160 or 170 for the rear. still not sure about the rotors. eh, it should still be a lot better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hophead, how do you like the brake change?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My bike is sitting at the shop because the brake line with the rear brake is way too short. Apparently nobody around here has anything that will work. Seems ridiculous. They had a jagwire hyflow but said it wouldn't work. I seem to be the only one having any issues with the brake swap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Giant trance 29er tweaks

When I swapped brakes on my TX29-1 I had to get a longer rear hose. My LBS was able to order one with no problems. I think it was 1700mm, and I ended up not trimming very much off after installing it (I have a M frame) - needed most of that length.

Have your shop run it through the downtube and chainstay while you're at it. It's worth the effort, and if your already changing hoses you might as well go all the way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    is that a shimano hose or something else? yeah, its got to be a 1700. i measured the one i have, its about 4.5 feet. the avid I took off is 5.5 feet or about 1700mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Giant trance 29er tweaks

Yep, it was a Shimano hose.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobmouse View Post
    Forgot to mention I'm on an XL frame, rear sag is about 30%. 30 psi tubed upfront and 40 psi rear also tubed nobby nics that came with the bike.
    I'm over 6'4", and weigh 30lbs more than you and the most I have needed in any rear 29er tire is 32psi, and run most at 28 to 30psi. If I am using the same tires front and rear, I usually run 2psi less in front than in back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    2 recent changes, just cause I got deals on the parts...
    I am now running 2013 Shimano XT brakes (still on stock rotors) and a 750mm Truvativ Boobar handlebar. I ended up flipping the stem with my new handlebars to offset the slightly higher rise, and definitely like the extra width. I'd even consider going wider! As far as the brakes go, they are everything you have heard. Great modulation. Great stopping power.Also finally settled on running about 90-95 psi in the Recon fork--seems the most comfortable for me overall.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Just today switched out the x5 10 speed shifter for an x9 shifter just because I got a great deal and couldn't resist. Much more responsive/quicker shifting. Saving for a lighter fork now, either a reba or rev.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Slx brakes were nice and smooth from the start. After a couple of miles on the trail they were awesome. Instant stop. Love em. Hit some areas a little more aggressive knowing I could stop quick. tapping the brakes to get through the really tight stuff was also fun. Even though it was a hassle I'm glad I did it. I was going to change seats but stripped the crap bolt for the seat post. I also want to swap grips to something more comfortable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Bobmouse- did you keep the derailleurs and just swap the shifters? Significant improvement?

Hophead- glad to hear you like the Shimanos, I feel the same way!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I noticed some of you are running shorter stems on the large While I have the 90 flipped and thinking of going longer. As I've gotten lower and more stretched out, leaning the bike on fast turns has become easier. I've also read that handling improves the closer your hands are to being plumb with the front axle. Is that shorter position just where you are comfortable or does it have more to do with the trails you ride?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast