mtbr member
    Feb 2010

We the people ... Giant Trance 27.5 3 First Impression and component Review

Here is my heavily biased Trance 27.5 review, meant for only those who agree with me.

In short, if you favor the new Trance for it's huge versatility and it's cool looks go get it, BUT, buy at least the black "2" alu model and change the wheelset. Why? Read below...

So today I finally got the chance to testride a size Large Trance 27.5 "3" model (the red one)

weight complete bike with plastic pedals: an even 14,0kg / 30,8pounds
    front wheel (as it was fully assembled on the bike): 2,0kg / 4,4pounds
    rear wheel (as it was fully assembled on the bike): 2,8kg / 6,16pounds

First impression:
    I instantly like the honest red colour but damn that bike is heavy. And I'vent even installed a dropper post yet.
    Damn that wheels are heavy! Are there stones hidden underneath the tires, who knows? Honestly, how the hell did Giant get away with that? That same wheelset is also specced on the more expensive but otherwise much better specced black "2" model, so that's a real bummer. If you don't like the model "1" colour for it's feminime looks you may have to change at least the wheelset on the "2" model.

Geometry&Riding:
    Damn that bike is huge. Call it a monster truck. Even though I'm 6" with a 34 inseam I instantly wished I could have tried the medium sized frame just to compare the handling. (I may need a longer seatpost tough). The "L" sized frame felt kinda sluggish to handle, blame the slack head angle and the kinda long wheelbase, yes sure it will run over anything you're pointing at but it's definately not a "quick-turner". Compared to that my current 26" 150mm AM Fully feels like a nimble XC machine. I definately recommend trying both Frame sizes to testride!

I would say the biggest benefit of the new 27.5" wheels lies not in their increased roll-over capability (although it's noticeable better) but the overall lower bb height compared to the wheels axles. I definately felt a difference compared to my current bike. In fact you could argue that the 27.5 wheel are just a "geometric correction" because due to the historic increase of travel over the years, bottom brackets on 26inch bikes got higher and higher until you felt like you where riding "ontop the bike" instead of "inside", so 27.5 is here to stay and that's a good thing.

I liked the Fork. Although it looks kinda cheap (stanchions), it works, it's easy to service yourself and you can later travel it (130-150mm) with spacers in order to fine adjust the bikes geometry. Note that only the Talas Fork on the "1" alu model offers an "on-the-fly" 140-120mm travel adjustment for steep climbing sessions.

The rear shock has a fixed build in plattform and offers only external rebound adjustment, so it's basically a "set-it-and-forget-it" component. Giants Maestro Suspension works brilliant that way, the only occasion where I could imagine missing the lockout feature of a "Monarch RT" shock would be extended periods on asphalt.

The drivetrain is cheap but functional, the rear derailleur even has Shimano's innovative "anti-chainslap-feature" Shadow+ built-in. The only thing I would want to change would be the rear shifter in order to upshift more gears at a time (used to the XT shifters), I instantly missed that feature. You may argue that Shimanos 1x11(1x12?) is virtually arround the corner so why bother, the 2x10 drivetrain may be obsolete in less than 12 months anyway. However, keep in mind that Giants Maestro suspension was designed with a "front changing chainline in mind", meaning at least two chain rings up front, so forcing yourself to ride a granny on steep uphills may only improve (e.g. balance) the systems anti-squat/pedal-feedback characteristics.

My Final conclusion:
    With the Trance 27.5 "3" model, you get a great engineered frame with one of the best suspension designs on the market, assembled with some ok parts to "ride the frame save home". With 140mm front&rear the bike is perfectly balanced for aggressive trail riding, whereas the 140-120mm Talas travel option specced on the "1" alu model may come in handy for extended periods of climbing. (I have a Talas on my own bike and use it a lot.) Spec wise I would probably go with the carbon "advanced 2", not for it's looks neither it's weight savings but because performance wise a carbon frame just feels so much better to ride, however it cannot be ordered in europe anyway (shame on you Giant). Maybe next year, better colours, better wheels, no rush.

oh by the way that is (= !meaning the Picture below!) my current ride (I already felt bad for kinda betraying it..

(I removed the picture because obviously it created waaayy tooo much confusion. Sorry for that)
    Last edited by Steel Calf; 10-30-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Your Best Friend
    I'm confused. What are you reviewing here? Because it is not the bike in the picture.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Upset Damn you gotta be kidding me.

The line "oh by the way that is my current ride...) followed by a picture was just added to elaborate "where I come from" and to make a contrast to the reviewed bike (different style, geometry...). Did you even read the text or are you just looking at pictures?

Your Best Friend
    I just look at pictures. Especially for a "review" of a bike you only got to test ride for a day. Worthless. Maybe call it an impression instead. Did you notice that most of your "review" consisted of how the bike looked?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    better now?

Your Best Friend
    Meh. Just giving you a hard time btw. Mostly because reviews like this get posted by people who are more interested in being first than being right. A one day ride should be used for your own purposes and for information, if asked. Not for publication. JMO. Carry on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Silentfoe you soggy rag - if only you were more silent than foe. This is review of sorts even if it didn't come with a 4 day test ride for your high and mighty ass. Besides you're in the forum section Captain Hotshit Conversation Killer.

Steel Calf - keep writing bru. There are others who appreciate your efforts. I read your 'review' 'impression' - who gives a... prior to buying as it was actually more useful than the giant website info to me. Anyhoo...

I bought the bike and am loving it. Its a definite all mountain machine. Bit too burly to attempt respectable XC times but can pedal nicely on the flats and gearing is good for all climbs although they will be slow and steady. Still this way you get to talk to your mates instead of try rip them a new one. If you want to open the taps, the weight will eventually get the better of your legs. Best way to ride this is cruise up the hills, then whoop back down them.

My only 2 gripes are, its a bit light on the front wheel for my liking which makes hard work of a tight steep climbs but a little toe dab here and there is worth it for the descent. The other is limited space for a bottle - stumpy only.

Upgrade opportunites are obviously there. Tyres first with a stans conversion. Then possibly shifters to get some speedier gear changes. If I happen to kill the wheels, Id look to shave some weight there too in the future. But none if this is immediately necessary. Bike comes standard with the fun dial on full.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I found it helpful. Thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbrode View Post
    I found it helpful. Thanks for posting.
    Yeah very helpful here is another review that mentioned somewhat "conservative" handling of the Trance 27.5er Giant Trance 27.5 Ridden & Reviewed - Fresh MTB Reviews

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by isthisonetakenthen View Post
    I bought the bike and am loving it. Its a definite all mountain machine. Bit too burly to attempt respectable XC times but can pedal nicely on the flats and gearing is good for all climbs although they will be slow and steady. Still this way you get to talk to your mates instead of try rip them a new one. If you want to open the taps, the weight will eventually get the better of your legs. Best way to ride this is cruise up the hills, then whoop back down them.

My only 2 gripes are, its a bit light on the front wheel for my liking which makes hard work of a tight steep climbs but a little toe dab here and there is worth it for the descent. The other is limited space for a bottle - stumpy only.

Upgrade opportunites are obviously there. Tyres first with a stans conversion. Then possibly shifters to get some speedier gear changes. If I happen to kill the wheels, Id look to shave some weight there too in the future. But none if this is immediately necessary. Bike comes standard with the fun dial on full.
    I liked Anthem but went with Trance 3 and I like the bike a lot. Especially that I went from 2001 Kona Cinder Cone to that bike, which made a huge difference. Here in Florida we don't have 1 mile downhill slopes and anything downhill is short, but could be rough. Yesterday I went out ringing in Markham Park and I think, that climbing on that bike is awesome!!! I didn't even get up from the seat and went through some of the most difficult sections in the park. Down the hill was kinda rough, not plush, maybe it need more suspension adjustments. Riding over roots and rocks was comfortable.

As you said, I'll be also improving the bike over the years, like shifters and wheels. I used to have break levers on the inside of the handlebar, which alowed me to use only my index fingers to operate the breaks, but with the shifters provided I can't flip them.

For the money I couldn't find a better bike.